ianc403

Thoughts on a forum revamp

Like a full on tourney style thing? with like prelims and elims? 

Yeah, maybe once a month or so we could have a full tournament with prelims and elims.

I will be tapping certain community members for their feedback in the development of this. Between here and Reddit there Is more than enough support to proceed with it, now it's a question of not releasing a half-assed project. With this in mind, I'm aiming for a limited beta release very soon, and I have already begun to tap certain individuals for more specific feed back

Just a thought--- you might want to consult some folks at NDCA to get some popularity?

Once a beta has been released, I will consider this further.

As for other concerns, such as trolls (as exhibited so kindly above) - XenForo has some fantastic anti-troll features that allow discouragement (trolling the troll, so to speak), thread ban, catagorical bans, and shadowbanning, as well as forum-wide bans, in addition to spam sensors that will help alleviate the trolling issues. 

• Upvote 1

Once a beta has been released, I will consider this further.

As for other concerns, such as trolls (as exhibited so kindly above) - XenForo has some fantastic anti-troll features that allow discouragement (trolling the troll, so to speak), thread ban, catagorical bans, and shadowbanning, as well as forum-wide bans, in addition to spam sensors that will help alleviate the trolling issues. 

YOU HEAR THAT KIDDIES

THAT'S WHAT FREEDOM SOUNDS LIKE

• Upvote 4

All moderators will have full access to anti-troll features - thank god for the amazing support XenForo has against troll and spam.

So yeah, that said, I have begun inviting community members to the forum to help beta test and design it. Here's to an awesome community, fellow debaters

Screenshot time:

b1aS2zkg.png

Putting together the front-page for y'all! (this is the time to make comments on how it looks too)

Edited by ianc403
  • Upvote 4

Screenshot time:

b1aS2zkg.png

Putting together the front-page for y'all! (this is the time to make comments on how it looks too)

looks great! Will the front page always be free evidence compilation or can it be any given thread?

looks great! Will the front page always be free evidence compilation or can it be any given thread?

Any thread can be on the front page - obviously, it's still undergoing stylistic revisions, but it's a start!

• Upvote 2

Added and testing a discord widget - just mostly other aesthetic changes and stuff today. A big component of the forums to me is maintaining a high-quality aesthetic.

Edited by ianc403

Hey guys, Ian here with a bit of an update!

The forums are actually nearing a very open beta state - the staff and I have been hard at work with all of our testers to bring an enjoyable experience to you all. The tournament system is almost complete, and then once the store is finished, we will be opening it up to the public. We are very excited to bring this to the community as a whole :) 

• Upvote 3

This is awesome. I joined cross x way past it's prime and have been combing the archives for any hint of useful information. If this pans out it could be an awesome revival. You all should make an update on the high school policy debate page to get some attention.

Jk. I went ahead and made a post.

Edited by 2LittlePrep
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

For what it's worth, I've been doing some work on a Cross-X replacement throughout the year (been too busy during the season), but it's slated to be finished/published early this summer.  Not trying to stop/discourage what ianc403 is doing, but if y'all are working on this for the sole purpose of a forum replacement then your needs will be met soon.

This project appears to be apparently postponed - Ian has been busy recently, with State prep, as well as ACT prep, and general schoolwork.

This project appears to be apparently postponed - Ian has been busy recently, with State prep, as well as ACT prep, and general schoolwork.

I do want to clarify that this Ian is not referring to me - the forum owner is also named Ian.