volchitsa

Flowing

I've been wondering if y'all have any tips on how to organize a flow. I can usually hear and write down the arguments, however, my flow is usually just a column of text. I do indent between arguments, of course. However, I've yet to find a way to delineate clearly between arguments so I know where one argument starts and another begins. I want advice on how to label or delineate between arguments on the flow in such a way that my eyes would immediately find it if I were to be trying to give a speech and needed to reference my flow. The current way I flow, It is very hard for me to give speeches off my flow because I can't find where the arguments are on the paper.

Are you using 8.5x14 inch legal paper? The extra space helps a ton, and allows you to space out arguments more on the flow.

This might be a stupid question, but are you using a different sheet for each offcase and case page? Advantages, and offcase positions should all have their own page.

Have you tried drawing a line between arguments? This is something my partner does, it looks something like this, notice the clear distinction between link and impact sections of the 1NC?

The aff is capitalist

Feffer 00

>insert warrants here

------------------------------------

Capitalism is unethical

Zizek & Daly 04

>insert warrants here

-----------------------------------

Etc.

Are you drawing lines between speeches and flowing in different colors? It looks something like this

Aff is capitalist      |      No it isn't                   |

Feffer 00               |     Marx 18-something     |

---------------------         ------------------------------

• Upvote 1

i flow so that it's "visually pleasing" (my team loves my flowing? idk why) but idk thats a me thing

i usually place the title of the flow in the top center and put about an inch and a half or two between each argument. i also like to use brackets to group arguments and arrows to extend things

also next to each argument, i draw a line with an arrow through it so it looks like this:

[argument]      |        [argument]      |

|->                            |->  

(author) (date)|        (author) (date)|

i flow in two different colors (usually red and black unless im feelin {{{edgy}}}) and use one sheet of paper each for every offcase and advantage/aff part. i write pretty small because i use .5 pens, so i can fit more into the flow. (unpopular opinion: they write faster and look neater)

(i'll prob edit this later to insert a picture of one of my good flows-- i'm at school rn and all of my flows are at home lol)

• Upvote 2

Are you using 8.5x14 inch legal paper? The extra space helps a ton, and allows you to space out arguments more on the flow.

This might be a stupid question, but are you using a different sheet for each offcase and case page? Advantages, and offcase positions should all have their own page.

Have you tried drawing a line between arguments? This is something my partner does, it looks something like this, notice the clear distinction between link and impact sections of the 1NC?

The aff is capitalist

Feffer 00

>insert warrants here

------------------------------------

Capitalism is unethical

Zizek & Daly 04

>insert warrants here

-----------------------------------

Etc.

Are you drawing lines between speeches and flowing in different colors? It looks something like this

Aff is capitalist      |      No it isn't                   |

Feffer 00               |     Marx 18-something     |

---------------------         ------------------------------

I'm currently not flowing on the large paper, because I haven't had a chance to get any yet, but I can  borrow some from my partner to see how it works for me. 

For the drawing lines between arguments to cards, I usually do that when it comes to cards. However, how should I delineate when the argument is a bunch of analytics? Usually, if they just give short sentence analytics to arguments, it's hard for me to lbl bc I can't find them on the flow :(

And yes I'm flowing in different colors and using multiple sheets of paper.

Edited by volchitsa

i flow so that it's "visually pleasing" (my team loves my flowing? idk why) but idk thats a me thing

i usually place the title of the flow in the top center and put about an inch and a half or two between each argument. i also like to use brackets to group arguments and arrows to extend things

also next to each argument, i draw a line with an arrow through it so it looks like this:

[argument]      |        [argument]      |

|->                            |->  

(author) (date)|        (author) (date)|

i flow in two different colors (usually red and black unless im feelin {{{edgy}}}) and use one sheet of paper each for every offcase and advantage/aff part. i write pretty small because i use .5 pens, so i can fit more into the flow. (unpopular opinion: they write faster and look neater)

(i'll prob edit this later to insert a picture of one of my good flows-- i'm at school rn and all of my flows are at home lol)

Thank you, that would be really helpful if you inserted a picture. How would you flow if the answers to say, 1 card, was several very short analytics, that are all different?

For Example

Argument | Answer 1: blahblahblah

Answer 2: yada yada yada

Answer 3: blip blap blip blap

etcetera

I find that if I group them too close together, they look like one argument to me and I have a hard time replying to each of them. Would you recommend still leaving around 1.5 inches to 2 between them?

Additionally, since towards the rebuttal speeches, the arguments aren't in card format anymore, that's usually where my flows begin to become confusing to me.

I'm currently not flowing on the large paper, because I haven't had a chance to get any yet, but I can  borrow some from my partner to see how it works for me. 

For the drawing lines between arguments to cards, I usually do that when it comes to cards. However, how should I delineate when the argument is a bunch of analytics? Usually, if they just give short sentence analytics to arguments, it's hard for me to lbl bc I can't find them on the flow :(

And yes I'm flowing in different colors and using multiple sheets of paper.

Big paper helps a ton. If it's short analytics, you don't necessarily have to draw the line, but write the thesis of the analytic, and star it so you can easily find it.

2AC: Turn, we're a regulation on capitalism which prevents the 1NC impacts

What I flow: *L/T - regulations S cap*

Maybe circle the args? Bring a highlighter and highlight args you know you'll need to reference? I tend to rely more on my flow than my laptop unless I'm reading cards, so the majority of my speeches get written on the flow, which allows for easy LBL, and when I need my laptop to read a card, I'll mark "Read card", "*R.C.*", "ev", or something similar. Just some thoughts.

http://imgur.com/bxLP2EN

So, context. 1AC was nuclear power with US cred and warming advantages, we read a human rights K (which is really just appeasement leads to loss of rights, that's bad, vote neg to be assertive). 2AC says 1) it's a topic link, 2) plan increases US cred, 3) it's hypocritical for the US to criticize. Notice how for the 1NR, I write out 3 links, and a brief alt explanation? Numbering claims and warrants like this is super helpful when it comes to extensions.

Probably another example coming, more if I can find my flows from state.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

http://imgur.com/CXgCF43

My answers to a generic elections DA + Delay CP on the same page (It'd be a waste to flow a plan text on another sheet). Writing you answer to an argument out next to said argument is useful.

• Upvote 1

Thank you, that would be really helpful if you inserted a picture. How would you flow if the answers to say, 1 card, was several very short analytics, that are all different?

For Example

Argument | Answer 1: blahblahblah

Answer 2: yada yada yada

Answer 3: blip blap blip blap

etcetera

I find that if I group them too close together, they look like one argument to me and I have a hard time replying to each of them. Would you recommend still leaving around 1.5 inches to 2 between them?

Additionally, since towards the rebuttal speeches, the arguments aren't in card format anymore, that's usually where my flows begin to become confusing to me.

if there are several short analytics to a certain argument on the flow, i usually try to leave enough space to subpoint them like this:

1. x arg

2. y arg

3. z arg

i use letters, too.

the picture im attaching doesn't show the subpoints, but it does show a more clean version of one of my flows (they get messy):

http://imgur.com/a/DeOqx?

(this isn't a SUPER GOOD flow, but it's simple. pm me if u want to see my Big Flows where i actually write overview stuff. i suck at speaking on the fly, so i usually end up writing like 80% of what i say)

what i usually do is try to write in invisible squares or rectangles that fit the amount of space i left- if what im writing overflows on that square, i usually write on the next column. this usually happens when i'm writing extensions 

edit: also sorry if my handwriting sucks lol 

Edited by queenofdisaster
  • Upvote 1

Christine's flows are probably a better example - Bigger paper allows for more space between arguments, which generally keeps things cleaner

• Upvote 1

http://imgur.com/CXgCF43

My answers to a generic elections DA + Delay CP on the same page (It'd be a waste to flow a plan text on another sheet). Writing you answer to an argument out next to said argument is useful.

Thank you, the flow was helpful nevertheless.

• Upvote 1

if there are several short analytics to a certain argument on the flow, i usually try to leave enough space to subpoint them like this:

1. x arg

2. y arg

3. z arg

i use letters, too.

the picture im attaching doesn't show the subpoints, but it does show a more clean version of one of my flows (they get messy):

http://imgur.com/a/DeOqx?

(this isn't a SUPER GOOD flow, but it's simple. pm me if u want to see my Big Flows where i actually write overview stuff. i suck at speaking on the fly, so i usually end up writing like 80% of what i say)

what i usually do is try to write in invisible squares or rectangles that fit the amount of space i left- if what im writing overflows on that square, i usually write on the next column. this usually happens when i'm writing extensions 

edit: also sorry if my handwriting sucks lol 

Lol, the handwriting is still so much better than mine. I noticed that you were writing arguments next to what they replied to. How would you deal with the argument if you ran out of space to flow it besides that one initial arg? (en example would be like if you have the first link card, and they put a bunch of arguments that were separate of each other on that link card, and then they went on to the other link card, but you weren't able to flow the arguments to the second link card next to the actual card because the replies to the first card were so long)

*also, your flowss are soo neattttt. 0.0 I think I'm going to invest in long paper and try to space my arguments 1.5 to 2 inches apart like you do.

Edited by volchitsa

Lol, the handwriting is still so much better than mine. I noticed that you were writing arguments next to what they replied to. How would you deal with the argument if you ran out of space to flow it besides that one initial arg? (en example would be like if you have the first link card, and they put a bunch of arguments that were separate of each other on that link card, and then they went on to the other link card, but you weren't able to flow the arguments to the second link card next to the actual card because the replies to the first card were so long)

*also, your flowss are soo neattttt. 0.0 I think I'm going to invest in long paper and try to space my arguments 1.5 to 2 inches apart like you do.

The space thing is a big part of having enough room to flow all of their answers to one argument, so its best to try to leave some space between the link and impact section. It sometimes is hard to remember, or maybe you're just bad at that kinda thing like me, then I sometimes let the "link section" dip into the "impact section", but I can handle that happening in terms of organization, ie, I can tell where the links end and the impacts begin.