CooperSchwarz

Maintaining Skill

I just got back from the first session of UTNIF Skills, and I did really well. I learned a lot about K debating, got better at spreading, got more techy at debate itself, and I really enjoyed all of it. However, my school doesn't go to many progressive tournaments if at all, and our circuit is almost completely traditional (no spreading, no kritiks, no counterplans either) and I don't really want to lose a lot of the skill I gained from UTNIF. The only place we go to that is progressive is TFA state, but I want to break this year, not just use it as another learning tournament. Does anybody have any recommendations as to things I can do to maintain the skills I gained from UTNIF? 

Do practice debates with other kids that have the same skill level. Also try to teach other kids those skills so that they are fresh in your mind. Hope this helped. 

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 5

Something I did at camp was flow the 1NC to an off case, then write a 2AC to it and flow it, and then give a speech on it as if it were the block. Then rebuttal redo that speech. If you're practicing Ks, make 2ACs with the best/hardest Aff answers and practice responding to them. Practice debates always help, but I think rebuttal redos are better.

• Upvote 4

Do practice debates with other kids that have the same skill level. Also try to teach other kids those skills so that they are fresh in your mind. Hope this helped.

Just brought you back to -69 points. Hope this helped. Edited by jsourouh
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Just brought you back to -69 points. Hope this helped.

Wow you must be so cool. I'm glad that spreading negativity through out this website brings you joy. Hope this helped. 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1