TheBigDA

Climate change can't be solved cards?

So climate change is real. Sorry, but reality.This being the case, my teams are having trouble winning against climate change Affs on the case debate.

I'm trying to put together a decent block that says climate change is too far along to solve. I have a lot of evidence but I'm lacking warrants that I find truly defensible. Anybody have a couple decent cards they could throw my way?

You can have the most prepped out blocks in the world, but if you hit someone who truly understands warming especially tipping points, you're going to lose on the it's too late debate every day. Your best chance is alt causes 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You can have the most prepped out blocks in the world, but if you hit someone who truly understands warming especially tipping points, you're going to lose on the it's too late debate every day. Your best chance is alt causes 

coming from someone who's OBVIOUSLY never seen a grolar bear

• Upvote 3

What alt causes would you go for? I find that most cases can swing that they solve alt causes to warming too (or at least argue partial solvency from the aff). I feel as though the "too far along to solve arg" preempts this.

Also thanks Vman, pretty good block!  :D

Edited by TheBigDA

What alt causes would you go for? I find that most cases can swing that they solve alt causes to warming too (or at least argue partial solvency from the aff). I feel as though the "too far along to solve arg" preempts this.

Also thanks Vman, pretty good block!  :D

I would say something about plastics in the ocean or methan clathrates tbh, my favorite alt causes especially the Methane clathrates one because it can be used as a warming not solvable

Curbing top ten emitters doesn’t do the trick—broader climate deals are necessary to prevent the worst of warming.

Nat Geo 11/16. (2 Countries Reveal How Divided the World Is on Climate Change. November 16, 2015. http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/11/151116-paris-climate-un-costa-rica-australia-co2-greenhouse-warming-carbon/)

Costa Rica, known for its white-sand beaches and cloud-draped forests, is a meager contributor to global climate change. Its largest provider of electricity, which relies almost entirely on hydropower, can go months without burning any fossil fuels. Yet, despite its miniscule role in warming the climate, this Central American country is among the nations trying hardest to curb greenhouse gases. An ocean away, Australia is another story. This coal-rich nation spews more CO2 per capita than almost every other country, putting it nearly on par with the United States. But Australia lacks Costa Rica's ambition, and its carbon-cutting goal is less aggressive than the U.S. government’s. The tale of these two countries half a world apart highlights an often-overlooked reality: Slowing the relentless pace of climate change requires action by more than just the global juggernauts of the United States, China, and India. And as 195 nations and the 28 member-states of the European Union descend on Paris beginning Nov. 30 to try to lock down the first global agreement to curb CO2, some countries are doing much better than others. Rather than bask in its clean-energy good fortune, Costa Rica is hoping to become carbon-neutral; it’s debating a vehicle carbon tax as part of a plan to get rid of high-polluting cars. Australia, on the other hand, isn't even reducing CO2 as aggressively as its own climate agency has urged, and its former prime minister repealed its carbon tax last year. The difference is as much about history as politics: After decades of bold conservation efforts, Costa Rica’s government is quick to embrace many environmental causes. But in Australia, coal is such a dominant part of its economy and heritage that proponents of fossil fuels drive much of the climate debate, and its politics have been tumultuous in recent years, in part because of the seesawing of its prime ministers over global warming. Costa Rica’s CO2 emissions, at 7 million metric tons a year in 2012, are a fraction of those from Australia, which emitted 391 million metric tons that year, according to the World Resources Institute. In comparison, China spewed orders of magnitude more: 9.3 billion metric tons. With two-thirds of emissions now coming from just 10 countries, it's no wonder all eyes are on the world's superpowers and super-polluters. But nearly 150 other nations, including Gulf oil states such as the United Arab Emirates, already have pledged to curb carbon in the buildup to the UN negotiations. And after two decades of failure on international climate policy, that is widely considered progress. "In some ways, Paris is already a success," says Alden Meyer, the Union of Concerned Scientists' chief climate-policy advocate. "Almost 90 percent of the world's current emissions are covered by countries that have put forward commitments to curb them." Yet these pledges are nowhere near enough to halt a 2-degree Celsius rise in temperature to stave off global warming's worst impacts. "The trends are going in the right direction," Meyer says. "But we're racing against time, and we need to pick up the pace."

The worst part is the last unbolded sentence but if you keep it small you can find some sort of success, if they say their helping all ten emitters just run extra T, you'll sound like a whiner but some judges buy it.

I still haven't cut this because I'm a very silly person.

A lot of Affirmative's talk about the same "two degrees" tipping point. Well.... http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2016/03/01/february_2016_s_shocking_global_warming_temperature_record.html

Also there's probably some articles about arctic oscillation stuff which is a thing.

I still haven't cut this because I'm a very silly person.

A lot of Affirmative's talk about the same "two degrees" tipping point. Well.... http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2016/03/01/february_2016_s_shocking_global_warming_temperature_record.html

Also there's probably some articles about arctic oscillation stuff which is a thing.

I think something to look at is the actual advantages and cut evidence against those, really challenge and contest the aff on one point, depth over breadth type deal in my opinion