priestess

Should I try my senior year?

I joined debate last year as a junior. I went to a few tournaments (local circuit), but I didn't try at them. Should I try senior year? Should I do LD ( I did LD for junior year) or PF? or is a summer too little time to learn what I need to know to be successful at debate (either event) my senior year? Is it worth the effort? Thanks  :flower:

You won't be able to learn much about policy debate in just a summer. Most people would not find losing repeatedly enjoyable, no matter how much personal growth it brought them. I'd say you should go with either PF or LD. Why didn't you try at LD last year? If you don't like it, then give PF a shot. Otherwise, you should stick with what you know.

• Upvote 2

You should quit if you are bad

Yeah that's the spirit...

There's zero reason why your local debate tournies have to be dominated by the "best" debaters- hell most the time they're the least fun.

If debate is an activity and environment you find fun, like something that could grow on you, then definitely pursue that feeling. If you don't quite have that passion, maybe don't stick with it.

I've seen so many people quit because of a lack of success. Its a sad choice but sometimes neccessary choice for someone to make- but don't blatantly encourage them to permanently leave with this little info.

I hope you enjoy your senior year, whatever you choose to do

• Upvote 1