NickDB8

Thoughts on complexity for next year?

People are gonna be trying to link education reform to nuclear war. Those links will be sketchy at best. For this reason, would a complexity k be a decent idea to run fairly consistently?

Edited by NickDB8

I don't know if I would advocate running it, "consistently," outright, but, if you're hitting primarily policy affirmatives with big stick impacts, it seems like it would be a solid strategy. Considering the topic itself, I'd probably impact out the educational drawbacks of teaching slippery slope fallacious logic and extremely linear thinking.

Edited by CynicClinic
  • Upvote 2

I think complexity as a critique in and of itself isn't very offensive. Ideally, it should be coupled as a generic case turn with a more specific/offensive criticism.

• Upvote 2

I think complexity as a critique in and of itself isn't very offensive. Ideally, it should be coupled as a generic case turn with a more specific/offensive criticism.

Truth. Thesis of the k is definitely true, but you really cannot gain unique offense from it. So it's probably best to run it like South Eugene (Berstein 2k), and that is like a Case Turn. If you try and articulate it as a kritik, and advocate for Complexity Theory, than you should be able to articulate the impacts very well, because there is evidence out there.
  • Upvote 2

Education

Education is a complex system affected by a litany of factors – the Affirmative’s linear approach is insufficient – complexity solves

Sakowski et. al., IPEA, 15 - (Bernardo Alves Furtado, Researcher at the Directorate of Regional, Urban and Environmental Studies and Policies, Patrícia Alessandra Morita Sakowski, Researcher at Dirur/Ipea. Special Advisor at Dirur/Ipea, Marina Haddad Tóvolli, Research Assistant at Dirur/Ipea, translated to English, IPEA is the “Research Institute of Applied Economics,” April 2015, "A COMPLEXITY APPROACH FOR PUBLIC POLICIES", http://repositorio.ipea.gov.br/bitstream/11058/4945/1/DiscussionPaper_205.pdf, DOA: 9-21-2016) //Snowball

Education systems encompass a large number of heterogeneous agents, whose interactions give rise to learning, teaching, cognition and education. They are comprised of interconnected layers, each of which provides support and restraints to the others. Through mechanisms of feedback and adaptation, these systems and their agents coevolve. All these features make education systems complex. The heterogeneous agents in an education system are, for example, students, teachers, and parents. Every student learns in a different way, every teacher has his/her methods of teaching, and every parent raises his/her child in his/her distinct manner. Learning emerges not only from information passed from teachers, but as the result of interactions between students and other people, both in formal and informal environments.20 Education systems are comprised of various interconnected layers. In a macro perspective, they involve government institutions, such as the Ministry of Education and the network of schools and universities. However, the Ministry of Finance, Health and Transport among others can also be considered part of this system, as they influence the allocation of financial resources, the health conditions to the population, and the accessibility to schools. In a lower level, schools cannot be separated from the context in which they exist. Out-of-school factors, such as the safety of the neighborhood or the socialeconomic standing of the community, impact the attendance of students and their academic performance. Similarly, higher education influences and is influenced by basic education. At the interpersonal level, students interact with their peers, teachers, parents, school managers and the community as a whole, while at the intrapersonal level, learning results from mental processes influenced by personal interests, personal history, hormone levels, working memory and other specific features in response to stimuli from the environment. Educational features in a society emerge thus from the interaction of all these different scales, which cannot be isolated from each other. Due to the complex nature of educational systems, traditional linear methodologies are not sufficient to capture their dynamics. The presence of multiple causalities and non-linearity might even put in doubt the external validity of results obtained in rigorous randomized controlled trials, as controlling for all key variables might be unattainable in educational research (Cohen, Manion e Morrison, 2003). So how can complex systems methodologies help analyze education? First, simply understanding the complex nature of educational systems might help researchers refrain from having a mechanistic view of education, governed by simple causalities and levers that lead to predictable results.

• Upvote 3

What if I explain it as CynicClinic did above, pointing out that this kind of education is flawed and turns case?

Truth. Thesis of the k is definitely true, but you really cannot gain unique offense from it. So it's probably best to run it like South Eugene (Berstein 2k), and that is like a Case Turn. If you try and articulate it as a kritik, and advocate for Complexity Theory, than you should be able to articulate the impacts very well, because there is evidence out there.

Where can I find Berstein 2k?

I disagree that it's not an offensive K. I think complexity theory is useful for solving a host of global issues.

What if I explain it as CynicClinic did above, pointing out that this kind of education is flawed and turns case?

Turns case isn't external offense. Reading a criticism with external offense, and having a turns case arg is good which is why you should read a K with complexity turns on case.

Turns case isn't external offense. Reading a criticism with external offense, and having a turns case arg is good which is why you should read a K with complexity turns on case.

So, how would that K interact with the complexity turns on case, if at all?

Edited by NickDB8

So, how would that K interact with the complexity turns on case, if at all?

It wouldn't have to, but it could. I think complexity would flow well with security or apocalyptic rhetoric.

Agreed. I normally read a complexity turn against LD affs with nuke war impacts for journalist speech *cough*Harvard-Westlake*cough* 

Also I can totally see an economic competitiveness advantage for an aff tying into nuke war really well.