PhoenixWright

Novice Finals...Novice Maverick...

Hey, all!

So I'm a novice...a policy novice...whoop.  :sob:

Saturday we had a debate tournament. It was my team's first time breaking, and we made it past semi-finals, to finals!
My partner didn't think we would break, so they were already set to leave before semi's. My partner got permission from their parents to stay one more round, but REALLY needed to leave after that. They convinced me it was fine, though, because we wouldn't make it to finals anyway.    :BB

You know where this is going...we made it to finals.  :Bow

So not only was it my first time mavericking, but it was also my first time in finals...yay.  :x

It ended up going really well, though. I went against a team known for making their opponents cry during cross-ex, so I actually feel like it went well! My 2AR was probably the best I've ever given (I usually give that speech, anyway) and all of the viewers said I won. I was able to prove that there was no link to their disadvantage or counterplan, and won on topicality for both. :idea:  

Which, brings me to the point of this insanely long post...can I still win a finals round if I maverick? Because my team (ME) ended up taking second, but most people thought I should have won. One of my judges shook my hand after awards and said "I'm sorry. You would have won, but..." in reference to my lack of a partner. Is this debate-legal, to make someone lose strictly because they mavericked?  puke:

Some see being maverick as being easier because you don't have to communicate with a partner. While I don't think you should have been voted against without something like a theory argument by your opponents or tournament rules, it would have been good to clarify that before the round.

You ask if this course of events is, "debate-legal," but this question is problematic.

Different circuits - heck, even different tournaments - may have different rules regarding what exactly constitutes a debate, "team," and the limitations of debating as a maverick. I personally feel that voting you down because you were mavericking was incorrect, but perhaps that was their designated procedure. What I surmise probably happened was that the tournament would have disallowed a maverick breaking into the outrounds in the first place (which is fairly common), and your sudden, unprecedented loss of a partner midway through was handled in the best ad hoc manner they could come up with at the time.

• Upvote 2

Just to clarify, yes, one judge voted affirmative, and two voted negative (I was affirmative). One of the judges that voted negative wrote on the ballot "I voted negative due to affirmative's lack of a partner" so to answer all of your questions, the round was decided in regards to the fact that I mavericked.   :schuss: