theSwordOfTheMorning

The new topic... Education

Everything links to nuclear war - no exceptions.

The problem is that you have no real timeframe. I proposed this but got called out, rightfully so. They could also just claim that people will be educated in College or in job training.

No more Nietzsche K :(

Oh please. give me 24 hours, I'll have next year's link section my dude. You forget, Nietzsche links if they give a shit.

Henry Giroux, Lord of Cinder

Kappa

Dude hell yeah man I'm reading a critical pedagogy/natives aff on the LD topic already this'll be fun

Honestly, as a former 2N, I really hate that there's no policy neg ground on this topic, although I'm sure I'll find an organized crime link, as always. With that being said, the kritik ground here will be unbelievable, and I am slightly optimistic, although I was hoping for energy (gotta get that nuclear colonialism K my dude). I was just really mad because last year our CX aff case was educational surveillance so between that and coming from a family of educators, it's kind of old news that the US education system sucks ass.

• Upvote 1

The problem is that you have no real timeframe. I proposed this but got called out, rightfully so. They could also just claim that people will be educated in College or in job training.

The card did say within 50 years. Granted, that isn't exactly a good timeframe (and this isn't necessarily a good argument), but it definitely exists. If I was actually planning to debate it, I'd probably find a supplementary brink card that establishes a sooner tipping point. The article name-drops North Korea, Iran, Russia, and China, so there's bound to be something there for one of those.

In response to the second point, I'd argue that high school is a uniquely formative stage of life that is key to risk evaluation and that assuming most people will go beyond secondary schooling is both statistically incorrect and pretty ableist.

• Upvote 1

Thus the Plan Text: The United States Federal Government should substantially increase funding for [insert your school's debate team].

• Upvote 7

Thus the Plan Text: The United States Federal Government should substantially increase funding for [insert your school's debate team].

funding k2 bids

bids k2 vtl

XD

• Upvote 3

I think the number of affs will be small on the topic and the amount of neg ground is going to be even smaller. The only core neg generics I can think of are states CP, spending DA, federalism DA, and T; outside of that the only decent neg ground is k's. 

Also I think the majority of affs next year will be K-ish, if they're not full on K affs because that's just the better ground on this topic- much of the education lit is related to "kritikal" issues, and the wording of the resolution means that a lot of the "policy" issues discussed, like devolving federal control to states, increasing community/neighborhood schooling, or expanding charter schools, probably are not topical because the resolution mandates funding increase and/or regulation increase and the issues above either involve less regulation or less federal funding

• Upvote 1

But think about this: the funding side of the resolution is going almost nonexistent. The Department of Education and federal government only supplies around 9%, or less, of a school's budget, which widely depends on the state and the region, as some states can deny the funding. States like Texas refuse funding from Common Core initiatives so that they can run their own educational programs.

My question is: Where do you see funding coming into the debate space? You couldn't fund teachers from the federal government budget since they are on a local payroll that widely varies per city. Plus any funding that does come from the federal government could be rejected by some states, leading to educational funding inequality links. 

• Upvote 3

First, I just want to say, #NotMyResolution,

And second, I've been making new affs left and right for next year's topic, but me and my uncreative self have ran out of AFF ideas. To be honest, I don't know how far this topic will reach back into policy impacts, but if someone can explain to me just some aff ideas that can be used next year that would be fantastic.

First, I just want to say, #NotMyResolution,

And second, I've been making new affs left and right for next year's topic, but me and my uncreative self have ran out of AFF ideas. To be honest, I don't know how far this topic will reach back into policy impacts, but if someone can explain to me just some aff ideas that can be used next year that would be fantastic.

A rough, unedited list I made when I first heard the topic. Could be helpful, idk

• School-to-Prison pipeline
  • Military recruitment
  • Textbook Whitewashing
  • Ecology of Languages
  • STEM
  • Cap/Productivity
  • Biopolitics?
  • Zero Tolerance Policies (Drugs, fighting, other?)
  • Transgender Bathrooms
  • Teacher Tenure
  • Standardized Testing
  • Sex Ed
  • Upvote 5