CentralHighAnalytico

Racial Profiling Affirmative

Parsley, huh? Yeah, he debates from a school in our city. I've debated him a couple of times. But as for the kritikal racism advantage, I'd like that idea, it'd be a really easy thing to do in this state, and it'd put good offense.

Will Parsley was in my lab in Kentucky last year, he's a policy debater from Arkansas, and he is horrible. I hope you could kill him, he sorta looks like Bulwinkle, and sorta acts like him too....Don't worry about him in a debate round, trust me.

Aww thats sad, I thought will was nice @ kentucky.. oh well

but as for the racism advantage some really good cards are out there for that

"Will Parsley was in my lab in Kentucky last year, he's a policy debater from Arkansas, and he is horrible. I hope you could kill him, he sorta looks like Bulwinkle, and sorta acts like him too....Don't worry about him in a debate round, trust me."

no i know who will is and i live in arkansas so ive debated him a few times. Its an inside joke in arkansas. one of the kid on our squad at central high on the novice team (blake) decided to post that on one of the forums. Will was a junior and blake was a freshman. At the time will was way out of his league and i like to make fun of him about it

here are some cards that will help a critical component of the case, at least from a African-American perspective.

RACISM IS A WHITE PROBLEM. SOLUTIONS TO RACISM MUST FOCUS ON WHITES, NOT BLACKS.

Barndt, Joseph, Dismantling Racism, 1991, Augsberg Fortress, p. 34- 37

If we define racism as prejudice versus power, the obvious question is, who’s got the power? And the answer is equally obvious. In the United States, only one racial group has the power to impose its will upon and exploit other racial groups. Only one racial group has the power to pretend that racism does not exist. Therefore, in the United States, racism is a white problem, and only a white problem.

This conclusion will be traumatic for many readers of this book, The first difficulty is in the assertion that racism is only a white problem, that it is exclusively a disorder of white people and not people of color. The second and most important difficulty is that if racism is a white problem it changes dramatically the way we look at it and attempt to solve it…

We have been trying to solve the wrong problem. For years, we have been trying to change the wrong people. With the best of intentions, we were aiming in the wrong direction. Almost all of our nation’s social and political initiatives for solving racial problems attempt to change the victims of racism and the conditions within their communities… Our assumption is that if we pour enough money into changing the victims of racism, they will catch up with us and will achieve a state of equality. But it isn’t happening. And why? Because we are trying to change the wrong people.

RACISM IMPRISONS AND DESTROYS WHITES AS WELL AS PEOPLE OF COLOR

Barndt, Joseph, Dismantling Racism, 1991, Augsberg Fortress, p. 40-41

(Barndt is a white man.)

We hold not only the power of racism in our hands, but that we are unable to let go. We are prisoners of our own racism. In this section we shall explore the ways in which the power of racism, which hurts and destroys people of color, also hurts and destroys us as white people.

EVEN GOOD WHITE PEOPLE ARE RACIST, BECAUSE THEIR PRIVILEGE IS THE RESULT OF INSTITUTIONAL RACISM

Barndt, Joseph, Dismantling Racism, 1991, Augsberg Fortress, p. 44

Strangely enough, being a racist does not necessarily mean being a terrible person. In all probability, you are not a conspicuous bigot who calls people “nigger” or is unhappy about the prospect of freedom and justice for people of color. Nor are you intentionally responsible for continued poverty, segregation, and powerlessness of people of color in America. If only were as simple a problem as intentional racism! But our definition of racism, prejudice plus power, means that all of us who are white are part of and inseperable from a society that continually and systematically subordinates people of color. Whether or not we are intentional bigots, we are all locked inside a system of structured racism. As American citizens, every white person supports, benefits from, and is unable to be separated from white racism.

THE FIRST STEP TO ENDING RACISM IS CONFESSING COMPLICITY WITH RACISM, THE SECOND STEP IS ANTI-RACIST ACTION

Barndt, Joseph, Dismantling Racism, 1991, Augsberg Fortress, p. 45

Repentance and confession are crucially important in combating racism. Conscious and overt racists should feel guilty. They need to repent and seek forgiveness. And each of us needs to continue to examine ourselves and discover, confess, and eliminate the prejudice and bigotry that are still a part of our attitudes, thoughts and actions. Moreover, our nation as a whole needs still to come to repentance for its racism…

Confessing our sin is only the first step, however. When we have been forgiven, our guild has to be dealt with. We have been empowered to go beyond guilt to the next step, which is to face our unwitting and unwilling imprisonment in racism, which continues even after we have repented, confessed and been forgiven.

EVERY BLOW AGAINST THE WALL OF RACISM LEADS TO ITS ULTIMATE DESTRUCTION

Barndt, Joseph, Dismantling Racism, 1991, Augsberg Fortress, p. 155-156

To study racism is to study walls. We have looked at barriers and fences, restraints and limitations, ghettos and prisons. The prison of racism confines us all, people of color and white people alike. It shackles the victimizer as well as the victim…

But we have also seen that the walls of racism can be dismantled. We are not condemned to an inexorable fate, but are offered the vision and possibility of freedom. Brick by brick, stone by stone, the prison of individual, institutional, and cultural racism can be destroyed. You and I are urgently called to join the efforts of those who know it is time to tear down, once and for all, the walls of racism.

IN ORDER TO DESTROY THE PRISON OF RACISM, WHITES MUST LEARN TO FOLLOW THE LEADERSHIP OF PEOPLE OF COLOR WHILE STANDING ALLONGSIDE IN CRITICAL SUPPORT.

Barndt, Joseph, Dismantling Racism, 1991, Augsberg Fortress, p. 163

As white people who participate in multiracial coalitions and organizations, we must learn two hard lessons. One is the ability to follow the leadership of people of color. This is very hard for us, for it is at the very core of our racism that we should lead and people of color follow. Secondly, if we no longer lead, it is hard to avoid the opposite temptation: to stand on the sidelines and limit our participation to mere cheering. We are not just supporters of people of color, but co-participants in this struggle for freedom of us all…

The creating of multiracial institutions and communities requires that all who live and work in them to help develop goals and strategies, education and training, implementation and evaluation. It requires a personal commitment to openness, honesty, willingness to take risks, and to participate fully. Moreover, it cannot be done either from the top down, authoritatively, from the bottom up. It calls for dual commitments from top to bottom and from bottom to top. The organizations leaders and every member of the organization and community must be fully recognized participants in the process.

Actually, racial profiling turns terrorism because profiling according to race empirically makes terrorists more likely to make it through the system--that's a common misconception.

There's plenty of ev that says that racial profiling means we don't catch terrorists because we are not focusing on suspicious behaviour but rather the color of one's skin.

joe,

question: you have any evidence on the psychological effect of racism on adolescents and their developments as social beings? i'm looking but not finding anything substantive and useful in the context of debate. i mean i can find studies concluding in two short sentences that "racism negative impacts the development and growth of adolescent children" but i want something which impacts that lack of development, such as the propensity to commit to a life of crime, depression leading to poor performance in school or on the job, domestic violence, etc.

Actually, racial profiling turns terrorism because profiling according to race empirically makes terrorists more likely to make it through the system--that's a common misconception.

There's plenty of ev that says that racial profiling means we don't catch terrorists because we are not focusing on suspicious behaviour but rather the color of one's skin.

all that evidence assumes that the likelihood of a terrorist being of a specific ethnicity is the same as another ethnicity. if the ethnicity being targeted for racial profiling is the largest population of potential terrorists, then the conclusion is ultimately flawed and at best nonsensical.

even as a minority, one who is south asian and thus often confused with middle eastern, and despite the ignorant remarks made by a buncha fools post 9-11, i still favor racial profiling so long as the action taken upon racial profiling does not violate my basic rights. racial profiling itself only means targeting specific ethnicites for additional observation. observation is fine. non-criminals have nothing to hide. if the fbi wants to screen all my emails to see if i am sending nuclear missile codes to iran, then fine. so be it. but the fbi cant just walk into my house and arrest me because i am brown. thats a violation.

there is a very big difference between what racial profiling is and what the media makes it out to be. i sincerely hope debaters recognize the difference between the two and exposes it for actual intellectual discussion in round.

joe,

question: you have any evidence on the psychological effect of racism on adolescents and their developments as social beings? i'm looking but not finding anything substantive and useful in the context of debate. i mean i can find studies concluding in two short sentences that "racism negative impacts the development and growth of adolescent children" but i want something which impacts that lack of development, such as the propensity to commit to a life of crime, depression leading to poor performance in school or on the job, domestic violence, etc.

This is an excellent line of inquiry, which I hadn't yet thought of pursuing. I cut several cards from this book I bought recently called, If They Come in the Morning, by Angela Davis and others, which say that all crime is based on racist social injustice.

I also cut some cards from Richard Wright's Native Son about this -- indeed the whole story of Native Son bears this theory out. Though I'm not sure how well fiction will go over...

There is also quite a bit of interesting work going on in the field of economics which I'm only beginning to explore. Apparently, data gathering and analysis has become so sophisticated that economists have actually started to quantify social problems that were before only understood anecdotally. I think this stuff is prime for debate, because you can argue that your evidence has more weight than, say, Zizek, because it's based on solid numbers, not the opinions of a scholar.

One of the frontrunners with regards to race issues in economics is a young Harvard professor named Roland Fryer. The NYT Magazine ran a profile of him a couple of weeks ago. All of his papers are available on Harvard's website, so if you go to harvard.edu and search you'll probably find them. I've printed out several but have yet to do more than skim them. One is about the phenomenon of negative connotations among black youth toward "acting white," another explores racism through competitive academic games, and yet another seeks to quantify the effects of segregation. None of these address racial profiling specifically, but they seem at first glance to intersect with a variety of issues. These papers also contain cites of other studies which could lead you to what you're looking for.

(In a side note about economics, I just learned yesterday that there's a new book out called Happiness by a British economist [i forget the name]. This one uses economic data to examine the impacts of various policies on happiness, and it has offers some surprising conclusions. The one that really comes to mind was an assertion that higher taxes and more government spending on social services actually make people more happy, which could be an interesting turn on politix debates. I'm eager to get the book.)

Barndt is a fucking hack.

"As American citizens, every white person supports, benefits from, and is unable to be separated from white racism"

"Conscious and overt racists should feel guilty. They need to repent and seek forgiveness"

Funny, I just opened the book I'm reading to a card that might be part of an overall argument about the effects of racism on crime. Granted, it's from 1896, so it would need some historical analysis. But the book is a cornerstone of literature on race in America.

Really, this is more like two cards, one which, in companion with other cards, would frame the discussion around the historic stigmatization of blacks as criminals, which rises directly from this natiion's crime of slavery. The other shows the historic genesis of racial profiling, that it comes directly from the early formatiion of the Jim Crow South.

DuBois, W.E.B., The Souls of Black Folk, 1896, p. 128-130

Moreover, the political status of the Negro in the South is closely connected with the question of Negro crime. There can be no doubt that crime among Negroes has sensibly increased in the last 30 years, and that there has appeared in the slums of great cities a distinct criminal class among the blacks. In explaining this unfortunate development, we must noote two things: (I) that the inevitable result of Emancipation was to increase crime and criminals, and (2) that the police system of the South was primarily designed to control slaves. As to the first point, we must noot forget that under a strict slave system there can scarcely be such a thing as crime. But when these variously constituted human particles are suddenly thrown broadcast on the sea of life, some swim, some sink, and some hang suspended, to be forced up or down by the chance currents of a busy hurrying world. So great an economic andsocial revolution as swept the South in '63 meant a weeding out among Negroes of the incompetents and vicious, the beginning of differentiation of social grades. Now a rising group of people are noot lifted bodily from the ground like an inert solid mass, but rather stretch upward like a living plant with its roots still clinging in the mould. The appearance, therefore, of the Negro criminal was a phenomenon to be awaited; and while it causes anxiety, it should not occasion surprise.

The South had no machinery, no adequate jails or reformatories; its police system was arranged to deal with blacks alone, and tacitly assumed every white man was ipso facto a member of that police. Thus grew up a double system of justice, which erred on the white side by undue leniency and the practical immunity oof red-handed criminals, and erred on the black side by undue severity, injustice, and lack of discrimination. For, as I have said, the police system of the SOuth was originally designed to keep track of Negroes, not simply of criminals; and when the Negroes were freed and the whole South was convinced of the impossibility of free Negro labor, the first and almost universal devise was to use the courts as a means of reenslaving blacks. It was not then a question of crime, but rather one of color, that settled a man's conviction on almost any charge. Thus Negroes came to look upon courts as instruments of injustice and oppression, and upon those convicted iin them as martyrs and victims.

When, now, the real Negro criminal appeared, and instead of petty stealing and vagrancy we began to have highway robbery, burglary, murder and rape, there was a curious effect on both sides of the color-line: the Negroes refused to believe the evidence of white whiteness or the fairness of white juries, so that the greatest deterrent to crime, the public opinion of one's own social caste, was lost, and the criminal was looked upon as crucified rather than hanged. On the other hand, the whites, used to being careless as to the guilt or innocence of accused Negroes, were swept in moments of passion beyond law, reason and decency. Such a situation is bound to increase crime, andhas increased it.

well i am doing this to cut a neg to racial profiling. personally, i think racial profiling is a terrible policy case for next year. i already have a bombdiggity strategy... and most of the evidence... just trying to fill in some holes... but thanks for the leads... if you come across anything good, i'd appreciae throwing a bone my way

peace

disad:reverse racism, i'm notsure what kind of impacts it could have but ti could definetly turn case a million times over; thought i'd point this out seeing as how i haven't seen anything about it yet and it could cripple this aff, you may wanna block it out. any questions ask

well i am doing this to cut a neg to racial profiling. personally, i think racial profiling is a terrible policy case for next year. i already have a bombdiggity strategy... and most of the evidence... just trying to fill in some holes... but thanks for the leads... if you come across anything good, i'd appreciae throwing a bone my way

peace

i concur, this is an overall horrible aff for next year but i have one question for ankur and it derives from general curiosity and is not meant in a negative fashion whatsoever: why do you keep creating files when you are not in debate any longer? have you considered putting any of your stuff on evazon, you could probably make tons of $$$

peace

My pleasure. What's your bombdiggity neg strategy? And why do you think racial profiling is a terrible strategy?

disad:reverse racism, i'm notsure what kind of impacts it could have but ti could definetly turn case a million times over; thought i'd point this out seeing as how i haven't seen anything about it yet and it could cripple this aff, you may wanna block it out. any questions ask

We'd smoke you on this debate. Absolute crush.

RACISM IS A WHITE PROBLEM. SOLUTIONS TO RACISM MUST FOCUS ON WHITES, NOT BLACKS.

Quote from Steven Levitt, renowned economist: "It's not the oddest result I've ever come up with, but there is one finding I have always puzzled over: when cities hire lots of Black cops, the arrest rates of Whites go up, but no more Blacks get arrested. When cities hire White cops, the opposite happens (more Black arrests, no more White arrests). It was an amazingly stark result, but I'm not quite sure what the right story is."

We'd smoke you on this debate. Absolute crush.

hey i'm just trying to help you guys, this is a huge attack on your case, if you don't block it out you'll get smoked

Aww thats sad, I thought will was nice @ kentucky.. oh well

but as for the racism advantage some really good cards are out there for that

Shut up Leah, this is Joey from GA. Of course you thought Will was nice at Kentucky... :Kn:

HAHAHAHAHAHA......ya the racism advantage is huge, man that Greathouse kid is something serious, he got kids all over the nation bowing before his idea. HAHAHAHA.....

only there is one risk, with the racism advantage, your case becomes a unique link to many racism K's out there, but you get a few "we have to speak for them, because they won't" type stuff and a risk of your advantage, and entire 1ac, will outweigh any impacts the neg brings. Also, the impacts to the Racism K will be the same impacts as the Aff harms, so at least you take a stand against the racism, and thus violence in the system. Your step is a ladder, in which actual social change occurs, and may eventually lead to the abolishment and unltimate abondonment of racism. It's better than acknowledging racism exists and not trying to do anything about it. If you don't understand this sorry.

On a different note, Joe-Miller half of those cards reinforce racism. They objectify people by either being "white" or "colored". Some of them label and marginalize seperate parts of society-thats what racism does.......

Be careful, with this advantage you must watch every word you say, one slip up, and the neg will clean you up, much like every Kritikal Aff. Just be careful here people.

joe,

the case gets smoked 100% on solvency... well, depends on the plan text... but if the case has anything to do with the act of racial profiling, like eliminating profiling, or modifying it etc... then it'll get smoked on off case solvency. how i love the world of PMN/PMAs. its not even like aff can claim a "shred of solvency." its a straight up ZERO solvency argument.

couple that with a specific critique on racism and a counterplan which simultaneously solves for aff case harms (minus civil liberties harms), the critique, plus avoid a couple of case specific disads stemming from pretextual stops.. and you have a potent block.

Timm,

traditionally I distribute my blocks for free to students in PA. however this year, I think i may try something new and become a capitalist pig and do case blocks adn sell them. and if debaters send me cases, i'll block em. for a long time i have considered making the anti-thurdsay file, but thats not a money maker because then all kerp needs to do is do the neg blocks himself which he does by doing opposing scenario thursday files (anwr good/ anwr bad) anyways. so since i spend half of everyday watching the markets, i am tempted also to write a weekly econ disad. i dunno. depends on how much time i have i guess...

joe,

the case gets smoked 100% on solvency... well, depends on the plan text... but if the case has anything to do with the act of racial profiling, like eliminating profiling, or modifying it etc... then it'll get smoked on off case solvency. how i love the world of PMN/PMAs. its not even like aff can claim a "shred of solvency." its a straight up ZERO solvency argument.

couple that with a specific critique on racism and a counterplan which simultaneously solves for aff case harms (minus civil liberties harms), the critique, plus avoid a couple of case specific disads stemming from pretextual stops.. and you have a potent block.

This is where I disagree, the CP must be severance if the Kritikal advantage is in play. You can't have China pass the pre-fiat plan.....that doesn't make sense, that's buying into this "fiat" game that props up racism (I.e-Elitism) in Debate. Don't perpetuate this cycle of violence debate upholds. Debate is dominated by white males, that's it, China talking about it, doesn't change debate........Cp has no solvency.

you can always find solvency. "there is a cure for Racism" articles are everywhere, just need to be looked for, and since I'm graduating this year, screw that. :P

A chance to abolish racism is always going to outweigh any other impact you can read. Racism is the reason for every atrocity ever......Holocaust, Rwanda, 9/11, Iraq, The Congo's, Turkey-Greece, etc. Plus the systemmic impact is inherent everywhere......huge weighing advantage aff if it is done right...

O ya and dude make that money,....indulge in Capatalism, it's great.....My hats off to ya. Make those blocks and sell em......Good idea.

That's very true. I haven't cut as much as I wanted to on it, though.

As for the solvency, I'm not sure I understand how you solve for profiling/racism harms without addressing profiling in the CP, and of course in the argued case that profiling was addressed in the CP, I wouldn't see how anything would get done if it had 0% solvency. But even so, I have more than enough evidence saying that Federal legislation solves, I didn't really get any reasoning why addressing the problem of profiling wouldn't be sufficient to solve for it.

The aff I'm writing is the policy version, I'm not really big on kritikal affs. Other debaters from my school are writing the kritikal version, though right now its at 0% completion.

Here's the big problem with all of the neg args I hear. The reverse racism idea won't work, maybe in general, but not in my particular case, and for the simple reason that I'm not addressing profiling as a matter of labeling or responsibility of a particular race, nor am I further dividing by addressing it. The matter isn't about profiling BLACK people or profiling ARAB people or profiling SOUTH ASIAN people, its about profiling people. Racism isn't a white problem, its a human problem. It doesn't matter who its against, profiling is wrong on a social and politcal spectrum. I'm not saying its wrong to discriminate exclusively against blacks, its wrong to discriminate exclusively against anyone , and because thats the way I address it, I could rip those reverse-racism/labeling ads apart.

But most importantly, I'm black. I pity the fool who runs a racism kritik on me, as there is not a single other negro debater that runs kritiks in this state, and I'll smoke any majority on a kritikal racism arg. made against me.

But most importantly, I'm black. I pity the fool who runs a racism kritik on me, as there is not a single other negro debater that runs kritiks in this state, and I'll smoke any majority on a kritikal racism arg. made against me.

Yes!!! Dude, you've got to work in some stuff about your school's history, if only in framing the story of the 1AC. It would just be soooo beautiful.

Ankur, I think you should dig a little deeper into that Amnesty International report. There are some really good policy suggestions in there that bring in entire schools of thought that, based on our experience this year, offer solvency scenarios that are super hard to beat. Think multicuulturalism.

I have to disagree with you. I think racial profiling is one of the best case options this year.

It actually is a very strong case for next year. I just finnished my Case with the following advantages:Pre Fiat: Bio Politics, Racism, Human Rights, Nat security/terrorism.

The Prefiat Bio Politicis is the advantage I need a bit of help finding extensions with. I would definetly be willing to trade for any cards out there on it.

But whats great is you can turn out of terrorism DA's with the Terror advantage and theres so many major impacts thatyou can outweigh other Disads.

I think that by mixing the obvious in-round imps. and the personal/real world issues that are obvious, I can make it work really well, as some of our teams are 'multi-ethnic', and that could work well against 'speaking for the minority'/reverse racism args, we'd use the discourse of the round itself to claim that we were offering a means of solvency just from that.