Keagan

TFA STATE

I know that a good portion of people here debate in Texas, so my question is how is TFA STATE?

This is going to by the first time that my partner and I attend the tournament and we have some questions.

1) How difficult really is the tournament?

2)Are there any scholarships associated with making it to the tournament as well as doing well in the tournament?

3)How are the judges?

4)How many teams are there(for CX)?

5)Is it more policy or critically aligned? 

*anything else that it is important to know about the tournament?

thanks,

• Upvote 1

pref your judges right and all of these problems will disappear. I have seen teams go 1-5 and 2-4 at TFA state that have broke at nationals. It depends on how strong of a debater you are and how well you can read a judge. You will hit people that are TOC qualified, but you will also hit people from easy areas. The later tend to be seen less as you progress if you do well, or more if you do bad. There are usually anywhere from 70-100+ teams. TFA is the opposite of UIL, and the location determines the kinds of judges. Usually they are good because all the college debaters come to judge. This year the tournament is in Dallas which means you will be liable to see judges from Baylor, UTD, UT, and possibly else where. Do what you are comfortable with. If you regularly break at good tournaments you will be fine. Be aware that just because you own your circuit doesn't mean you will do well. NOT ALL CIRCUITS ARE EQUALLY GOOD. 

TL;DR TFA is hard, do you, don't bitch about being "fucked over" every round.

• Upvote 1

Answering questions 2 and 5: 

2)- I dont think there are any scholarships associated with making it to the tournament/doing well in the tournament

5) To do well at TFA state, you have to be prepared to have debates both policy and critically oriented- some rounds will be policy oriented, while others will be K oriented- it honestly depends on what your style is, what teams you hit, and what judges you're in front of

Default to Texas debaters for competing answers, but from my knowledge:

1,3,5) TFA is a cross between UT and St. Marks, with a difficulty that you'd expect to see there. With this years topic, you'll probably see several excellent policy debaters and several critical debaters, with less in between, because most judges (in Dallas especially) will be college kids/ up-to-date coaches familiar with a range of arguments.

Note: PREF YOUR JUDGES! This is incredibly important at large-scale tournaments like TFA, and will largely influence which judges of the policy-critical range you'll get. If you don't know how, find someone who does.

1) Be prepared to hit TOC-qualifying teams, but don't worry: Biggest advice I can give you when hitting really good teams is don't despair. The worst rounds in my career so far have been when I realized we could have probably won against teams like Ritik (S?) and Anthony, Highland Park (whom we almost beat and they're quall-ed for the TOC twice over now), etc. if we thought we stood a chance.

• Upvote 1

1) Be prepared to hit TOC-qualifying teams, but don't worry: Biggest advice I can give you when hitting really good teams is don't despair. The worst rounds in my career so far have been when I realized we could have probably won against teams like Ritik (S?) and Anthony, Highland Park (whom we almost beat and they're quall-ed for the TOC twice over now), etc. if we thought we stood a chance.

Didn't Anthony and Ritik beat the fk out of you by piking out of the capitalized Federal Government?

• Upvote 1

TFA state is pretty hard, tbh you need to be good at k debating but if your an excellent policy debator you will be fine. The judges are going to pretty good especially since it is in dallas. Dallas has pretty good judges. I think last years winners were law magnet or something.

• Upvote 1

Didn't Anthony and Ritik beat the fk out of you by piking out of the capitalized Federal Government?

Nah, we lost on an academia/ colonialism shpeel but yeah they ran that too; Still can't believe we got paired with them (2-2) and that we basically entered the round assuming we would lose

https://hspolicy.debatecoaches.org/Westwood/Goyal-Nguyen+Neg

lol roundreports/hspolicy says otherwise

Jeez, they either haven't updated their wikis or haven't been to tournaments... I swear I saw them at Greenhill :/

Yeah, I don't know what to tell you; University/ academia/ colonialism thing was in the 2NR :P