ianc403

Thoughts on a forum revamp

(Note: This is a modified version of my post on r/Debate, see original here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Debate/comments/5o7blr/thoughts_on_creating_a_new_debateoriented_forum/)

Hey, Cross-X - I'm a bit of a new comer to the online debate community, but I've been a long-term lurker of this forum. With the recent trolls and the lack of adequate administration, it's a bit upsetting to me to see the community I've been a fan of begin to shrink even more, so I wanted to throw an idea out there.

I am willing to set up a new debate-oriented forum, not just for policy, but for all types of debate, if people were willing, but I wanted to get feedback from a wider community. I am aware of the reddit community and how strong it is  but I feel operating a (new) forum would give the opportunity to set up things like Evazon, foster communication easier, and keep the community appraised of events more easily, as well as give a much-needed facelift to what this site is for. 

That said, I don't know how much support there exists so far. I am willing to foot the bill and set it up myself, but if there is no support, I am content just transitioning over to the reddit community. What are your thoughts? I don't intend to provoke or inflame, and pardon my naivete, but is this something you would be interested in, or should I not concern myself and rather just continue to utilize this forum? 

• Upvote 4

I'm in support of this. As much fun as I've had on cross-x, the site is WAY past its prime, and suffers badly from absent leadership. I mean just look at it. So many parts of the site go unused (calendar, Evazon, blogs, and most of the subforums), the whole thing feels like an empty amusement park. And that's not even mentioning the trolls. No one should be subjected to the kind of violent discourse that's been coming from these trolls. We grit our teeth and try our best to ignore it, and mods ban them when they can, but this should not be happening to begin with. Mods on this site have even talked about the need for and endorsed the idea of moving this community elsewhere. And I am in full agreement because the community is what keeps me coming back. The site itself is dysfunctional.

That said, if you're going to make a forum for all debate, my request is that it actually be usable for debaters of all stripes. r/Debate is bad for this because the structure of Reddit makes it so that PF and LD links get more exposure because those events are more popular which leads to more upvotes, and that chokes out Policy content. There should be clearly defined subsections for each event so that everyone can find a niche. 

Thanks for taking this initiative.

Edited by Nonegfiat
  • Upvote 5

I'm in support of this. As much fun as I've had on cross-x, the site is WAY past its prime, and suffers badly from absent leadership. I mean just look at it. So many parts of the site go unused (calendar, Evazon, blogs, and most of the subforums), the whole thing feels like an empty amusement park. And that's not even mentioning the trolls. No one should be subjected to the kind of violent discourse that's been coming from these trolls. We grit our teeth and try our best to ignore it, and mods ban them when they can, but this should not be happening to begin with. Mods on this site have even talked about the need for and endorsed the idea of moving this community elsewhere. And I am in full agreement because the community is what keeps me coming back. The site itself is dysfunctional.

That said, if you're going to make a forum for all debate, my request is that it actually be usable for debaters of all stripes. r/Debate is bad for this because the structure of Reddit makes it so that PF and LD links get more exposure because those events more popular which leads to more upvotes, and that chokes out Policy content. There should be clearly defined subsections for each event so that everyone can find a niche. 

Thanks for taking this initiative.

If enough support for this is garnered, I'll be tapping members of all types of debate to ensure it adequately meets all of their needs.  I have no problem paying for and funding this myself, I just want to make sure it'll gain traction. 

• Upvote 1

If enough support for this is garnered, I'll be tapping members of all types of debate to ensure it adequately meets all of their needs.  I have no problem paying for and funding this myself, I just want to make sure it'll gain traction. 

In that case, go for it. Plenty of members of Cross-X would be happy to fill out your initial user base, I'm sure - and even if you don't achieve a full migration, having another debate community with its own unique ideas would still be an asset to the event at large.

• Upvote 3

In that case, go for it. Plenty of members of Cross-X would be happy to fill out your initial user base, I'm sure - and even if you don't achieve a full migration, having another debate community with its own unique ideas would still be an asset to the event at large.

Ahead of you there - I aim to have at least a basic forum structure set up tonight, and then I'll be tapping community members to refine aspects and help fine-tune some of the components necessary to create an adequate discussion base. 

• Upvote 1

the problem is getting people to join it. someone tried to do it with duhbait a while back, and it worked for awhile but the interface was foreign so it didn't generate the same following, and didn't have the same sign-value that cross-x did.

• Upvote 3

Me and the other owners of Exodus Files have started putting one together, but it is more policy-oriented. Maybe consider it, make a few changes? I'm open to a migration to somewhere else, regardless of where it is.

• Upvote 1

Me and the other owners of Exodus Files have started putting one together, but it is more policy-oriented. Maybe consider it, make a few changes? I'm open to a migration to somewhere else, regardless of where it is.

I'll put together the prototype tonight, and if you are willing to brainstorm a few ideas, I am definitely open to discussion - I do intend, however, to orient it towards all members of the debate community. 

the problem is getting people to join it. someone tried to do it with duhbait a while back, and it worked for awhile but the interface was foreign so it didn't generate the same following, and didn't have the same sign-value that cross-x did.

If interface simplicity is an issue, I am using XenForo as the backend, which, in my opinion, provides a clean, simple, effective UI. I will post screenshots once I have a basic node tree set up (pre-styling, of course)

EDIT: With no styling, and minimal work on the node structure, the UI would look *similar* to this, although this is before I actually get into any work making it look good or functional.

uXRzz1q.png

Edited by ianc403
  • Upvote 3

have you all seen/joined the debate discord from r/debate and r/policydebate? its pretty cool, it was initially a program used for gaming but theyre using it for debate stuff and i think it works pretty well and has cool features and stuff, you could possibly make one of those but more specific to policy debate rather than every kind if you want

• Upvote 2

have you all seen/joined the debate discord from r/debate and r/policydebate? its pretty cool, it was initially a program used for gaming but theyre using it for debate stuff and i think it works pretty well and has cool features and stuff, you could possibly make one of those but more specific to policy debate rather than every kind if you want

I'll look into it as well! Thanks for the suggestion.

• Upvote 1

(Note: This is a modified version of my post on r/Debate, see original here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Debate/comments/5o7blr/thoughts_on_creating_a_new_debateoriented_forum/)

Hey, Cross-X - I'm a bit of a new comer to the online debate community, but I've been a long-term lurker of this forum. With the recent trolls and the lack of adequate administration, it's a bit upsetting to me to see the community I've been a fan of begin to shrink even more, so I wanted to throw an idea out there.

I am willing to set up a new debate-oriented forum, not just for policy, but for all types of debate, if people were willing, but I wanted to get feedback from a wider community. I am aware of the reddit community and how strong it is  but I feel operating a (new) forum would give the opportunity to set up things like Evazon, foster communication easier, and keep the community appraised of events more easily, as well as give a much-needed facelift to what this site is for. 

That said, I don't know how much support there exists so far. I am willing to foot the bill and set it up myself, but if there is no support, I am content just transitioning over to the reddit community. What are your thoughts? I don't intend to provoke or inflame, and pardon my naivete, but is this something you would be interested in, or should I not concern myself and rather just continue to utilize this forum? 

Will there be moderators on this website? If so, how will they be chosen. If you create a section for people to sell their own files, will it be 100% in the sellers pocket or will you take a fee? Will there be a weekly ptx file? Obviously you may not have answers yet to these questions, but these are things to think about s you progress the website. 

• Upvote 1

Will there be moderators on this website? If so, how will they be chosen. If you create a section for people to sell their own files, will it be 100% in the sellers pocket or will you take a fee? Will there be a weekly ptx file? Obviously you may not have answers yet to these questions, but these are things to think about s you progress the website. 

There will at least be one moderator per section of the forum, plus more as the forum develops as per need. They'll be chosen either by me tapping existing moderators on the reddit community / this forum, or just by community consensus - this will be one of the key determinations as the forum develops.

I do intend to have a file marketplace within a few weeks of forum release, and I intend to set up a 2.5 to 5% commission - the forum to me, is not an endeavor for personal profit, but I want it to be self-sustaining, so whatever percentage is necessary to pay for hosting fees for the forum. This to me is a very important component - the forum is not a mechanism for profit, but I want it to be self-sustaining. An important mechanism I want to implement is a 2 administrator / 1 interim admin system - if one administrator goes inactive, the 2nd can still administrate the website.

As for a weekly ptx file, this is doubtful initially, as the whole point of the forum is to foster for all debate styles, rather than just policy. Potentially, down the road when there is a strong community, this can be addressed further for each individual style of the debate, but initially, it'll have to be a community driven thing.

Edited by ianc403

Honestly looking at the exodusfiles site, and having recently dealt with Nick, I ca say that he's pretty killer at running things and setting them up, and I'd love to see a collab between you two

• Upvote 3

Honestly looking at the exodusfiles site, and having recently dealt with Nick, I ca say that he's pretty killer at running things and setting them up, and I'd love to see a collab between you two

I would be very interested as well - I don't want to replace his (quite frankly) fantastic efforts, but the fact of the matter is, someone with more technical knowledge of debate would be appreciated to ensure the community flows smoothly. This is a dialogue I would love to have with Nick if he is willing.

Edited by ianc403
  • Upvote 1

I'm totally down to help out with this in any way I can, as a pretty competitive LDer I may be of use in that section of the site, or just spreading the word. Feel free to hit me up. But yeah honestly this forum is dying, and like a phoenix it deserves to be reborn

• Upvote 1

I'm totally down to help out with this in any way I can, as a pretty competitive LDer I may be of use in that section of the site, or just spreading the word. Feel free to hit me up. But yeah honestly this forum is dying, and like a phoenix it deserves to be reborn

I will definitely keep that in mind! I will first extend a conversation to Nick, and then I'll begin to tap other community members such as yourself. 

• Upvote 1

I will definitely keep that in mind! I will first extend a conversation to Nick, and then I'll begin to tap other community members such as yourself. 

Sounds good, looking forward to it. And I'd like to take a moment to thank you, as well as Nick and everyone else who's looking to the future. It's really great to see this community changing and evolving, at the risk of sounding cliche. While cross-x was great, it's best days are behind it, and I'm glad we as a community can move on and function. I look forward to seeing how this new debate forum fares! 

Edited by AQuackDebater
  • Upvote 2

For those of you interested in what the prototype of the forums looks like, this is what it looks like now: 

pd3NlOd.png

I feel a fresh coat of paint for a new forum is important. Thoughts? Feedback?

• Upvote 3

For those of you interested in what the prototype of the forums looks like, this is what it looks like now: 

pd3NlOd.png

I feel a fresh coat of paint for a new forum is important. Thoughts? Feedback?

Looks good to me. I like the dark theme - it's easy on the eyes.

Looks good to me. I like the dark theme - it's easy on the eyes.

Of course, assuming this project comes to life, I'll be having a few themes - a light one and a dark one at least, just to accomodate user preferences.

• Upvote 1

This begs the question - as members of this community, what features are important to you guys in bringing this project to life?

Furthermore, if it is a question of just having a place to discuss, that component is complete. What remains now is to make this new forum community I am creating functional and useful beyond just a forum to discuss. (more coherently: The forum is ready to be used as a place for discussion, and can be released as such right now. Alternatively, before it is released, more functionality can still be added. I leave this decision to the future community members)

Edited by ianc403

Maybe also some kind of online tournament system. We have a rudimentary sort of thing on Cross-X itself, but not a forum based only on that. We could have a sort of area where you can sign up for the tournament and participate in vDebates, or, as the Manhood101 freaks want, LIVE debates.

Edited by TheCMMKritik

I feel that there should be a system where you send your argument (such as an aff) and you can get professional feedback on that argument

Yeah! Like an argument review system, separate from like the general help me/advice section

Maybe also some kind of online tournament system. We have a rudimentary sort of thing on Cross-X itself, but not a forum based only on that. We could have a sort of area where you can sign up for the tournament and participate in vDebates, or, as the Manhood101 freaks want, LIVE debates.

Like a full on tourney style thing? with like prelims and elims? Sounds awesome