longhornsdp

Digital Debate Camp

400 dollars and I think it was definitely worth the price. It kinda revolves around your schedule so you are more directly responsible for how well u do in the camp (you are yourself responsible for debating, they won't force u to, so it all depends on your diligence).

• Upvote 1

400 dollars and I think it was definitely worth the price. It kinda revolves around your schedule so you are more directly responsible for how well u do in the camp (you are yourself responsible for debating, they won't force u to, so it all depends on your diligence).

So would you recommend doing an actual debate camp and one of these digital debate camps, also is it topic intensive?

So would you recommend doing an actual debate camp and one of these digital debate camps, also is it topic intensive?

About 1/3rd of the students at the DDC each summer also attend a traditional debate camp.  While the DDC is great at the learning aspect of a camp, there is much to be had from physically occupying a space and interacting with live human beings in a normal camp setting.  

As for topic intensive, I'd give the DDC a 5/10.  The DDC will write a few affs and neg positions for the topic, but it also covers a huge range of debate issues which often transcend the topic itself. This is not only critical stuff, but tons of policy-relevant arguments that are not unique to any given topic (impact turns, politics, theory, process counterplans, and so on).

• Upvote 1

About 1/3rd of the students at the DDC each summer also attend a traditional debate camp.  While the DDC is great at the learning aspect of a camp, there is much to be had from physically occupying a space and interacting with live human beings in a normal camp setting.  

As for topic intensive, I'd give the DDC a 5/10.  The DDC will write a few affs and neg positions for the topic, but it also covers a huge range of debate issues which often transcend the topic itself. This is not only critical stuff, but tons of policy-relevant arguments that are not unique to any given topic (impact turns, politics, theory, process counterplans, and so on).

will the DDC be happening this year? I heard in the past few years there were issues with staffing...

So is it worth the money then? 

will the DDC be happening this year? I heard in the past few years there were issues with staffing...

The Digital Debate Camp will be returning this summer and plans to continue indefinitely. We believe online debate camps are the future of this activity so we have no plans of stopping.  I'm not sure what you mean by staffing issues - maybe 7 years ago when I first took over, but last summer we officially merged with the Georgia Debate Union and our staff is now exceptional. We are also one of the most qualified staffs in the country: we have 4 MAs, 6 BAs, and a JD between the top 4 staff members, and everyone we has demonstrated continued coaching success at the high school or college level. At lot of camps boast big name lab leaders but when you get there you primarily work with some bubble debater who can win rounds but has never coached in their life - with us, you work directly with people who have years of experience as educators. 

So is it worth the money then? 

I think the DDC is definitely work the cost of tuition. A lot of incredibly successful debaters have come through this program, and it will serve you well no matter your engagement/involvement levels. 

• Upvote 1