Nonegfiat

Who's gonna win the TOC?

I hope you're right, if only so we don't have to endure another stale fucking framework debate for the third year in a row

I actually think New Trier has a decent shot against McDonogh. They've been stellar this tournament and when you get to late outrounds like this, all bets are off in terms of who's supposed to be the "better team"

i mean yeah, some teams have more experience in high pressure situations, but i don't think new trier is suffering from any lack of that

so i'm picking new trier. And yes, it's partly because I like to be different

Peninsula won on a 3-0 against Westminster. McDonogh beat New Trier on a 2-1, Hemanth sat.

Edited by elmeryang00

I like Peninsula's chances to win finals if McDonogh beats New Trier especially if they're aff. Peninsula has perfected a now nearly unbeatable strategy against McDonogh after hitting them like 5-6 times over the season, especially after that loss in Blake Finals. 

Edit: Peninsula is Aff - they'll win on a 2-1, I'm calling it.

Edited by elmeryang00

Finals will be Peninsula vs McDonogh JN (again)

Peninsula will win (again)

Predictable outcome but at least raam tambae will finally win a championship

lmao I guess winning NSDA and a couple octos bids doesn't count?

• Downvote 1

lmao I guess winning NSDA and a couple octos bids doesn't count?

Octos bids aren't championships, and NSDA isn't national circuit so I don't really count that

My comment wasn't meant to be sarcastic, Raam's a friend of mine so I hope he wins

Well anyone who guessed McDonough guessed right as they won 3-0 neg, supposedly it was a good round (unfortunately I didn't have the honor to watch, but I heard it was REALLY good)

• Upvote 2

3-0 McDonogh

Peninsula was ok but ultimately it leaned pretty heavily neg to McDonogh - I think the K strategy included some new nuances especially in framing (making the debate a question of metaphysics and antiethical framing) that caught peninsula off-guard, especially the two rebuttals were not very good on their side

3-0 McDonogh

Peninsula was ok but ultimately it leaned pretty heavily neg to McDonogh - I think the K strategy included some new nuances especially in framing (making the debate a question of metaphysics and antiethical framing) that caught peninsula off-guard, especially the two rebuttals were not very good on their side

Peninsula has always had a bit of a problem with debating unfamiliar arguments; they're really good when they control the debate, but not when they're forced out of their comfort zone

• Upvote 1

Octos bids aren't championships, and NSDA isn't national circuit so I don't really count that

My comment wasn't meant to be sarcastic, Raam's a friend of mine so I hope he wins

NSDA was still one of the first national tournaments, and many circuit debaters go deep into the tournament.

Octos bids are still impressive.

Don't devalue anyone's achievements, especially your friends.

• Downvote 3

Well anyone who guessed McDonough guessed right as they won 3-0 neg, supposedly it was a good round (unfortunately I didn't have the honor to watch, but I heard it was REALLY good)

Hats off to McDonough for a great year, and I'm glad there got to be a Final round between two of the superpowers (granted New Trier, Baltimore, Lhasa, and Montgomery Bell all have outstanding teams that equally deserved a spot). I've had the pleasure of debating Jerry and Raam and they very much stand up to their NDCA position as Number 1 team, though I was rooting for McDonough.

If anyone has a recording of the Finals round or any Semis/ Quarters rounds or knows someone who does, it would be awesome if you could hit me/ the rest of Cross-X up with a link or copy if possible.

• Upvote 3

NSDA was still one of the first national tournaments, and many circuit debaters go deep into the tournament.

Octos bids are still impressive.

Don't devalue anyone's achievements, especially your friends.

What the fuck? I didn't devalue anyone's accomplishments. I just said "it'd be cool for him to win a championship".

Just because those tournaments aren't "championships" doesn't mean they aren't impressive to win. Peninsula was incredibly impressive this entire season and I aspire to achieve their level of dominance.

I don't know where you get off thinking I "devalued their accomplishments". Don't be an arrogant prick.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

If anyone has a recording of the Finals round or any Semis/ Quarters rounds or knows someone who does, it would be awesome if you could hit me/ the rest of Cross-X up with a link or copy if possible.

Here is the final round. I don't know who recorded it, but thanks to whoever did.

Edit: The video appears to be a bit sketchy, but we can be happy with what we have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXbeE4rFOgo

Edited by diantonion
  • Upvote 5

What the fuck? I didn't devalue anyone's accomplishments. I just said "it'd be cool for him to win a championship".

Just because those tournaments aren't "championships" doesn't mean they aren't impressive to win. Peninsula was incredibly impressive this entire season and I aspire to achieve their level of dominance.

I don't know where you get off thinking I "devalued their accomplishments". Don't be an arrogant prick.

You are the one that said NSDA nationals isn't a championship. That is definitely devaluing a legit national tournament that many schools and debaters consider important, even if it isn't the TOC. 

I don't know why you are getting so defensive, nor why you responded by calling me an "arrogant prick," when I'm just pointing out that you have looked down upon a team that worked hard to win a championship. You stated that you don't count NSDA as a championship because it isn't a "national circuit tournament" despite the fact that for many years it was one of the only national championship tournaments that Kansas debaters could go to, and that many national circuit debaters work hard to succeed as a sort of victory lap at the end of the year.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't know why you are getting so defensive, nor why you responded by calling me an "arrogant prick," when I'm just pointing out that you have looked down upon a team that worked hard to win a championship.

I didn't. I said that Raam is a friend of mine, and I was rooting for him to win the TOC. I did not say "winning NSDA is not impressive".

Yes, winning NSDA is incredibly impressive. Winning the TOC, in my mind, is even more impressive. That's all I'm saying.

I didn't. I said that Raam is a friend of mine, and I was rooting for him to win the TOC. I did not say "winning NSDA is not impressive".

Yes, winning NSDA is incredibly impressive. Winning the TOC, in my mind, is even more impressive. That's all I'm saying.

It didn't come off like that. One of your posts said something like I don't count NSDA because it isn't national circuit.

No one disagrees that TOC is more impressive.