nj933

Any tips on spreading faster?

Hey guys, I'm wondering if you guys had any tips on spreading faster. I understand that there are a couple of methods of practicing spreading like putting a pen in your mouth, putting "a" or "watermelon" in between each word, and reading backwards. Personally, I've only been able to spread 1794 words in 8 mins without using double breathing. Is it best to learn how to double breathe? I'm asking because I've watched a couple of TOC rounds and it seems like everyone who makes it there double breathes. 

just do drills everyday and just because it works for some people in the toc doesnt mean it will work for you, still try it out. but whenever i double breathe it throws off my consistency and clarity.

• Upvote 2

Some other drills include the pen drill but with a large marker and over-emphasizing each word.

Make yourself a daily practice schedule with various drills.

Another one that helped me is called rapid-serial visual presentation. It flashes words at you 1 at a time at a set speed to help you read faster, but I use it to speak faster. There's a site called Accelareader you can use for it.

• Upvote 1

Its important to do the pen drill constantly throughout the entire year as clarity falls off before a tournament if you haven't done it for a while. The pen drill literally consist of you putting a pen in your mouth and start (at least attempt) to spread. If you are taking like AP Bio or a class that you want to learn more about I'd go on those wikipedia pages and start reading them out loud with the pen tucked in. If you are feeling like a badass read it backwards with a vowel between the words while having a pen in your mouth. Spreading will improve over time so start everyday in the morning and/or when you go to bed, there is no secret sauce just keep doing it. 

• Upvote 1

The pen in your mouth drill is not actually helpful, it just teaches you how to talk with a pen in you mouth. The point of that drill is to over-enunciate though, which is fine as a drill on its own. Pronounce every syllable of each word really clearly and don't worry about speed initially. Clarity is as if not more important than speed. As you go you can speed up the over enunciation drill (but prioritize clarity).  I'd suggest mixing the drills up if you're comfortable with it: over-enunciate backwards, say something like "dialectical panda" or something between every word and try spreading that. Another strategy is just to practice spreading for something like 16 minutes at a time. It builds endurance and forces you to not burn yourself out too soon. 

• Upvote 1

I'm asking because I've watched a couple of TOC rounds and it seems like everyone who makes it there double breathes. 

People make it to the TOC because of the amount of time they pour into researching the topic themselves and learning from every round. I never really understood why people would rather spend that time teaching themselves to talk at unnaturally high speeds because there doesn't seem to be much correlation between how fast you spread and how well you do.

• Upvote 3

Pls, don't assume our gender, your use of the phrase "you guys" causes violence. But to answer your question try putting a large object like an eggplant in your mouth as you spread.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

Pls, don't assume our gender, your use of the phrase "you guys" causes violence. But to answer your question try putting a large object like an eggplant in your mouth as you spread.

I'm unsure whether to upvote this because gender-neutral language is good or downvote it because speaking through an eggplant is not good.

• Upvote 4

What I do:

Straight through, as fast as I can (3 minutes)

Straight through, with the word "salamander" every other word (3 minutes)

Backwards (3 minutes)

Backwards + "a" every other word (3 minutes)

Forwards (3 minutes)

Focus less on speed and more on clarity and word economy.  I can promise you that a slurred speech at 400 WPM is infinitely worse than a clear speech at half that speed.  Fix your clarity, stumbles, and word economy - three things far simpler and more practical - and you will be able to win rounds handily at a conversational speed.

Edited by Ankur
  • Upvote 1