I made a bet with someone on my squad that there was not a chance in hell that they could legitimately win a round where they could only go for a states cp/federalism da combo. Will I lose my money? why?

It depends on the Affirmative. I don't think the states have any foreign policy authority, but they could, for example, change something in the U.S. to uphold our end of a QPQ. It doesn't seem likely but it's possible.

you'll probably lose your money tbh. bc this year is such an international topic really on national policies are going to affect international actions taken by China (for the CP). and considering that the national election is happening, state issues are probably not that big of a deal (for the DA)

You could read states for advantage CPs. So if the Aff solves warming and econ you could read a CP that has the states boost jobs or whatever as well as do a pollution and carbon tax and then read federalism. But it seems like a stretch.