renaes

Digital Debate Camp?

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone on here has tried DDC? How was it like? Did it help? I'm already attending Dartmouth's 4-week institute in the summer, but I was wondering if I would be able to learn more by attending DDC as well? (especially because I'm more of a kritikal debater)

Haven't done it personally, but with the staff they have lined up it is definitely a great program to look into doing if you can, especially to couple w/ a summer institute. Had a friend who did it and did UTNIF last year and they plan to do the same this year too and they really felt like it was well worth the monies.

• Upvote 1

Given the talented lineup; I think the DDC is more about developing an understanding of the arguments that you're going to be making; I think Maury previously stated here that he gives extensive lectures on Wilderson and Deleuze and Guattari such as to give the debaters the understanding necessary for them to read those arguments in debate. Of course, you could always read the books yourself and come to learn what, for example, the libidinal economy of blackness means; but what the DDC may - and I say may here because I don't have any experiences with the DDC first hand but am merely making assumptions - teach you is how to deploy such theories in a manner that is effective within the debate space. It's one thing to know why blackness is ontological - at least for Wilderson - but it's another to know the implications of that argument (or meta-ontological statement as it were) in a debate. 

• Upvote 1

In interest of full disclosure, I'll be a lab leader at both DDC and DDI this year.

DDC is a good supplement to DDI, especially given the low price.  For K debaters, I think DDC is better than a lot of camps at getting you acclimated to reading at a high level and packaging dense concepts into debate-useful material.  Unlike most camps, we have seminars where students are asked to complete several readings in the span of a week or two and Steven or I lead a lecture/guided discussion to walk you through it and identify important takeaways.  Last year, we did a few seminar readings on Afropessimism, Deleuze, Schmitt, Agamben, Benjamin, amongst others.  We're also good about bringing in successful guest lecturers to talk to everyone about different literature bases-- for example, we had Jesse Robbins from OU talk extensively about settler colonialism arguments in debate.  Finally, the lab leaders have a flexible schedule that'll allow them to watch you give practice speeches and provide real time feedback to improve.  Historically, the camp boasts several successful high school and college K debaters who've completed the institute.  If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM Steven or me.

Hopefully, see you at both!

Edited by shreethebsmaster
  • Upvote 1

In interest of full disclosure, I'll be a lab leader at both DDC and DDI this year.

DDC is a good supplement to DDI, especially given the low price.  For K debaters, I think DDC is better than a lot of camps at getting you acclimated to reading at a high level and packaging dense concepts into debate-useful material.  Unlike most camps, we have seminars where students are asked to complete several readings in the span of a week or two and Steven or I lead a lecture/guided discussion to walk you through it and identify important takeaways.  Last year, we did a few seminar readings on Afropessimism, Deleuze, Schmitt, Agamben, Benjamin, amongst others.  We're also good about bringing in successful guest lecturers to talk to everyone about different literature bases-- for example, we had Jesse Robbins from OU talk extensively about settler colonialism arguments in debate.  Finally, the lab leaders have a flexible schedule that'll allow them to watch you give practice speeches and provide real time feedback to improve.  Historically, the camp boasts several successful high school and college K debaters who've completed the institute.  If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM Steven or me.

Hopefully, see you at both!

Does the DDC post lectures online, or is there a possibility of purchasing lectures individually or in a package? I don't really have the time to attend it and engage but I've heard great things about the lectures. 

• Upvote 1

The digital debate camp is an awesome program. I have both participated at the camp as a student and staff member, and it is responsible for so much of my growth as a young high school debater, so much so that my school went on to hire multiple staff members as debate coaches/consultants (Steven Murray, Christopher Leonardi). Unlike other more "traditional camps", the ddc takes place all in the comfort of your own home, and it does not just end after a few weeks. The staff members are always available to answer questions and give help all summer and during the debate season, the files and cards produced from the camp will be very useful for multiple argument positions on the topic, and the lectures and practice debates force debaters at any level to improve. The DDC is incredible, and like any other camp, you get out what you put in, but with this camp, what you put in financially makes this program one of the most cost-saving and reasonable ways to get very good at debate very quickly. The staff is always incredible, the lectures are detailed and oriented toward teaching students the art of persuasion and a work ethic that will produce debate success. The DDC is a program aimed at making students better at debate for a low cost. It has produced multiple toc and ndt elim participants over the years. If you do it and are proactive about putting in the work to improve, you will enter the year more prepared for debates at all levels than your opponents.

• Upvote 2