Dankestshrek

People not Flashing Tags

I just hit a team that didn't flash their tags in the 2AC, is this even allowed? On top of this should we have called abuse or should we have just stopped flashing tags after that round?

My interpretation is that this is allowed but is a jerk move that ruins debate. Especially if the person doing it can't clearly state the tag when they're reading.

No, you should flat out ask them to flash the tags. 

I said "Hey, you didn't flash the tags, can we get those." and he said "oh you need those, I don't flash those, How about you just listen to my speech instead."

I just hit a team that didn't flash their tags in the 2AC, is this even allowed? On top of this should we have called abuse or should we have just stopped flashing tags after that round?

If you pull up a speech doc and there are no tags, you should hand them back the flashdrive and not let the debate continue until they flash you their speech doc.

Lots of needless effort was made to go out of their way to be a jerk. 

My interpretation is that this is allowed but is a jerk move that ruins debate. Especially if the person doing it can't clearly state the tag when they're reading.

Nah - that's shenanigans that this would be allowed - when people debated on paper, they handed the materials over that they read. This included the tag, and I am assuming that they had a tag to indicate the general vibe of the arg even if the changed it up on the fly.

Perhaps if they gave you tags after the speech this would be more kosher? Given that teams woudln't get evidence until after it was read back in olden-times.

I said "Hey, you didn't flash the tags, can we get those." and he said "oh you need those, I don't flash those, How about you just listen to my speech instead."

"LOL, nah - reciprocity, brah"

Was there a judge or anyone watching this? Did they look at your practice round opponent to give the impression that your opponent was indeed an asshat?

You should stop the round and demand the tags literally or just beat their asses.

If they are relying on those types of cheap shots they don't probably know how to debate.

• Upvote 1

Its allowed, but it just means they are dicks and probably bad. You should refuse to flash or even better format the doc in a strange way that makes it impossible to read. Like change the text to wingdinks and then set it to read only. So you are technically flashing, but its not useful. Hope this helped. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

Its allowed, but it just means they are dicks and probably bad. You should refuse to flash or even better format the doc in a strange way that makes it impossible to read. Like change the text to wingdinks and then set it to read only. So you are technically flashing, but its not useful. Hope this helped. 

I agree with you. It's allowed but it's a dick move. You should just format the document in wingdings or chinese or something and say here's what you get for not flashing me tags

If they don't give you tags, and just start speaking (and the judge isn't willing to comment), initiate it as a theory argument in the same way you'd read condo good/bad.

• Upvote 2

If they don't give you tags, and just start speaking (and the judge isn't willing to comment), initiate it as a theory argument in the same way you'd read condo good/bad.

Not flashing tags is a voter:

1) Makes them take prep to edit their speech doc instead of spending time improving the content of the debate.

2) Makes it difficult for us to understand and respond to their claims comprehensively.

3) Makes it difficult to reference and compare evidence.

4) Incentivizes teams removing tags and speaking incomprehensibly for strategic gain.

5) Incentivizes lying about the details of their claims and representations.

Vote on fairness and quality of debate.

• Upvote 4

1) Makes them take prep to edit their speech doc instead of spending time improving the content of the debate.

2) Makes it difficult for us to understand and respond to their claims comprehensively.

4) Incentivizes teams removing tags and speaking incomprehensibly for strategic gain.

yeah, pretty much. 

• Upvote 1

You could also read the speed K separately since it's pretty fucked to spread without tags. 

• Upvote 2

your reply should be equally dick-ish, ie 'I normally wouldn't need them but you're painfully unclear and I'd like to know what ev you're reading given I doubt you can actually get through all this'. 

image.jpg?w=480&c=1

• Upvote 2