NickDB8

Independent TOC Entries

Me and my partner are looking to go to ToC bid tourneys next year, except without our school's funds, supervision, etc.

Here's what we have/will be getting

- Funds

- Parents / Principal / Coach permission

- Third party supervision / coaching (someone who will coach / supervise / judge for us, but is not our school employed coach)

- A way to get there

- A debater from another squad who would like to help "coach" us / prep

Is it possible to do this? Or enter as my high school, but be taken up by our third party judge/coach/supervisor? Or use our own funding? If anyone knows what limitations, rules, etc., we have to follow, and could get more info to me, that'd be great!

Yes, all of these are possible. Sometimes, however, a school won't let debaters enter into tournaments under its name without a school representative. That can cause trouble with entering as an independent at some tournaments, however many are still generally accepting. 

Yes, all of these are possible. Sometimes, however, a school won't let debaters enter into tournaments under its name without a school representative. That can cause trouble with entering as an independent at some tournaments, however many are still generally accepting.

I've read around online, apparently, if you get a bid, you can't keep it if you're independent?

I've read around online, apparently, if you get a bid, you can't keep it if you're independent?

I mean you still get the bid. I'm pretty sure independents can attend the TOC, but hybrids cannot.

I mean you still get the bid. I'm pretty sure independents can attend the TOC, but hybrids cannot.

Independents can not attend the TOC. If you have your schools permission to use their name, you're not independent

Edited by lbchuck1
  • Upvote 2