Hey,

I'm a local circuit debater, with plans to transition into the National Circuit next year. Given that I have experience only on a local level, and coming from a limited funded team with no coach, I need to learn a lot on research and strategies. I am pretty successful locally, however I learned most of what I know from my captain, who's graduating and is leaving this year. She's mostly a K/Narrative debater, and I have slowly become that as well. I love Ks and most of my past 2nrs have been on it, and I've run mostly K/Narrative affs (with the exception of a few soft policy "We demand" affs), but I guess I'm open to learning more of policy as well. Given this, I was wondering which lab would be best fit for me?

• Shree Asware/Tracy McFarland
  • Chris Crowe/John Turner
  • Jyleesa Hampton/Lindsey Shook
  • Sean Kennedy/Dylan Quigley
  • Mikaela Malsin/Ken Strange

Hey,

I'm a local circuit debater, with plans to transition into the National Circuit next year. Given that I have experience only on a local level, and coming from a limited funded team with no coach, I need to learn a lot on research and strategies. I am pretty successful locally, however I learned most of what I know from my captain, who's graduating and is leaving this year. She's mostly a K/Narrative debater, and I have slowly become that as well. I love Ks and most of my past 2nrs have been on it, and I've run mostly K/Narrative affs (with the exception of a few soft policy "We demand" affs), but I guess I'm open to learning more of policy as well. Given this, I was wondering which lab would be best fit for me?

Best Bets wouuld be HS or the KQ lab(Has historically been the more K leaning lab at DDI) but Jyleesa and Lindsey shook both have lots of experience with K affs and neg args

Best Bets wouuld be HS or the KQ lab(Has historically been the more K leaning lab at DDI) but Jyleesa and Lindsey shook both have lots of experience with K affs and neg args

^^this

But, if there was any doubt about wanting to transition away from K-heavy debate I would choose the AM lab. T-Mac is one of the best coaches in Texas for sure. My junior year was my school's first year to really branch outside of local, more traditional-style debate as we began to compete at more competitive and progressive regional tournaments around the DFW area and T-Mac was actually one of my favorite judges to have during that transition because of just how amazing her knowledge of debate is and her RFDs were always super helpful. Even if you don't chose to go that route, I would still spend a little bit of time picking her mind about debate.

Edited by CodyGustafson

Hey,

This isn't so hard; one of my teams read nothing but homecut evidence for the entire year with moderate success; which is to say that they didn't break a lot but were constantly winning (top) speaker awards. There are a lot of really good K's out there that are applicable to the myriad of affirmatives that are being read on the national circuit; for example, Antiblackness, Deleuze and Guattari, Berlant (Nietzsche), and Capitalism to name a few; I think it's really only a question of how familiar you are with the evidence.