theoneandonly

first vcx tournament...

Understand your arguments

edit: Killer files won't help you if you don't understand them

Edited by Carl
  • Upvote 3

I meant in that you can't go out and say "I need some really good files/arguments/kritiks for this tournament". That's not gonna help you. You should focus on understanding the evidence you have.

I meant in that you can't go out and say "I need some really good files/arguments/kritiks for this tournament". That's not gonna help you. You should focus on understanding the evidence you have.

oh okay... do you have any tips in terms what to expect?

oh okay... do you have any tips in terms what to expect?

Well it depends on what Aff your running, but Security and Orientalism are pretty popular for this topic

I absolutely agree with what Carl said. Lots of people win varsity rounds with stock affs and generic disads. Don't outsmart yourself. Go for the arguments that you know well and are prepared to explain. 

Resist the temptation to be overwhelmed by everything. People will put lots of arguments on the flow and it's very easy to look at that and think it's impossible to adequately cover everything. While some trial and error is inevitable, at the end of the day it's just debate. If you know your evidence and warrants, that is all you need in order to extend your arguments.

Same thing goes with kritiks. People will read k's that are absolutely loaded with jargon and make absolutely no sense. They're designed to be like this, and when I judge in the future, teams are going to pay for treating their arguments this way. The argument is almost NEVER as complicated as they try to make it sound, and i guarantee it's something you're capable of understanding. So use CX to your advantage. Many CX's start with asking the other team to define a key term or explain what the alt does. these are useful questions. 

Lastly, learning is key. Every time I lose a round, I take notes so I can record the details of the round before i forget, crystallize the reason we lost, and use that as guidance for prep for the next tournament. It doesn't have to be notes; do whatever works for you, but taking specific lessons from your losses is absolutely key to getting better

edit: typo

Edited by Nonegfiat
  • Upvote 6

Honestly I'm still a novice too (and carl above is my partner) but I'm really good friends with a varsity debater so maybe i'm able to give tips:

Read the internals of your cards, i can't emphasize this enough, you really have to be able to not only understand your argument but how each card functions in proving that.

I don't know what kind of debaters are in your area, but probably be prepared to argue theory and topicality very well.

DONT RUN ANYTHING TOO COMPLICATED, like this year i've been interested in a few k's but i'm going to abstain from running them because i'm not sure I would do well in a debate round.

I'm going to just say to read your evidence again. You may be able to function only reading the tags of cards and making analytics out of those, but the other team can pick up on something and you need to be able to answer it like an expert. 

You're not gonna do well and thats okay. Losing is okay especially when the people you're facing have been to debate camp multiple times.

(don't oversleep on your tournament day, this isn't special to open but my partner had to go mav for two rounds :/)

yeah idk i'm probably not the best source but I hope this helps!

Honestly I'm still a novice too (and carl above is my partner) but I'm really good friends with a varsity debater so maybe i'm able to give tips:

Read the internals of your cards, i can't emphasize this enough, you really have to be able to not only understand your argument but how each card functions in proving that.

I don't know what kind of debaters are in your area, but probably be prepared to argue theory and topicality very well.

DONT RUN ANYTHING TOO COMPLICATED, like this year i've been interested in a few k's but i'm going to abstain from running them because i'm not sure I would do well in a debate round.

I'm going to just say to read your evidence again. You may be able to function only reading the tags of cards and making analytics out of those, but the other team can pick up on something and you need to be able to answer it like an expert. 

You're not gonna do well and thats okay. Losing is okay especially when the people you're facing have been to debate camp multiple times.

(don't oversleep on your tournament day, this isn't special to open but my partner had to go mav for two rounds :/)

yeah idk i'm probably not the best source but I hope this helps!

Edited by shreyasr711