PhantomAlterEgo

Tips for Extending Case Efficiently in the 2ac?

I've heard some conflicting advise on how to extend (policy) case in the 2ac - don't do it, short case overview, long case overview, incorporate it into the LBL, etc. (The LBL being my preferred approach).

What do you think, and why?

Edited by PhantomAlterEgo

Overviews are usually not needed if you just have a straight up policy aff (i.e. inherency, solvency, advantages). You usually can just do case extension on the line by line (i.e. "On to Solvency, extend 2AC#1-- that's our blank author indicates that blank blank blank). If you insist, you could read an overview at the top of the flow but it generally is not required in the 2AC. As for the advice that says "don't do it", I would not follow that advice. If you do not extend case into the 2A then you functionally give up all your offense, which would make virtually no sense. These are just my two cents, and I'm sure others have better advice. 

Edited by beck9696

Overviews are usually not needed if you just have a straight up policy aff (i.e. inherency, solvency, advantages). You usually can just do case extension on the line by line (i.e. "On to Solvency, extend 2AC#1-- that's our blank author indicates that blank blank blank). If you insist, you could read an overview at the top of the flow but it generally is not required in the 2AC. As for the advice that says "don't do it", I would not follow that advice. If you do not extend case into the 2A then you functionally give up all your offense, which would make virtually no sense. These are just my two cents, and I'm sure others have better advice. 

What do you think an appropriate length for a case overview should be if I can't extend case on the LBL?

What do you think an appropriate length for a case overview should be if I can't extend case on the LBL?

Two-three sentences, but I can't be certain because it depends on the complexity of the argument and whether it involves an overview or not. 

It depends. If you're just kind of generally trying to extend impacts and solvency, then you can just do it as "Vote aff to implement *plan* to solve *impacts* by *solvency*"

However, if you want to extend certain pieces of ev in particular, as I do a lot, then the way I structure is give that one sentence overview, then something like  "specifically go to *contention x/inherency/solvency/whatever* and extend *evidence* which is gonna do a really good job of showing that *implication*" and just repeat as many times as necessary for cards that benefit from in depth extension. That's how I do it, works really well for me.

If you read two 8 card advantages, it would take a couple minutes to extend the claim, warrant, and implication of each card. I think it's sufficient to explain your thesis in a sentence or two then go right into line by line and move on so you have more time for the off-case.

Poor baudrillbabe. Soon his perfectly good picture is gonna be associated more with the manhood academy troll than with him (if it isnt already)

Kinda like a simulacrum

• Upvote 3

Poor baudrillbabe. Soon his perfectly good picture is gonna be associated more with the manhood academy troll than with him (if it isnt already)

Kinda like a simulacrum

We've created an image of what Bauldrillbabe should look like.