2A - Cross Roads EH

3A - Mildred PJ

4A - not jinxing shi

5A - Lindale DT will best Lindale MW in finals

6A - Hendrickson

You forget

LASA MS

Re: ego inflation -

@CynicClinic why do you love UIL so much and believe in it so strongly as to downvote everything I say about it?

I don't want to speak for CynicClinic here but you're not really contributing to the conversation. This was a thread about who qualled to state and no one really cares about your unwarranted interjections of salt. Yes, UIL is flawed but respect that it has some value and is important to many people. You come off as condescending and trying to be edgy and that only creates a more toxic environment. Try engaging in a productive criticism of UIL with warranted arguments or something.

I think UIL sucks but that's beside the point.

• Upvote 4

If I'm being self-aware, I probably do have a bias toward UIL, for reasons that I will explain later in this post. As a result of that, I probably also have some level of bias against other debate circuits that are at odds with UIL values - that's to be expected. If we're both being self-aware, this is likely the case in reverse for your opinion of UIL, and there's nothing inherently wrong with that. Quite frankly, different people are going to like different things, learn in different ways, and excel at different styles - we should never be so reductive and presumptuous as to declare an objectively right or wrong way to debate. That would be, "ego inflation."

That said, for me, UIL's emphasis on communication, slower speeds, and accessibility allowed me to develop a voice that I did not previously have - and I probably wouldn't have developed it in absence of the organization. For context, I had dealt with several speech impediments, including a stutter and a lisp, for many years of my life. Thus, the teacher that would later become my coach approached me with debate as a means by which to overcome my personal limitations. In short, it worked - I went on to win a UIL State Championship my senior year when I previously couldn't even get through a PowerPoint presentation.

Therefore, I do not take issue with your opinions about UIL - I take issue with the assertion that it should not be allowed to exist, and the lack of justification for said claim. This is not an indictment of what is being said, but of what is not - there is an implicit and (in consideration of my situation and others like it) ableist presumption that UIL is somehow lesser, that this particular brand of education has no value, and that everyone in the conversation should be aware of that. The reality is quite the opposite: individual people are not interchangeable, and, "more forms of education," should be prized, not derided, in absence of a powerful opportunity cost.

I completely agree with Ian's analysis. Furthermore, I'm a fairly technical debater myself, I mostly limit myself to TFA and NatCir LD, but I always love UIL tournaments and district meets - for cx as well as LD - because the analysis you see is always spot-on. I've been beat by debaters half as technically skilled as myself simply because they were better able to communicate their point and ideas, deconstruct and analyze the arguments in a simple manner, and I think UIL teaches that in a more effective way than TFA.

Also Ian's a state champ and we're not lol just saying.

• Upvote 1

The first half of the tournament is now complete! A hearty congratulations to these 2017 UIL State Champions:

• 1A: Roscoe Highland PP
  • 2A: Saratoga West Hardin CM
  • 3A: Mildred JM

The 4A, 5A, and 6A schools will have their tournament this weekend. Best of luck to all!

• Upvote 1