jjdebate

Best Sophomore Team?

Let me know who y'all think the best sophomore team is on the Texas circuit, hopefully after TFA state everyone has had more debates to know more teams!!

I think LASA AC is a sophomore team? I know for a fact Hendrickson GS is. They're both phenomenal debate teams based on their performance at TFA state.

Hendrickson GS

LASA BV

LASA BK

There are a few not bad westwood sophmore teams, Westwood had an absurd number of qualled tfa teams.

Kinkaid HK(not sure if they are soph are juniors)

LASA BV

LASA BK

Isabelle, Caroline, Alex and Ayush are all juniors. I went to middle school with them all, they were a grade above me, and I'm a sophomore now.

Oh damm I didnt know that. maybe they are soph debaters i guess?

Like second years? Nah they were novices when I was. I just know because I used to debate with LASA.

Edit - I should mention even though they're a grade ahead of me we're all third years, I started CX in eighth grade

Edited by AQuackDebater

Like second years? Nah they were novices when I was. I just know because I used to debate with LASA.

Edit - I should mention even though they're a grade ahead of me we're all third years, I started CX in eighth grade

That doesn't make sense b/c LASA BV debated in novice CX finals vs Hendrickson GS at UT last year?

https://www.tabroom.com/index/tourn/results/round_results.mhtml?tourn_id=3576&round_id=142770

That doesn't make sense b/c LASA BV debated in novice CX finals vs Hendrickson GS at UT last year?

https://www.tabroom.com/index/tourn/results/round_results.mhtml?tourn_id=3576&round_id=142770

Shite I was thinking of Kalyani and Katherine for some reason I'm an idiot yeah Isabelle and Caroline are second years

Westwood always has a large number of teams get to state- large program and they lock down austin locals- that being said they have at least 2 or 3 sophomore teams who should be watched for next year depending on summer growth

Harris wilson's partners are only sophomores now- they should be watched

i think an even bigger threat that hasnt been mentioned yet is watch out for greenhill ge- they're only sophomores now but they qualed to the toc and made it to quarters at tfa and lasa ms beat them on only on a 2-1

Edited by vmanAA738
  • Upvote 1

i think an even bigger threat that hasnt been mentioned yet is watch out for greenhill ge- they're only sophomores now but they qualed to the toc and made it to quarters at tfa and lasa ms beat them on only on a 2-1

100% agree but the reason why they haven't been mentioned yet

is b/c little eckert is a soph but his partner is not

Westwood always has a large number of teams get to state- large program and they lock down austin locals- that being said they have at least 2 or 3 sophomore teams who should be watched for next year depending on summer growth

Harris wilson's partners are only sophomores now- they should be watched

Yea they were the only team to beat us in prelims as well. I'm glad Ezra and Mason will be gone next year, even though they're awesome guys! (from Greenhill ge)

Edited by DefendTheWall

I'm glad Ezra and Mason will be gone next year, even though they're awesome guys! (from Greenhill ge)

You're mini-Eckert right? You did really well at state, congrats! Did you guys not have any LDers there?

And yeah honestly having seen LASA up close part of the reason I switched to LD is sheer terror.

What about freshman teams. A lot of good teams tend to shine as first year debaters. I know there were a few freshman only teams at TFA state this year, but I'm not entirely sure if there were any that did well.

I heard westwood had a fresh team(just checked, they went 3-3) but i heard that they just got carried to the tfa qual.

You're mini-Eckert right? You did really well at state, congrats! Did you guys not have any LDers there?

And yeah honestly having seen LASA up close part of the reason I switched to LD is sheer terror.

greenhill did have LDers at state but all 3 of them failed to clear

the westwood freshman team wasn't bad- i judged them in december at a austin local and they were alright- read a japan da against a K aff but they made the round close nonetheless

greenhill did have LDers at state but all 3 of them failed to clear

the westwood freshman team wasn't bad- i judged them in december at a austin local and they were alright- read a japan da against a K aff but they made the round close nonetheless

Oh out of curiosity what's wrong with reading the Japan da in that round?

i mean the aff was: "we advocate a spectral analysis of the political forcing of the debate space to deconstruct the epistemological hauntings caused by the Maoist understanding of China"

a japan da clearly doesn't link to that aff so I had no idea why it was in the 1NC

Do you think they might have read to prove the abuse story? I know a lot of teams in hs policy that read disads like China against k affs just to cross apply the no link to prove fairness etc.

• Upvote 1

Hendrickson GS and LASA BV are very good sophomore teams. I think Montgomery CW is pretty good too, I watched them at a local at the beginning of the season. I know they broke at UT this year and went to the RR. I don't think they broke at state, but i still think they're up there with the people previously mentioned.

Do you think they might have read to prove the abuse story? I know a lot of teams in hs policy that read disads like China against k affs just to cross apply the no link to prove fairness etc.

idk maybe- but still don't like the time trade-off and namely reading things that can't be in the 2NR