G4ng1nth1s

k of the topic affs

How does a K of the topic aff work? Obviously the basics are "this res. is racist/sexist/colonialism/SomethingElse therefore we refuse to defend it and f/w and T just re-enforce the resolution and that's bad" but what are the specifics of running one? Like what do you need to prep out for, what can you expect the aff/neg to do, etcetera, from both sides I.E. how would you run one and how would you answer one... Im assuming just an even more leftist K?

Thanks in advance

Edited by G4ng1nth1s
  • Upvote 2

Bump.

I'd like this back on top of the Current Discussions board, because I'd like to see this answered also, I'm not well versed on this either. Nice question, deserves an up-vote. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

There are threads on this already- I don't see how this is unique from those.

There are threads on this already- I don't see how this is unique from those.

link one please I guess? like not a K aff... but specifically a K of the topic aff

Edited by G4ng1nth1s

K, Framework, and T blocks are the main blocks you'll need. And maybe a block answering some kind of policy vers of your aff (since its rejecting the res tho it will be hard/unlikely for someone to do that). I'd answer with framework and a K that has a good root cause arg but probably go for the K because k affs turn the shit out of T/FW standards :sob: They'll probably perform and use that to their advantage, usually rejecting the res will stem from some other k like orientalism, anthro, antiblackness, cap etc. 

Edited by deb8
  • Upvote 3

link one please I guess? like not a K aff... but specifically a K of the topic aff

They're the same. If its advocacy is within topical bounds then it shouldn't be called a k Aff.

Edited by Raj

They're the same. If its advocacy is within topical bounds then it shouldn't be called a k Aff.

Ok my definition of a k aff is not passing a plan through the USFG. Bataille claims to be topical. There were some affs last year that curtailed surveillance in round by wearing masks or covering cameras and were able to win on T. As far as I know those count to most people as k affs...

Edited by G4ng1nth1s
  • Upvote 1

Ok my definition of a k aff is not passing a plan through the USFG. Bataille claims to be topical. There were some affs last year that curtailed surveillance in round by wearing masks or covering cameras and were able to win on T. As far as I know those count to most people as k affs...

Just because it won on T doesn't mean it's topical. Sure, it can be a debate of interpretations, but there is one USFG and if it's not the actor, then the Aff should not be claiming its topical.

Notice how I said "should"

Edited by Raj

How does a K of the topic aff work? Obviously the basics are "this res. is racist/sexist/colonialism/SomethingElse therefore we refuse to defend it and f/w and T just re-enforce the resolution and that's bad" but what are the specifics of running one? Like what do you need to prep out for, what can you expect the aff/neg to do, etcetera, from both sides I.E. how would you run one and how would you answer one... Im assuming just an even more leftist K?

Thanks in advance

First, you need to figure out what you're criticizing, and then what you can do about it. I feel as if the things you need to prep for, depend on what kind of criticism you are reading. For instance, if you are a criticism of neoliberalism, you likely won't have to prep neolib that much, but be ready for impact turns. On the other hand, if it's something like an identity aff, you definitely need to prep cap/neolib, for reasons I'll explain below, but likely won't hit impact turns.

Some generics you should prep for, regardless of your aff (unless you are criticizing one of these things): Cap/neolib, anthro, FW/T, impact turns, and potentially identity args. All of these Ks act as a different solvency mechanism, also explained below.

To answer a K aff, there are a few things you can do. The A-strat I have seen/heard of a lot of teams doing, is FW and a counter advocacy. For instance, say you're hitting an afropessimism aff. A very viable strategy is FW, cap, and case args. This gives you either the options for a K 2NR, or a policy 2NR. The K should be used to not only act as offense, but also to solve the aff; there is a lot of Marxist literature that says that we are discriminated more by economic differences than by other social hierarchies, meaning you can solve the root of the aff, or at least solve the aff impacts better than the aff. It doesn't necessarily have to be more "lefty", but it should be able to solve part of the aff. 

However, there are things you shouldn't do. For instance, hitting an afropessimism aff and reading anthro - The affirmative will likely just extrapolate another link out of this, because 1) Animals don't undergo the same kinds of oppression black bodies go through, and 2) Focusing on animals distracts from the oppression that black bodies go through.

I think I covered everything, let me know if there's something I missed/need to explain more.

• Upvote 3