Snarf

Species Hierarchy

I whole-heartedly agree that factory farming is not the most efficient. Right now since it makes up a lot of our food, ditching it suddenly wouls be bad in terms of need.

Well in a perfect world, ditching it wouldn't be that hard.

Now: Grain=> Animals=> People

After: Grain=> Perople

Ditching wouldn't be that bad because we have the food. Of course that's in a vegetarian utopia, but still. 

Well in a perfect world, ditching it wouldn't be that hard.

Now: Grain=> Animals=> People

After: Grain=> Perople

Ditching wouldn't be that bad because we have the food. Of course that's in a vegetarian utopia, but still.

That being a vegetarian utopia is one of the problems. You've got people who eat meat because it's part of their cultural diet, or for health reasons, or just because it tastes good. They don't want to give it up. Additionally, a plant-based diet entirely could have drawbacks for protein (I know there are other proteins like eggs which are probably best obtained by at least farming chickens anyway) and other nutrients that come primarily from meat. Even if we have enough food, there's still setting up society to have the distribution systems to get all that food to the people.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

http://fcmconference.org/img/CambridgeDeclarationOnConsciousness.pdf

what makes you think that non-humans are not conscious?

Adidas06 also had a good point.

as a species that has a conception of morality, it is our responsibility to use it. It's not the animals's fault how they were born.

"In an effort to understand the nature of sympathy in non-humans, in 1963 Jules Masserman investigated how macaques responded to other monkey's suffering in a laboratory environment. How would they behave if they knew that securing food would give an electric shock to another monkey? Masserman's monkeys often prolonged their hunger rather than administer a painful stimulus. One monkey refrained from taking food for twelve days. Responses showed several patterns. Self-starvation was more likely in monkeys that had themselves experienced electroshock as a subject. Sacrificial behavior was not biased towards members of higher dominance rank, but was slightly stronger for cagemates (although not statistically significant). Visual contact, even without auditory cues, seemed sufficient to induce the response. The monkeys' behavior seemed to reflect an understanding of another's pain, as well as strong aversity to causing such suffering. " -  http://www1.umn.edu/ships/evolutionofmorality/images/16c.htm

"In another study, a female gorilla named Binti Jua rescued an unconscious 3-year-old (human) boy who had fallen into her enclosure at the Brookline Zoo in Illinois, protecting the child from other gorillas and even calling for human help. And when a car hit and injured a dog on a busy Chilean freeway several years ago, its canine compatriot dodged traffic, risking its life to drag the unconscious dog to safety"

-LiveScience.org

It is Brookfield Zoo actually.

That being a vegetarian utopia is one of the problems. You've got people who eat meat because it's part of their cultural diet, or for health reasons, or just because it tastes good. They don't want to give it up. Additionally, a plant-based diet entirely could have drawbacks for protein (I know there are other proteins like eggs which are probably best obtained by at least farming chickens anyway) and other nutrients that come primarily from meat. Even if we have enough food, there's still setting up society to have the distribution systems to get all that food to the people.

True. I eat meat too. I'm just saying that we should eat plants. But "could" and "would" are harder questions to answer, I'll admit that much. I think it's ethically clear that plant eating is better, it's just that bacon tastes so damn good...

"arbitrary"

Yeah why dont we have wolfs as house pets wtf

Didn't we kind of make that decision? Thus the dog aka domesticated wolf? (I know it's more complex and different reasons, but js.)
  • Upvote 1

The animals that don't taste good we keep as pets... /:

#anthro

Eh... I'm not saying I've had it, but cats and dogs probably taste similar to meat that many people consume regularly. I'm not saying it would taste good, but it would be edible for sure. Also, people keep pigs, cows, and chickens as pets, and they taste amazing. 

Edit: Wording

Edited by Leffen

Didn't we kind of make that decision? Thus the dog aka domesticated wolf? (I know it's more complex and different reasons, but js.)

Yes, but your own concession that we had reasons for domesticating wolves reveals that arbitrary had nothing to do with it. More over I was trying to illustrate that in the 21st century there is a reason we have cats as house pets instead of lions or some other unpractical and dangerous pet.

Yes, but your own concession that we had reasons for domesticating wolves reveals that arbitrary had nothing to do with it. More over I was trying to illustrate that in the 21st century there is a reason we have cats as house pets instead of lions or some other unpractical and dangerous pet.

It's morally arbitrary in the sense that none deserve slaughter more than others. Like being cute and cuddly doesn't make a puppy more deserving of protection than a cow.

Hierarchy:

Chewing Gum

Queer POC Proletariat

POC Proletariat

Proletariat

Theodor Adorno

• Upvote 1