JaxonRCummings

Vdebate JaxonRCummings (Aff) vs. Rnivium (Neg) on China

Hope everyone realizes I was just kidding about that extinction good cyber Aff. Aaaanyway...

CX:

Inherency

Why is pain bad?

Are there any people who do not fear death?

Does the 1AC hold a religious stance?

Demand

Do you defend the text of the demand unconditionally?

Why do non-human animals deserve to die?

Nuclear War

What happens if a portion of humanity survives?

What about the 6 people who are in space right now? (http://www.howmanypeopleareinspacerightnow.com/)

Why is nuclear war the best way to die?

Is suicide good?

Are the values of all human lives equal? Are they all worthless? Or is there value to life?

Framing

Why should we learn about the government?

Is the government good?

The Zanotti ev states "To conclude with a famous phrase by Michel Foucault ‘‘my point is not that everything is bad, but that everything is dangerous, which is not exactly the same as bad. If everything is dangerous, then we always have something to do. So my position leads not to apathy but to hyper- and pessimistic activism.’" - why isn't engagement with the state directly contradictory to the goals of the Aff?

CX:

Inherency

Why is pain bad?

It causes suffering in the masses

Are there any people who do not fear death?

No it is a critical aspect of consciousness, people are born with a fear of the death

Does the 1AC hold a religious stance?

No

Demand

Do you defend the text of the demand unconditionally?

Yes until we die

Why do non-human animals deserve to die?

They have a subtle conscious and façade of happiness

Nuclear War

What happens if a portion of humanity survives?

They wont, prefer germanos 13 that says that the whole population will die as a result of nuclear war

What about the 6 people who are in space right now? (http://www.howmanype...cerightnow.com/THere)

Nuclear explosions will create a wave that extends to outer space resulting in destructionl of the iss

Why is nuclear war the best way to die?

It is the most immediate form of extinction and it causes the least amount of suffering

Is suicide good?

No because it creates micro suffering

Are the values of all human lives equal? Are they all worthless? Or is there value to life?

Ligotti says that “Life only has intrinsic value if you pretend suffering doesn’t exist --- taking it into account flips the equation --- life intrinsically devalues, and is only getting worse”

Framing

Why should we learn about the government?

To understand the empirics behind our corrupt government

Is the government good?

Hell no

The Zanotti ev states "To conclude with a famous phrase by Michel Foucault ‘‘my point is not that everything is bad, but that everything is dangerous, which is not exactly the same as bad. If everything is dangerous, then we always have something to do. So my position leads not to apathy but to hyper- and pessimisticactivism.’" - why isn't engagement with the state directly contradictory to the goals of the Aff?

This is not contradictory suffering is bad and a lines with Zanotti since suffering is empirically bad

BTW I wasn't joking life is horrible

Followups:

Why is suffering bad?

The first card in the 1AC says "Nonhuman occupants of this planet are unaware of death. But we are susceptible to startling and dreadful thoughts, and we need some fabulous illusions to take our minds off them" - so would you agree with me that your framing is unique to humans?

Followups:

Why is suffering bad?

It cause emotional suffering and grief

The first card in the 1AC says "Nonhuman occupants of this planet are unaware of death. But we are susceptible to startling and dreadful thoughts, and we need some fabulous illusions to take our minds off them" - so would you agree with me that your framing is unique to humans?Ligotti says that Life only has intrinsic value if you pretend suffering doesn’t exist --- taking it into account flips the equation --- life intrinsically devalues, and is only getting worse

I realize I forgot to change the violations on the economic/diplomatic topicality arguments. I just copied those over from when I ran them in the space vdebate, haha.

Sorry, I have been at Lab all day.;)

CX:

·         Topicality (USFG, Diplomatic, Economic)

o   Why is Topicality Important?

o   What is included with engagement of china?

o   How do you not have ground?

o   How is military to military engagement not engagement?

o   Why do we have to be both economic and diplomatic engagement?

o   Why is running 4 topicality violations not abusive?

o   Why is grammar a voter?

o   How does the violation of Diplomatic/economic pertain to the Aff?

·         Psychological Masochism

o   What is the thesis of this Kritik?

o   How is only reading one card for a whole off case position non-abusive?

·         Anthro

o   Why should Anthro be a voting issue?

·         Non Humans

o   Do you believe in evolution?

o   Would you agree that animals have evolved since the dawn of time?

·         Poetry

o   What is the thesis of this argument?

·         Case

o   War

§  Why will nuclear war not happen?

§  What is the explanation of extinction not happening in the squo?

o   Framing

§  Would you agree that suffering is happening in the squo?

§ 

Sorry, I have been at Lab all day. ;)

CX:

· Topicality (USFG, Diplomatic, Economic)

o Why is Topicality Important?

Topicality is important to preserve competitive equity within and education/skills from debate.

o What is included with engagement of china?

Under which interpretation? Generally, things like cooperation on issues, trade, economic relations, spending deals, and anything to increase relations bilaterally.

o How do you not have ground?

I can't run things like dip cap, gift Ks, relations CPs/DAs, and other ground off of positive relations.

o How is military to military engagement not engagement?

Because it's violent instead of diplomatic.

o Why do we have to be both economic and diplomatic engagement?

Nope. You only must meet one of them.

o Why is running 4 topicality violations not abusive?

Because it's a vdebate, because you violate 4 things, because 4 disads would be the same, because they are each a necessary test of the Aff, and because if your Aff is really topical it shouldn't be an issue to meet them.

o Why is grammar a voter?

It shapes language, policy, and advocacy.

o How does the violation of Diplomatic/economic pertain to the Aff?

Like I said, I messed up the violations. I'll clarify the way the plan violates if I go for them in the block.

· Psychological Masochism

o What is the thesis of this Kritik?

Masochism is the only true form of liberation. The only way we can become aware of and interact with suffering is to recognize the pleasure that comes from self-inflicted pain. Your argument is that there's a certain existential suffering everyone shares. This suffering has control over us because like you said in the CX of the 1AC, it produces emotional pain. The Aff's acceptance of this pain only leads to domination and more suffering. When we recognize the pleasure of pain, it no longer has control over us and we are liberated.

o How is only reading one card for a whole off case position non-abusive?

It's just not. People read 1-card off-case all the time. If I read 14 DAs with one card each and you spent 20 seconds on each one, it's the same time allocation as me reading a 14 card DA and you spending 4 and a half minutes answering it. Doesn't matter how many in each.

· Anthro

o Why should Anthro be a voting issue?

Because the Aff causes anthropocentric violence and the Kritik is a better way to resolve suffering.

· Non Humans

o Do you believe in evolution?

Yeah.

o Would you agree that animals have evolved since the dawn of time?

Yep.

· Poetry

o What is the thesis of this argument?

I really enjoy this argument. Sara Teasdale's poem says that if humans all kill themselves none of nature/animals are going to care. The part I wrote as an extension of it argues that you call out decrying the suffering of humanity and how we must all die, but the fact that you feel a need to call attention to it goes to show that you are placing value in the lives that are being lost. And then the whole "nature doesn't care" thing.

· Case

o War

§ Why will nuclear war not happen?

Mutually assured destruction because (contrary to the 1AC) not many people really want to die.

§ What is the explanation of extinction not happening in the squo?

The Earth's biocapacity will continue for a long time so if anyone survives they just live in an awful post-apocalyptic world of suffering turning the Aff.

o Framing

§ Would you agree that suffering is happening in the squo?

Yeah. Life has value though.
Edited by Rnivium

Follow Ups:

Why do animals not care if they die?

They do care. They just are't suffering via the contemplation of existence and mortality. They still experience pain.

Sorry for the delay we had camp tourney today and I had to prep other files.;)

Open t CX

when I did Word count it was fine but my computer is on the  fritz so tell me if you with for me  to cut it down.

2AC Nuke.docx

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Do any of your we-meet arguments apply to T - must be QPQ?

Your turns to psychological masochism assume that we be happy for a while then go back to suffering. How does this answer the idea that we can be happy because of suffering? The idea that - as your Ligotti evidence puts it - we celebrate the hunger that makes food taste good?

On anthro, why isn't saying "human suffering is distinct and dreadful, and our first priority must be the end of humans" a recognition of humans above other animals?

Can you explain the evolution stuff?

How does "anthropocentrism inevitable" answer any of the normativity argument?

If the judge votes Aff in this vdebate, will nuclear war happen in real life?

Do any of your we-meet arguments apply to T - must be QPQ?

Your turns to psychological masochism assume that we be happy for a while then go back to suffering. How does this answer the idea that we can be happy because of suffering? The idea that - as your Ligotti evidence puts it - we celebrate the hunger that makes food taste good?

That is a short time facade of suffering

On anthro, why isn't saying "human suffering is distinct and dreadful, and our first priority must be the end of humans" a recognition of humans above other animals?

cross aply the ansews on the envioment that states we need to stop the future suffering, you agreed in CX of the 1Nc that evalution exists and that animals ca evolve to have a concius meaning that only the aff solves for this future suffering 

Can you explain the evolution stuff?

In Cx of the 1NC you agreed that evalution exists and that only through extinction can we solve for the future

How does "anthropocentrism inevitable" answer any of the normativity argument?

We argue that anthro is inevatible and that this is the same for schlag and that your evedence is non-unique

If the judge votes Aff in this vdebate, will nuclear war happen in real life?

We demand the fed do it imediatly once the debate ends we need to act now