Keagan

Flowing on Excel

Hola,

So I've recently been judged and gone against many people that have flowed on their computers rather than flowing traditionally on paper, many people have scolded me for using a computer for flowing, but really have had no reasons for why or why not you should use it. I am pretty fast at typing and can definitely type faster than I can write, so I don't really see a reason for why I shouldn't be flowing on a computer.

What is your opinion?

short hand can be easier on a computer so it could potentially be faster on paper.

Personally i find it easier to spread off the paper flow rather than a excel flow.

Also, theres a chance that your computer could fuck up. 

In addition to the reasons above:

-speaking off paper is more persuasive than reading into a laptop

-maybe increased memory and things from writing stuff down?

-multiple pen colors

-easier to switch pages

-you can draw lines and stuff for crossapplying and extending

-you get your own shapes/symbols for shorthand

-easier to cross something out

-easier for your partner to see your flow

-don't have to switch between speech doc and excel and you can use their speechdoc to catch something you missed while writing it

-improves handwriting

-some judges think computer flowing is stupid and will dislike you

In addition to the reasons above:

-speaking off paper is more persuasive than reading into a laptop

-maybe increased memory and things from writing stuff down?

-multiple pen colors

-easier to switch pages

-you can draw lines and stuff for crossapplying and extending

-you get your own shapes/symbols for shorthand

-easier to cross something out

-easier for your partner to see your flow

-don't have to switch between speech doc and excel and you can use their speechdoc to catch something you missed while writing it

-improves handwriting

-some judges think computer flowing is stupid and will dislike you

100 +  WPM typing speed > all that bullshit 

Any judge that thinks computer flowing is bad deserves to be gulag'd. 

I think flowing on a PC is fine, as long as you aren't prepping for a speech. If you're attempting to build a 2NC and flowing the 2AC on an excel document, that's just another tab you have to switch to. During the 2AC, you want to write down their tags, read their cards, and prepare all at the same time. Even if you can type faster than you can write, this extra tab makes everything more difficult.

I've still heard a number of people telling me about their computer dying mid round. I can give a rebuttal off my flows. I can't give a rebuttal off of a blank screen.

Short answer: flowing on your computer is better if you are judging or watching a round because you are very rarely having to switch between windows while judging/watching. When you are debating, you are having to look at docs and your flows often, which makes it harder to do both on a computer and you will waste time switching back-and-forth with windows. All of Rnivium reason's above are true and the longer answer. 

I can also attest to the computer crashing thing. I was judging octs at Grapevine and my laptop crashed and with it so did my flows in the 2nc. I flowed the 2nc-on on paper and was able to get my computer set back up during prep before the 2ar so I had to go back and reference each flows to make a decision, including speech docs to make a decision, which was exhausting and time-consuming. If I had been debating and that happened to me, it would've been GG.