PailAmbrose

vDebate China - PailAmbrose (A) vs lawsonhudson (N)

cx

1. How does current space programs not resolve?

will you clarify what "civilian based cooperation"

Space advantage

1. Your current space programs fail evidence is from 2007, have we not done any cooperation in space since then?

2. Is there not other things like SCS that the plan can't solve for that can cause nuclear war?

Warming

1. Why is space key?

Framing

1. How will criticing things cause the right wing to take over

2. What does winning this debate do for the actual world

3. Are you the USfg

4. If not, how do you solve the impacts

cx

1. How does current space programs not resolve?

Most programs now are limited to dialogue rather than productive cooperation. Plus, Kohler indicates that the ban on cooperation hampers current dialogue

will you clarify what "civilian based cooperation"

As per Kohler, we'll defend space travel, exploration, and study. Weeden outlines space weather, scientific research, exploration, capacity building for disaster response, and global environmental monitoring as potential areas of coop

Space advantage

1. Your current space programs fail evidence is from 2007, have we not done any cooperation in space since then?

I mean we've talked, but NASA was also banned from cooperating. So in a way it's gotten worse

2. Is there not other things like SCS that the plan can't solve for that can cause nuclear war?

I mean I guess. We should try to stop nuclear war in every area, every potential threat matters

Warming

1. Why is space key?

EUMETSAT indicates that satellites provide essential data on how climate change is effecting the globe. Without that data, other solutions will be ineffective

Framing

1. How will criticing things cause the right wing to take over

Not necessarily criticizing things, but cricitizing them without establishing political goals. If the left abandons politics, the right will not

2. What does winning this debate do for the actual world

I would be real happy. Also we could endorse a good policy

3. Are you the USfg

I'm not a politician. But aren't we all the USfg in our hearts

4. If not, how do you solve the impacts

Fiat. I mean political simulation is valuable and solves a host of impacts, but fiat solves the case

3. Are you the USfg

I'm not a politician. But aren't we all the USfg in our hearts

Legendary response to the most annoying question ever

Follow ups-

So why should the judge vote for you to supposedly be happy?

Does your happiness outweigh those of others? 

Is it really true happiness you are feeling?

Is the happiness that you claim you will feel truly good for you?

Why would we want to be one of the worst entities in our hearts?

How do you solve your impacts and not be the federal government?

What is FIAT?

Is fiat even real?

Follow ups-

So why should the judge vote for you to supposedly be happy?

Happiness is good and pain is bad. that is pretty secondary, though, to the benefits of endorsing a beneficial policy

Does your happiness outweigh those of others?

Depends on how many others and how happy they are.

Is it really true happiness you are feeling?

For sure.

Is the happiness that you claim you will feel truly good for you?

Probably.

Why would we want to be one of the worst entities in our hearts?

I assume you're referring to the USFG. 1. We don't literally become the USFG 2. Because it's better to try to change the government instead of doing nothing.

How do you solve your impacts and not be the federal government?

I do not have to personally stop the USFG from excluding China to win. if the plan would hypothetically solve the harms, that is enough to vote aff

What is FIAT?

A normative tool where we pretend the advocacy is passed when you vote aff or neg

Is fiat even real?

You already know the answer. Fun fact though: I'm going to the same college Richard Delgado used to teach at.

CX (the formatting will be weird since I'm on my phone, sorry)

The First K

Status?

What's the thesis of the K?

What's the link?

How does the alt function?

Can the plan happen in the world of the alt?

Cap K

Status?

What's the link?

Space Race

What warrants do Dickens and Ormond give?

What makes the plan utopian?

Why is the plan more utopian than the alts?

Warming

How does the plan trade off with adaption?

How can we adapt without accurate data about the changing climate?

CX (the formatting will be weird since I'm on my phone, sorry)

The First K

Status?

dispo

What's the thesis of the K?

We argue that the way that you construct fear mongering is bad, i.e. you say miscalculation will happen in space but we argue that those threats are manufactured by people with higher levers of power in order to get more budgets, further cap, justifies things like iraq, etc. 

What's the link?

There are multiple links but the link in the 1nc is that you talk about how we need to use space as a peaceful thing, but you construct these miscalculation fears which we say is bad

How does the alt function?

the alt is to reject the threat discourse that the aff imposes

Can the plan happen in the world of the alt?

well considering the fact that we say the case is a lie and a bunch of bs used to justify terrible things, i would say no 

Cap K

Status?

condo

What's the link?

2 links- the way you use space for exploration is another outlet for us to go and exploit it for capitalist gain 2. your threat construction of the 1ac justifies military spending and other things that fuel cap 

Space Race

What warrants do Dickens and Ormond give?

the bottom of the card specifically talks about how non western coutntries are being invaded in the name of creating "peace" when in reality they are doing it for their own personal gain

What makes the plan utopian?

you believe you can make a perfect society that avoids the impacts that the 1ac offers... in reality this is totally false because we are just teenagers with no levers of power and other things can cause the impacts. Also, it hides the underlying violence that is taking place

Why is the plan more utopian than the alts?

Because the alt's respond to a question of ethics and how we should reject things, the aff is like "vote aff and we will all be perfect and live  happy because the aff is such a great idea"

Warming

How does the plan trade off with adaption?

adaption is crowded out by mitigation efferts

How can we adapt without accurate data about the changing climate?

not really sure how that is what we are saying but maybe if you clarify I can answer this better

Okay a few followups:

K1

Under what circumstances are you stuck with the K?

What is "threat discourse?" Like in the world of the alt would we just say nothing is threatening?

Cap

How does the alt function? Like we just refuse to participate in society?

Space Race

So saying "plan prevents space escalation" is more utopian than an alt which claims to end capitalism? Like if fiat is so "utopian" then why do you get to fiat an alt?

And if you don't fiat an alt, how do you get solvency? Like are you saying that the act of voting neg solves?

Okay a few followups:

K1

Under what circumstances are you stuck with the K?

You just read offense and no defense

What is "threat discourse?" Like in the world of the alt would we just say nothing is threatening?

The idea that everything is a threat when in reality its not, not necessarily...

Cap

How does the alt function? Like we just refuse to participate in society?

no we dont refuse to participate in society... herod talks about how we need to create a communist like society where we work to supply everyones needs and not use it for profit, also we dont need to win the alt to win, just that we have an ethical obligation to reject capitalism 

Space Race

So saying "plan prevents space escalation" is more utopian than an alt which claims to end capitalism? Like if fiat is so "utopian" then why do you get to fiat an alt?

we dont get fiat to the alt 

And if you don't fiat an alt, how do you get solvency? Like are you saying that the act of voting neg solves?

voting neg is just responding to an ethical obligation within this round by spreading discourse, obviously capitalism isnt going to dissapear tomorrow but we can work to fix the system 

Okay a few followups:

K1

The idea that everything is a threat when in reality its not, not necessarily...

Yeah but like how do we tell which threats are real and which are fake under your alt?

Space Race

voting neg is just responding to an ethical obligation within this round by spreading discourse, obviously capitalism isnt going to dissapear tomorrow but we can work to fix the system

Wait wait wait. So if you don't claim fiat on the alts, why vote neg? Like how do you stop any of your impacts?

And like if all the alt solves is discourse haven't you already achieved your goal by reading the K?

Okay a few followups:

K1

Yeah but like how do we tell which threats are real and which are fake under your alt?

well obviously threats are constructed by the government in order to justify terrible things so those are bad

Space Race

Wait wait wait. So if you don't claim fiat on the alts, why vote neg? Like how do you stop any of your impacts?

well obviously fiat isnt real but if we work to reject capitalism then we can prevent the impacts

And like if all the alt solves is discourse haven't you already achieved your goal by reading the K?

no because the judge has to be the one to make the ethical decision, people are watching this round, we have to be the ethical decision makers and make the most ethical decision 

case

How is the neg scapegoating?

What warrants do you provide that warming isn't inevitable?

Why should we prefer space daily over empirics?

How does producing discourse and making ethical decisions simulating agency?

Are you conceding that fiat isnt real?

Your Eijkman card lists the 5 c's, how does critical education not solve this

How does roleplaying encourage empathy that couldnt be achieved otherwise?

Threats K

What warrants does ravanal give?

Why should you not be bound to your reps?

How is rejecting the SQ voting for the status quo?

Cap

What warrants does Gibson- Graham give?

Should we prioritize the few good things of capitalism over the structural violence that capitalism does?

You say that psychoanalysis is wrong but your Wolfenstein 2k evidence is from a psychoanalysist.... which way should we go?

How does cap solve the enviornment?

whats the point of going to space if you arent going to exploit it? 

Sorry for the delay!! It was my college move-in day today

case

How is the neg scapegoating?

I mean your Stravrakakis evidence says that utopian thinking causes scapegoating, and we think that is false and unsupported by actual studies

What warrants do you provide that warming isn't inevitable?

Dyer says that even if we are going at a rate that would cause extinction, until the actual extinction event that rate could always be slowed or reversed

Why should we prefer space daily over empirics?

1. We post-date 2. We quote actual Chinese space professionals who know the Chinese government better than your authors 3. Your empirics are our inherency - past attempts failed because of a lack of U.S. commitment 4. Your cards don't have warrants, they just list random events

How does producing discourse and making ethical decisions simulating agency?

I'm not sure I understand the question. Like I'm just saying there's no meaningful difference between the aff saying "the USFG should do X" and the neg saying "The judge should reject X." You're not the judge, I'm not the USFG, so it's a simulation either way.

Are you conceding that fiat isnt real?

Honestly I don't understand your obsession with this. No, the plan does not literally happen. Fiat is just a way for us to endorse the normative statement of the plan and focuses the debate on what should happen instead of what will happen. "You're not the USFG so vote on presumption" is a terrible model of debate

Your Eijkman card lists the 5 c's, how does critical education not solve this

Well for one thing because a "critical education" is a hopelessly vague concept and I've seen no evidence that it's effective. But the real point of that card is that there are pedagogical benefits to a fiat-based model of debate which shouldn't just be written off

How does roleplaying encourage empathy that couldnt be achieved otherwise?

Because it uniquely allows us to understand the thought and actions of others. I'm not sure what other method there is to achieve that

Threats K

What warrants does ravanal give?

Tons of them? 1. There's no specific reason why threat inflation could occur 2. Even a partial dedication to national interests would prevent exaggeration 3. Between "Role-derived behavior" and "conspicuously discouraged" there are 7 independent factors that make threat exaggeration unlikely that I won't retype 10. Threat inflation leads to bad predictions which get people fired

Why should you not be bound to your reps?

Because the only thing we advocate is the plan. Any other system forces the aff to advocate every word they say unconditionally which is hugely unfair and hypocritical. At worst, the aff should at least be allowed to weigh our plan

How is rejecting the SQ voting for the status quo?

Well I guess this comes back to the vagueness of your alts. If the alt is just to reject the 1AC discourse then once you've rejected me then we're back to the status quo and nothing is better. If the alt is to reject all threat discourse (AKA to reject the SQ) then you're going to need fiat (and object fiat at that)

Cap

What warrants does Gibson- Graham give?

If capitalism is a unified system that is everywhere then it can only be replaced by wholesale, bloody revolution which makes the rejection of cap seem impossible and no one wants to join your movement.

Should we prioritize the few good things of capitalism over the structural violence that capitalism does?

I wouldn't call an 80% reduction in extreme poverty "a few good things." The fact is that the world is better and safer for everyone today than it's ever been, so even if capitalism is imperfect it does a lot of good and can be reformed to eliminate the bad.

You say that psychoanalysis is wrong but your Wolfenstein 2k evidence is from a psychoanalysist.... which way should we go?

Psychoanalysis is bunk science and is honestly just completely false and imaginary. What Wolfenstein is saying is completely unrelated to psychoanalysis in any way, which is why it's true.

How does cap solve the enviornment?

1. Capitalism produces economic prosperity which better enables people to correct the environment 2. Markets are the best possible system of feedback - top-down approaches are inflexible and lock in ineffective approaches. 3. Markets are really good at producing new and beneficial technology, which is critical to the environment 4. Capitalist growth ensures we become more efficient and use less resources

whats the point of going to space if you arent going to exploit it?

Scientific discovery mostly. Also to solve the impacts of our case.