I know this has been brought up a lot of times but I don't think I understand an alternative/method for solvency for hauntology. What's the significance/impact of the present being "haunted" by the specters of the past? Is there a method? Is it linked to Derida's deconstruction? What about in terms of specters of X instead of just capitalism? Books/articles/websites that break things down really well? I'm really sorry for the number of times this has been brought up, but I don't really understand hauntology and I didn't want to necrobump an old post. Thanks in advance

Edited by grimreaper401
  • Upvote 7

I know this has been brought up a lot of times but I don't think I understand an alternative/method for solvency for hauntology. What's the significance/impact of the present being "haunted" by the specters of the past? Is there a method? Is it linked to Derida's deconstruction? What about in terms of specters of X instead of just capitalism? Books/articles/websites that break things down really well? I'm really sorry for the number of times this has been brought up, but I don't really understand hauntology and I didn't want to necrobump an old post. Thanks in advance

My basic understanding is that hauntology is as a method of blurring the lines between what time and being is - in other words, conceptualizing the past and the present to be one the same because the "spectres" of a seemingly past event "haunt" and inform how the present occurs. I think the purpose of hauntology is to serve as a sort of investigation and deconstruction of how an ideology has accumulated over time in order to ultimately change how we project and actualize futures.

You'll probably get a more comprehensive response from some others. Please feel free to correct me, I am definitely no expert on hauntology nor am I that familiar with Derrida. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

My basic understanding is that hauntology is as a method of blurring the lines between what time and being is - in other words, conceptualizing the past and the present to be one the same because the "spectres" of a seemingly past event "haunt" and inform how the present occurs. I think the purpose of hauntology is to serve as a sort of investigation and deconstruction of how an ideology has accumulated over time in order to ultimately change how we project and actualize futures.

You'll probably get a more comprehensive response from some others. Please feel free to correct me, I am definitely no expert on hauntology nor am I that familiar with Derrida.

Ohhhhhhh, so it is like the alt of the Spanos K.... Like the specter of Vietnam? Alright, I understand a lot better now thank you.

Edit: No wtf, my bad phone hit down instead of upvote, I'm gonna go upvote two other of your posts, my bad.

Edit to my edit: Also, nice name. Great arg. Would read again 11/10. But seriously cool name, it is one of my favorite Consult CPs, went for it in the 2nr like nine or ten times now :P.

Edited by MassGenocideSolves