queenofdisaster

good policy affs

hey all!

after abandoning the utnif space aff, i (the 2a) need help finding a new policy aff. 

i'm usually okay with any type of policy aff, but i lean more towards soft left/middle of the road affs.

thank you!!

you could read any of the following: 

taiwan grand bargain

solar tariffs (spin warming as soft left)

cybersecurity

arctic council (spin warming as soft left, also multilat can be middle of road)

currency swaps

BIT

Steel (avoids any sort of politics DA)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

you could read any of the following: 

taiwan grand bargain

solar tariffs (spin warming as soft left)

cybersecurity

arctic council (spin warming as soft left, also multilat can be middle of road)

currency swaps

BIT

Steel (avoids any sort of politics DA)

explain how steel avoids politics DAs

explain how steel avoids politics DAs

steel avoids politics because if the aff saves or promotes the american steel industry then no politician in the country would oppose it right now because

a) saving american manufacturing jobs is incredibly popular right now

b. trump and republicans like plan because it will help them in the midwest, industrial states, and rust belt 

c) democrats like it because it will help unions in theory and it will help them promote "good paying middle class jobs"

Edited by vmanAA738
  • Upvote 1

Any reason you like Uyghurs?

I enjoy all kinds of human rights Affs, and as far as plans go political prisoners seems most defendable to me. Personally, I've never ran it on aff, but every 2NR in front of conservative judges is the HR CP + Uyghur DA + Case D.
  • Upvote 3

Yo benny knows what up, +1 to all the stuff he said. And BIT affs are great, LASA here in Austin runs a really good one on green tech, but you can run them for stuff like space, infrastructure, and the like. hell I have one thats a BIT for OTEC plants, just so I can recycle the 1AC I ran novice year with it's five advantages (Sea Col, Energy, Aquacultures, Warming, and I run a Pan adv) .
I'm a really big fan of Tech coop offs (i.e: nanotech, green tech). And medical coop over traditional chinese medicine is what my school runs and it's worked really well. If you wanna do a human rights aff there's a Tibetan Monks case floating around out there that's distinct enough from the Uyghur case that most people have very little stuff on it. Msg me if you want anything, I'll trade if you have stuff, give it for free if you don't.

• Upvote 1

thank you for all the recommendations so far! i appreciate it a lot.

i'm not very well-versed in the policy side of the affs on this topic (i honestly havent run a policy aff since october) but how can BIT be unique? 

thank you for all the recommendations so far! i appreciate it a lot.

i'm not very well-versed in the policy side of the affs on this topic (i honestly havent run a policy aff since october) but how can BIT be unique? 

you're quite welcome.

Bilateral Investment Treaty affs are great because you can make them be literally about anything. Like you can run it for like green tech, climate coop or space, but I have one for OTEC plants, and another for global infrastructure stuff, and I've seen ones for military development. Because the BIT itself qualifies as both econ and diplo engagement, that satisfies all T requirements, so you can literally make the investment itself be about anything you want. technology/infrastructure, foreign aid, disaster relief, whatever.

• Upvote 1