Nonegfiat

Biopower K aff

I want to write a biopower K aff for this topic. I know it would have been much better last year, but how feasible is it to relate it to this year's topic?

Like maybe we criticize biopower exercised by both the US and China? B/c with china's human rights issues i can see some connections. And of course the US has plenty of instances of biopower. It basically would be the reason we reject using the state and our framework is that we provide the best education. Does that all sound reasonable? (I've never written a K before)

Can anyone point me to any good authors to read (besides foucault and agamben, both of whom i have read) or be willing to share cards?

A possible structure is as follows:

A. The U.S. and China violate human rights and excercize biopolitics through areas such as prisons/detention, healthcare, and surveillance.

B. These issues are bad and violent and diminish the credibility and legitimacy of the governments.

C. Diplomatic connections and economic interdependence allow countries to restore credibility effectively masking these abuses.

D.

Either something like "Plan: the United States federal government should agree to end [the specific abuses your cards talk about] if and only if the People's Republic of China agrees to end [the specific abuses in China your evidence talks about]."

OR

Something like "We demand a critical analysis of biopolitics in international relations as a pre-condition to the United States federal government substantially increasing it's economic and/or diplomatic engagement with the People's Republic of China."

• Upvote 1

Thanks everyone, those are great ideas and I now have a much clearer direction for the argument. This is going to be my project over the thanksgiving break and I'm really looking forward to it.

How should I go about research for this? Are there authors that write about biopolitics in the context of specific, modern abuses or should I just talk about the abuses, talk about biopower bad, and just make the connection analytically?

Edit: I've found a lot of stuff about China's one child policy. I imagine the two child policy is effectively the same when it comes to the question of biopolitics. I'm going to try to find stuff about the Uyghurs and about political detentions as well. That might be an area where I would have to draw analytical connections to Foucault

Edited by Nonegfiat

I doubt you'll find a single author who talks about every issue in your Aff. Though it shouldn't be hard to find each part independently. I wouldn't actually recommend cutting straight from the classic authors like Foucault because, while they are the experts, their writing won't be in the context of the Aff. I would try to find secondary authors who synthesize that kind of theory with modern day instances. And then maybe use Agamben/Foucault as impact cards or even maybe alternative cards depending on how much of a policy-Aff you want to make it.

• Upvote 1