Can someone give me the thesis of this kritik? Is it saying that the USE of the state is bad because there is ignored oppression under the state- or is it an argument about international action? I know tuck and yang are popular authors. 

What would the responses be to this argument/what the ballot comes down to?

Can someone give me the thesis of this kritik? Is it saying that the USE of the state is bad because there is ignored oppression under the state- or is it an argument about international action? I know tuck and yang are popular authors. 

What would the responses be to this argument/what the ballot comes down to?

Settler colonialism (as I understand it) is a critique of sovereign nations (namely USfg) colonizing new spaces and demanding the erasure of indigenous peoples as a population in transit, like when history books claim natives are basically extinct, settler colonialism is a STRUCTURE that mandates indigenous peoples assimilate into the dominant culture or be erased entirely. 

Most setcol authors think the use of the state is bad for a slew of reasons- but there are also impact framing args about why things like warming mitigation create a dualism between western and indigenous science which is bad- links are pretty diverse, but some articulation can be godawful (ie omission). So links would mostly chastise the USfg's attempt to render the occupation of natives as something neutral when it comes to IR. 

ie we fear a war with China so bad, the US colonizes island bases and commits war crimes against the islanders- but who really cares cause HEG!? 

If you're referring to what answers should the AFF makes, i think most links don't really apply to plan actions; so no links and perms go far- there usually isn't a reason why alternative understandings of place can't be incorporated into the reading of the AC

Moreover tokenizing "natives" is pretty essentialist and commodifies culture- if they read Churchill that's plagiarism

Also if the ALT is presented like an intellectual decolonization, read Tuck and Yang's decol isnt a metaphor with like reform good and IR good- I think those are pretty decent answers. 

• Upvote 1

Settler colonialism (as I understand it) is a critique of sovereign nations (namely USfg) colonizing new spaces and demanding the erasure of indigenous peoples as a population in transit, like when history books claim natives are basically extinct, settler colonialism is a STRUCTURE that mandates indigenous peoples assimilate into the dominant culture or be erased entirely. 

Most setcol authors think the use of the state is bad for a slew of reasons- but there are also impact framing args about why things like warming mitigation create a dualism between western and indigenous science which is bad- links are pretty diverse, but some articulation can be godawful (ie omission). So links would mostly chastise the USfg's attempt to render the occupation of natives as something neutral when it comes to IR. 

ie we fear a war with China so bad, the US colonizes island bases and commits war crimes against the islanders- but who really cares cause HEG!? 

If you're referring to what answers should the AFF makes, i think most links don't really apply to plan actions; so no links and perms go far- there usually isn't a reason why alternative understandings of place can't be incorporated into the reading of the AC

Moreover tokenizing "natives" is pretty essentialist and commodifies culture- if they read Churchill that's plagiarism

Also if the ALT is presented like an intellectual decolonization, read Tuck and Yang's decol isnt a metaphor with like reform good and IR good- I think those are pretty decent answers. 

So is a base link the use of the state- and that is further supplemented with plan specific links? What are some big casings that link?

So is a base link the use of the state- and that is further supplemented with plan specific links? What are some big casings that link?

I mean, yeah a generic state link is functional- its not very good though. 

As far as affs that link the most-

TPP cause maori sovereignty (tho i think this aff is totally dead)

Arctic council cause inuit have actively disagreed with China's inclusion 

Any warming aff- lots of args here, ie terra sacer

metaphorical acts of decol like Derrida's deconstruction aff

Establishing marine parks historically strips indigenous peoples of things like the right to fish locally

steel and oil BITs cause china destroys native communities (this is more of a neocol arg though)

Any heg aff cause exceptionalism

I mean, yeah a generic state link is functional- its not very good though. 

As far as affs that link the most-

TPP cause maori sovereignty (tho i think this aff is totally dead)

Arctic council cause inuit have actively disagreed with China's inclusion 

Any warming aff- lots of args here, ie terra sacer

metaphorical acts of decol like Derrida's deconstruction aff

Establishing marine parks historically strips indigenous peoples of things like the right to fish locally

steel and oil BITs cause china destroys native communities (this is more of a neocol arg though)

Any heg aff cause exceptionalism

Thanks!

Do you have any links/cards for the warming/artic council/BIT?