Keagan

Different Types of Perms

Sure. There are way too many perms for me to talk about, but these are the basic ones:

1. Perm do both- This means that you will do both the plan and CP/K at the same time, but you have to prove that the CP/K is not mutually exclusive

2. Perm do plan first- This means that you will pass the aff plan, then do the CP/K. They usually shouldn't be mutually exclusive, and the only reason you should do this perm is if it will truly achieve a better result than the perm do both.

3. Perm do CP/K first- Like the one above, except the other way around. Again, the only reason you should do this perm is if it will truly achieve a better result than the perm do both.

4. Perm do plan only- Usually used for PICs, it means the aff recognizes that the CP is valid but is going to stick to their original plan (because you can't do the same plan or a plan like it twice). You'll really have to attack the CP for  this one, though. Not valid for Ks

5. Perm do CP only- Also used for PICs, but the aff decides to go with the CP instead of the plan. If you do this one, you really have to explain why and be prepared for abuse theory (because it's honestly cheating). Also not valid for Ks

Hope this helps!

Perm do the plan and solve world peace 

Perm do the plan and stop global warming 

Perm do the plan then the counterplan 

perm do the hokie pokie 

Perm endorse twerking as a way of deconstructing capitalist modes of production.

Perm endrose death as a way to resolving anti-blackness. 

Perm do the counterplan while twerking. 

Hope this helped. Message me if you have any questions.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 7

Perm do the plan and solve world peace 

Perm do the plan and stop global warming 

Perm do the plan then the counterplan 

perm do the hokie pokie 

Perm endorse twerking as a way of deconstructing capitalist modes of production.

Perm endrose death as a way to resolving anti-blackness. 

Perm do the counterplan while twerking. 

Hope this helped. Message me if you have any questions.

I want to try the twerking method but can't find the right way to move my butt cheeks. Do you have any demonstrations? thanks.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Is this one of the questions they are asking at UTNIF?

Do not take my work on this, but here are a few I found

Normal Perm: Do the plan, and some or all of the CP/ K

Severance Perm: Do part of the plan and part or all of the CP/ K

Intrinsic Perm: Do the plan, part or all of the CP/ K, and something else

Time-Frame Perm: Do the plan, and do the CP/ K later (or vice versa)

And these are not mutually exclusive

Also, for the Neg

Performance Perms - Used when the affirmative makes some use of performance in their 1AC; the negative attempts to argue they can subsume some or all of the performance and win the round on other grounds. Essentially, they argue that the judge can endorse the performance and still vote negative. Usually run as part of a strategy containing a counter-advocacy to the affirmative, in the form of a CP, K, or even negative performance.

Source- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permutation_(policy_debate)

Edited by jhs4n6
  • Upvote 1

Is this one of the questions they are asking at UTNIF?

Do not take my work on this, but here are a few I found

Normal Perm: Do the plan, and some or all of the CP/ K

Severance Perm: Do part of the plan and part or all of the CP/ K

Intrinsic Perm: Do the plan, part or all of the CP/ K, and something else

Time-Frame Perm: Do the plan, and do the CP/ K later (or vice versa)

And these are not mutually exclusive

Also, for the Neg

Performance Perms - Used when the affirmative makes some use of performance in their 1AC; the negative attempts to argue they can subsume some or all of the performance and win the round on other grounds. Essentially, they argue that the judge can endorse the performance and still vote negative. Usually run as part of a strategy containing a counter-advocacy to the affirmative, in the form of a CP, K, or even negative performance.

Source- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permutation_(policy_debate)

They don't ask questions, it's just a debate.

Sure. There are way too many perms for me to talk about, but these are the basic ones:

1. Perm do both- This means that you will do both the plan and CP/K at the same time, but you have to prove that the CP/K is not mutually exclusive

No it doesn't, a perm does not mean that they functionally do the CP merely that there is no barrier to the CP in the world of the AFF meaning the CP is 0 sum.

No it doesn't, a perm does not mean that they functionally do the CP merely that there is no barrier to the CP in the world of the AFF meaning the CP is 0 sum.

Oh, okay. Sorry, that's how I was taught but thank you for clearing that up

Types of perms:

Some fairly normal perms:

Do both (do the plan and the CP/alt simultaneously)

Timeframe (do one then the other)

Intrinsic (do the plan and something else)

Severance (do the cp/alt and some or none of the plan) 

• Upvote 1

The key thing as the affirmative or negative is to clue into which DAs, Ks, and case arguments (solvency turns/case turns) don't link to the Counterplan, which means they are DAs to the permutation.

Its almost always US government action bad.  Or US congress action bad.  Or Us government/congress action bad through this mechanism or in this area.  

And then the counterplans do either a different type of US action, not through Congress, but just through an agency.

Or they choose an entirely different agency to do it. (pretty rare)

Or they choose a different country to do it.

Or the use the US government to act in another policy area or even related area, which solves part of case, but doesn't get the DA links.

• Upvote 2

The only completely legit and true perm is the one that does all of the affirmative advocacy and all of the negative advocacy. That is Perm do both. Others can be intrinsic to the Aff advocacy or severance from it or its/the neg advocacy's timeframe.

Perm do plan and all non mutually exclusive parts of the alt/cp isn't true perm. It could be used to say that we shouldn't do all of the alt/cp (I.e. The competitive parts). I have used it to capture the fake net benefits of a multi plank PIC.

Perm double bind is probably only useful as a time skew- otherwise it is probably the most illegit and illogical perm that is commonly used.

Many unique perms that don't exactly say "do the cp/alt" could be described as intrinsic- but when they do the alt/cp action in a form that doesn't compete, it can be a way to show the alt/cp's failure to solve and why the plan/reform is key. These can be like "do plan and recognize the socially constructed nature of borders" for borders.

My favorite one is the realism perm against the security k. It slays competition legitimately and produces net benefits.

I once saw someone on a different threat endorsing "perm do the plan" which I thought was ridiculous. That was until first cap deb8 when I used it 2 win. Actually it was "perm do the plan and nothing in the face of other capitalist actions" and it functioned as a terminal solvency deficit and a disad against the alt.

Edited by Raj
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1