JesseG

Started an aff thinking it would be trash but i like the idea now. How can i improve?

1. Your cards should be condensed, underlined, and highlighted for efficiency. I'm not sure if that's intentional or a formatting thing.

2. I recommend the following plan: "The United States federal governmemt should substantially increase its diplomatic engagement with the People's Republic of China by offering to reduce its military presence in South Korea in exchange for diplomatic pressure on North Korea to denuclearize."

3. Add the last paragraph of the article and the two or three before the area you cut for solvency / say yes. It doesn't say China would do it for free. It says China sees NK as a bargaining chip to get what it wants with the U.S. and is afraid of South Korea.

4. Your current plan is about free trade, but your advantages are about sanctions. I would look to the current NoKo Affs on Open Evidence as a model for a QPQ Aff.

• Upvote 3

ur current plan text sounds FX T since ur solvency is predicated off of US-NK trade not US-Ch engagement directly

u might also get hit with vagueness theory since it's not clear how exactly you "use China's influence over NoKo"

i think it's a good aff but tweak the plan text so it's more qpq like TheSnowball suggested, also prep tf out for T  

• Upvote 1

thanks man also i think you meant the plan is Xtra T not FX T. Also I have no idea how i could make the plan QPQ. Any ideas?

Also I have no idea how i could make the plan QPQ. Any ideas?

2. I recommend the following plan: "The United States federal governmemt should substantially increase its diplomatic engagement with the People's Republic of China by offering to reduce its military presence in South Korea in exchange for diplomatic pressure on North Korea to denuclearize."

• Upvote 1

I want to make this case work but idk how to fix it. What cards do i need? btw the title isnt what the actual case is. idk why the title says that. Also the formatting is weird...

I like the idea, this would make a great DA or CP but I feel like on local circuit you'll get killed on T, extra T or No T could really be a downside because China AND the United States are working in a medium in which any country could put a hand in, would you like me to write a neg and see if you can answer to it?

• Upvote 3

A suggestion from me would be instead of working through a variable medium, how about the US-Sino relationship is the medium and when you do this the impact can be UN approval and 1st step towards larger prospects as opposed to saying in the plan text all of these necessary steps say china and us work together to create direct engagement, your plan text is just hard for me to follow, PM me if you want that neg...

• Upvote 3

Could I make the plan QPQ by saying that China wants the US to stop sanctioning NK therefore the plan is "this for that" or would that just dig the hole deeper? This is my second year in debate but my first year actually trying in it so I'm trying to learn as much as i can.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

That's actually a compelling argument but then you get into politics talking about Xi politics bad and us giving China what it wants is appeasement, that would say China gets what they want and we make China happy, find evidence that shows the US gets a greater benefit.

I may be able to find an article talking about how the US has more to gain from a denuclearized North Korea than China does.