heresoidontgetfined

What is an overview?

I don't think I mean roadmapping -- I've been hearing this word used in ways that don't seem to refer to roadmapping.

Here is the thing I read that triggered this question: "A positional take out is just an argument that you can make that can be used generally to sever the affirmatives' ability to link their offense back to their criterion, or generate offense in any other manner. One example of a positional take out is an overview on the contention. These can be devastating because people often just ignore them."

Maybe the author still means roadmapping when he says "overview"? ...but if he does, then the above quote makes no sense to me.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

An overview is generally just an explanation of what an argument is or means. So people ignore them because there usually isn't new information. But if you put framing arguments or offense in an overview and it gets ignored, then you can use that offense to your advantage.

Below is one of the best explanations of what a final rebuttal overview should do:

https://judgephilosophies.wikispaces.com/Thomas%2C+James

There needs to be a chunk of time at the beginning of the 2NR and 2AR that gives an overview. An overview is not a list of arguments that are in the debate. An overview is where you reveal what the puzzle looks like once the pieces fit together. An overview is where you do some macro-level work as to why the debate should be framed one way instead of another, why some things should be valued more than others. An overview is where you step in my shoes for a minute (or 25 seconds, or 45 seconds, whatever works) and pretend like you’re explaining to the other team why they have lost in a way that would satisfy even them. An overview is where you write my ballot for me. (Do people ever write ballots anymore? Or do you just tweet who you voted for and put #block30's if their politics align with yours? Plz let me know.)
This last paragraph is the most important thing on here if you're trying to figure out how to win my ballot. If you take away nothing else, take away this: if one team gives an overview at the top of the 2NR/2AR that does something like this, and the other team doesn’t, the overview team will probably win, even if their evidence is worse, even if their arguments are worse, even if how they perform on the line-by-line is worse. Framing is of utmost importance. Give me a frame.

• Upvote 2