ahen

Sports Diplomacy Affirmative

Has anyone seen or heard of the sports diplomacy affirmative? If so do you have any ideas as to what could be ran against it?

• Upvote 1

I'm guessing that it would be similar to ping pong diplomacy.

I would start by googling around that idea and find generic issues with that style of diplomacy.

Haven't seen it yet, or heard of it at a tournament.

I tried to cut one earlier in the year. The main issue with it is the massive inherency problems. We already do engage with China via sports Diplomacy. We have the Olympics, every year we send a basketball team to China to play ball. The truth is that this aff has a lot of lit for it but it has massive structural issues. You can literally destroy this Aff in CX is you just talk about inherency for three minutes asking about why [insert sporting event] doesn't solve the aff. As for off I would run  T USFG (why the fuck is a sporting team part of the USFG???), T substantial (they're probably going to spike out of the link to just about every DA), any topic K that's not security (huge link turns will happen), Ableism k, Containment and PTX. I would avoid reading relations DAs because the link is just too silly. That's my two cents. Good Luck!!

Edited by ConsultAndromedaCouncil
  • Upvote 1

theres an T interp that says co-op =/= engagement that's "okay", violation the aff is something china and the US already co-sign on, and a collaboration towards a common goal is not an engagement

T usfg

ableism or imperialism or fem (sports are exclusionary) 

dip cap (for lay judges)

for case i'd go for soft power doesn't solve, and since this aff just sounds really silly it probably has something like a relations advantage, alt cause is an easy way out

• Upvote 1

I was just looking through my files and realized that this links to pancap k or semiocap. The link argument is that sports are a means of nationalism that turns bodies into "entertainment values" that people consume. It also goes on to say that sports and other national activities are acting as a smoke screen for hegemonic moralizing narratives of development that cast modernity onto the other. I think its a really good argument, but you should be well versed in general critical args to pull it off. Other than that, I think the best thing would be to run a T shell for engagement. For case args, just google what you need and im sure you'll find it...google is bae.....

• Upvote 1