volchitsa

1AR Drills

Hey, I'm looking for drills that will help me give better 1ARs. So drills that can help improve clarity/diction, efficiency, and speed. Specifically, drills that could help me learn to spread analytics faster would be great. I can read pretty fast already, but I'm a bit slow when I have to spread analytics.

Summarize your 1ac cards off the top of your head as quickly as you can. Have your partner/coach evaluate how well you do. Do rebuttal redos and cut out unnecessary parts or sections where you rambled. If you're doing the redos with a coach fix or follow whatever they suggest.

• Upvote 1

Summarize your 1ac cards off the top of your head as quickly as you can. Have your partner/coach evaluate how well you do. Do rebuttal redos and cut out unnecessary parts or sections where you rambled. If you're doing the redos with a coach fix or follow whatever they suggest.

This

Hey, I'm looking for drills that will help me give better 1ARs. So drills that can help improve clarity/diction, efficiency, and speed. Specifically, drills that could help me learn to spread analytics faster would be great. I can read pretty fast already, but I'm a bit slow when I have to spread analytics.

First off, have good flows. Those will be brilliant in helping you figure out who dropped what and where, and what you need to carry over, they'll also make it easier to spread your analytics. The absolute best way to do 1AR drills (and any sort of drills imo) is to just run a practice round, that way it's not out of context, i.e: you feel like it would during a real round. But if you can't, the write yourself a round up to the 1AR, i.e: flow the hypothetical 1AC, flow some DAs a K T violation maybe a CP and case defense/offense, flow the 2AC responses, and then the block. Make a round, that way you have at least some context on what the 1AR would look like. And spice it up, maybe one round is just 4 T violations and case, maybe another is 5 DAs, maybe the next is just a case and an assload of case defense/offense. You dig?

• Upvote 1

To strictly work on efficiency, I recommend recording every single one of your rebuttal speeches, and then transcribe them to a word document. Transcribe them word for word, including "uh"s and "um"s. Once you transcribe them, go over them and delete things that you know you definitely did not need to say and try rephrasing things in less words. In addition to this, you can also reorganize your speech to allow it to be more easily flowed because the problem with most 1ARs is that they are very disorganized.

• Upvote 2

To strictly work on efficiency, I recommend recording every single one of your rebuttal speeches, and then transcribe them to a word document. Transcribe them word for word, including "uh"s and "um"s. Once you transcribe them, go over them and delete things that you know you definitely did not need to say and try rephrasing things in less words. In addition to this, you can also reorganize your speech to allow it to be more easily flowed because the problem with most 1ARs is that they are very disorganized.

A good way to do it once you transcribe everything is to highlight the document like you would a card. So if part of your rebuttal is "So uh, extend the Kenny evidence - all of their impacts to global warming are mitigated by the fact that we can adapt to global warming through things like drought-resistant crops, floodwalls to protect from flooding, and new technologies to protect ocean life - that means they don't have any impact to the global warming DA"  you could highlight "Extend Kenny - impacts to global warming are mitigated by drought-resistant crops, floodwalls, and technologies to protect ocean life - no impact to the DA."

Another suggestion is to give 1ARs when the block is unreasonably long and there's a ton of off-case. That way you have to decide your best arguments on each one.

There are also some things you can do early on in the debate to prepare yourself for the 1AR. I like to think of Affirmative speeches as toolboxes. So the 1AC is a plan and the box of tools you might need to defend it. The 2AC is picking out the tools you'll need to deal with the Negative strategy. Your 1AR needs to pick a few coherent "tools" that represent strategies the 2AR can go for.

Say the 1N reads a neoliberalism K. Your 2A reads, maybe, framework, some perms, an impact turn, conditionality bad, and a bunch of link defense. Start to plan out in your mind what you want in the 1AR. "Okay, I'll want framework for sure so we can weigh the Aff - they'll probably do a bunch of stuff on that in the block, so I should allocate some time to it. The judge didn't seem to like condo - I don't think I'll go for that unless they drop it. I didn't think the impact turn was very strong, so I think I'll spend the rest of the time on the better of the permutations and the link debate."

Then you can revise that strategy as you go. But don't wait until pre-1AR prep-time to start your strategy. Communicate with your 2A about what arguments they need to win the debate in the 2AR.

One more thing - I think that redoing the same rebuttal over and over again is okay, but I think it would be better to give the same 1AR testing out different time allocation. The first reason for this is if you give the same exact speech a bunch, you start to give it from memory. The second reason is that you should feel comfortable with every 2AC argument, because the block might functionally force you to go for it.

• Upvote 2