ankitsachdeva

Novice k's

Hi y'all,

Im in novice debate and know that in novice debate we shouldnt run K's.

Still, just wondering about some fun BS ks that can win rounds:

- gender k (not sure what its called but when someone uses a gender specific term)

- fun k (their case wasnt funny)

Thanks

Here's a few fun K's

Aesthetics K (they think the world is an aesthetic, easily solvable entity. It's not)

Complexity K (They oversimplify foreign relations)

Speed K (They spread and that's bad)

Cosmopolitan K (The idea of multiple nations is bad)

F word K (They said the F or the B word and that's bad because it's sexist)

Ace K (Everything should be looked at from an asexual point of view to solve unaccountable desire)

Death K (This can be really complicated depending on how you run it. Basically death isn't bad)

Security K (The desire for security is violent and threat assessment is the cause of threats)

The gender K you mention is called the Anti-feminism K. It's kinda similar to anti-blackness which you may have heard of.

I've never seen the fun K run other than that one guy on this forum

If you want to read a K I suggest you familiarize yourself with the Cap K and the Security K. If one of those doesn't link to a policy aff, the other will for sure. In my experience, Ks are easier to read if you know the doc front to back or if you cut it yourself. Fundamental understand of a K is crucial in a K debate.

Edited by Piedude
  • Downvote 1

Hi y'all,

Im in novice debate and know that in novice debate we shouldnt run K's.

Where did you hear that? I see no reason to restrict your learning. Even if you end up running kritiks badly, you're a novice - I wouldn't expect you to run any argument flawlessly. (As far as that goes, plenty of varsity teams run kritiks badly.)

Still, just wondering about some fun BS ks that can win rounds:

I'm going to be straight up with you here: that attitude probably isn't going to win you very many rounds. If you intentionally run arguments that are, as you've said, "BS," you're more than likely going to irritate your judge, and an irritated judge can be incredibly creative in finding reasons to vote you down.

With that said, I usually recommend a Capitalism Kritik as a good jumping-off place for kritikal debate. It's relatively easy to understand (on both sides of the table), and the literature base for it is huge. If that interests you, there are a handful of Cap Ks on OpenEvidence that you can browse through to get started.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1