CynicClinic

Russian Ambassador to Turkey Is Assassinated in Ankara

I won't be posting the NSFL video (which you can easily find at your own discretion), but here's an article to get you up to speed and a brief biography of the deceased.

In the wake of a tragedy such as this, it is both our ethical responsibility as humans to honor the dead and our pragmatic wont as debaters to discuss the implications of the disaster. Accordingly, I will leave it up to the fine community here at Cross-X to decide in which direction(s) to take that conversation.

My bit: No one deserves what happened here today. I wish the man's family the best in these difficult times, and I hope that the rest of the world can respond peacefully and with grace.

Bad timing with Obama's vague threats the last couple days imo. I don't think we did it, and I don't even think Russia thinks we did it, but I think Russia will try to convince people we did it.

Plug this into Google Translate for an interesting story: http://pda.duma.gov.ru/news/273/1826279/.

Do you need another September 11 to realize this and to connect?

Didn't notice this on my first read. Chilling. Does anyone know how I can sell a tip to Fox News for cash? I know they'd jump on this story.

Edited by Chaos

Plug this into Google Translate for an interesting story: http://pda.duma.gov.ru/news/273/1826279/.

Didn't notice this on my first read. Chilling. Does anyone know how I can sell a tip to Fox News for cash? I know they'd jump on this story.

Tweet it and you might just get a diplomatic position in the Trump administration.

• Upvote 1

I legitimately called and emailed Fox and CNN's tip hotlines and told them I had a potential tip for a story concerning high level foreign officials of a major country making inflammatory statements aimed at the US that had not yet been published in English media if they'd agree to pay me money conditional on them wanting to actually run it. Neither got back to me. No one in English media has yet run the story. I understand they must get a bunch of crank calls, but it's still surprising to me they didn't even spend five minutes checking out my claim. The above would have been about a dozen times more newsworthy than most of the stories run by either site.

Not sure what I did wrong. Isn't paying for good news tips a thing that happens in the media world? Maybe I should have started with a lower or higher offer? Their websites could really use clearer guidelines on how everything's supposed to work. It reads like what they really want is shitty cell phone videos of teenagers fighting each other, I swear to God.

Maybe I should have tried more organizations, too. Now it's basically Christmas though, so the story will be stale by the time anyone would actually have an appropriate time slot to run it after writing their take on the event. :(

I could have really used the cash.

Edited by Chaos

I legitimately called and emailed Fox and CNN's tip hotlines and told them I had a potential tip for a story concerning high level foreign officials of a major country making inflammatory statements aimed at the US that had not yet been published in English media if they'd agree to pay me money conditional on them wanting to actually run it. Neither got back to me. No one in English media has yet run the story. I understand they must get a bunch of crank calls, but it's still surprising to me they didn't even spend five minutes checking out my claim. The above would have been about a dozen times more newsworthy than most of the stories run by either site.

Not sure what I did wrong. Isn't paying for good news tips a thing that happens in the media world? Maybe I should have started with a lower or higher offer? Their websites could really use clearer guidelines on how everything's supposed to work. It reads like what they really want is shitty cell phone videos of teenagers fighting each other, I swear to God.

Maybe I should have tried more organizations, too. Now it's basically Christmas though, so the story will be stale by the time anyone would actually have an appropriate time slot to run it after writing their take on the event. :(

I could have really used the cash.

I think that quote is taken out of context. The whole article is basically saying, the world needs to wake up to the new threats of terrorism. They essentially declare war, but on terrorism, not the U.S. The same article says:

A number of US media and Western Europe have reported that after the murder of the ambassador, relations between Russia and Turkey deteriorate - he said. - But it is not so. We will continue to build on the constructive cooperation with the Republic of Turkey at all levels: political, economic, parliamentary diplomacy in the plane. We can not allow any kind and any provocation forces shake our cooperation with partner countries, no matter how complicated the relationship may be. No provocation will not be able to shake the Russian policy of accelerated and powerful confrontation of the century the main threat - international terrorism. 

Fox News would have jumped on that story in a heartbeat and taken the whole thing as a state-sanctioned terrorism threat on the US, to which the rest of the sane media (NYTimes, WaPo, hell, even CNN in this case) would have ridiculed them for.

Edited by ani

Also, Fox News does want shitty cell phone videos of teenagers fighting each other to push their "useless millennials" narrative because millennials tend to be more liberal leaning. Examples:

Essentially, millennials tend to disagree with the Fox News core agenda of societal conservatism and therefore wish to discredit millennials as a crazy, out of line generation that doesn't understand what work means, etc.

Edited by ani

That remark can be taken in either direction. A better translation would likely help. But claiming that the US has engineered coup after coup in Turkey for its own benefit is unambiguously incorrect.

Edited by Chaos