LaurenMutton

Has anyone ever qualified to the ToC 4 times?

I don't know if anyone has but I know that this year MBA has a team made up of a freshman and a sophomore that has multiple bids, so I would expect the freshman to have qualified 4 times by his senior year

Which team?

I think John Spurlock qualled 4 times to the Toc? Correct me if I'm wrong

idk about that, but he got a first round bid to the NDT FOUR YEARS IN A ROW.

Aden Barton will do it for sure, he's a beast and a freshman. Also think Conal Thomas-McGinnis will do it in LD since he's gone last year and is a sophomore rn (I think?)

• Upvote 1

dude where did this god-meme debate?

Conal Thomas-McGinnis will do it in LD since he's gone last year and is a sophomore rn (I think?)

What school is he at?

I'm pretty sure in LD Raffi Piliero from Harrison has gon all 4 years. He's got 13 bids rn I think

what is a first round bid? what's the qualification process for the NDT?

what is a first round bid? what's the qualification process for the NDT?

a first round bid means that he did not need to attend the district qualifier. He had performed well enough throughout the season to be recognized in a poll by coaches such that he automatically qualified to the NDT.

You can qualify by first round bid (above), you can qualify at a district tournament with slots depending on the size of the district, or you can get a second round bid after districts if you didn't qualify in one of the other methods. Like first round bids, the second round recognizes debaters that are good, but had very tough competition at district and still are believed to deserve a spot at the NDT. An example is that if two teams from your school qualified already, your school may be allowed to send a third team, however this honor is only given to 6 schools per year.

• Upvote 1

C.K. McClatchey and he won the TOC his senior year of 2013. He now debates at Berkeley.

a first round bid means that he did not need to attend the district qualifier. He had performed well enough throughout the season to be recognized in a poll by coaches such that he automatically qualified to the NDT.

You can qualify by first round bid (above), you can qualify at a district tournament with slots depending on the size of the district, or you can get a second round bid after districts if you didn't qualify in one of the other methods. Like first round bids, the second round recognizes debaters that are good, but had very tough competition at district and still are believed to deserve a spot at the NDT. An example is that if two teams from your school qualified already, your school may be allowed to send a third team, however this honor is only given to 6 schools per year.

Thanks a lot. That sounds easier than qualifying for the TOC but what do i know

A lot of his debating, especially in college, is available on youtube. Search for Berkeley MS or CK McClatchy H(?)S

Spurlock is smart as hell and a really good debater. The reason i like him so much is because he's a good debater not by being absurdly fast or overly bogged down in tech but by being smart, strategic, and good at explaining stuff. I feel like a lot of the time debaters are really all over the place and hard to follow and Spurlock is just.... not, if that makes sense.

Edited by Nonegfiat
  • Upvote 1

A lot of his debating, especially in college, is available on youtube. Search for Berkeley MS or CK McClatchy H(?)S

Spurlock is smart as hell and a really good debater. The reason i like him so much is because he's a good debater not by being absurdly fast or overly bogged down in tech but by being smart, strategic, and good at explaining stuff. I feel like a lot of the time debaters are really all over the place and hard to follow and Spurlock is just.... not, if that makes sense.

Michael Koo made a lot of sense when I flowed his rounds

• Upvote 2

well, it's college debate so you're clearly wrong

I mean from a strictly procedural standpoint. Obviously college debate is harder than high school debate

Yeah he's kinda like Hemanth, Hemanth is ridiculously good while not even being too fast

Also, I'm pretty sure Harrison RP didn't qual sophomore or freshman year, but he did make it to octos 11th

Edited by crazyman1090

Yeah he's kinda like Hemanth, Hemanth is ridiculously good while not even being too fast

Also, I'm pretty sure Harrison RP didn't qual sophomore or freshman year, but he did make it to octos 11th

Hemanth makes really smart arguments that refute the opponent's argument in many different ways.