longhornsdp

Thumper

Thumpers are great AFF args against a politics DA. Basically, the premise is that some current event trigger the link of the DA. In a normal Agenda Politics DA (Some bill pass now, plan is unpopular, causes fights), a Thumper would be any current bill that is already causing fights in Congress. For example, right now any Agenda Politics DA would probably be thumped by all of the sit ins and fights over gun violence. 

In Elections DAs, a Thumper would be something that already shifts the election in one direction or another. For example, if the arg is that Clinton will win in squo, but plan causes Trump to win, then the AFF could argue that Brexit will already cause Trump to win the election and therefore it THUMPS the DA.

• Upvote 3

Don't label them as thumpers, judges hate that. If they take out link uniqueness then say no link uniqueness, etc etc,

... where did you get this idea that judges hate hearing the word "thumper"...??? 

• Upvote 3

... where did you get this idea that judges hate hearing the word "thumper"...??? 

From judges.

EDIT: Why take the risk of them having a diff definition of thumper (This has happened) when you could just be more specific about what it does. 

Edited by Samuel

From judges. 

... which judges...

EDIT: Why take the risk of them having a diff definition of thumper (This has happened) when you could just be more specific about what it does. 

word economy/efficiency 

• Upvote 1

I debate locally I doubt anyone would know them I am unsure as to if this trend extends outside my region beyond what some lab leaders have told me. If your judges are fine using thumper then by all means go ahead just know that some judges dont' like it.

• Upvote 1