Hello I am a novice looking to learn how to run K's and better understand them. I know the basic structure well. Where can I find info on how to run one or if anyone has any advice on where to start with getting to know K's. Also if you recommend any books or philosophers to read that would be very helpful! 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Cap K is a great first K to learn and understand, its pretty basic to grasp and is a good stepping stone to learning other K's. I could type out some really long explanation about how to run K's or how to answer them but a quick search on the forums will lead you to posts by more experienced debaters who do it far better than I, you can also talk to any varsity debaters on your team or your coach assuming they know policy. If you have neither I would recommend looking into a debate camp, though you will need to act fast to get in one before they start.

• Upvote 2

Echoing Sam, cap K is a good starting place, as well as biopower. For cap, look into Zizek, Marx, and some cap files online. For biopower, Foucault is good author. Cap is good because it's basic, biopower is good because almost all other Ks relate back to biopower and management of life. It may help if you know what specific arguments you're looking to make in your K - If you hate capitalism, cap K. If you identify as queer, queer theory. If you are a black body, Wilderson might be a good starting point. All Ks make different arguments, and if you know what arguments you want to make, you can find (or write) a K regarding that topic.

Edited by NickDB8
  • Upvote 1

I highly recommend using the cross-x search function to find more on this; there are a lot of older threads with great posts that explain K debate very well, but you should look for them. I'd link, but my familiarity with this site has waned over the past year or so. The search bar is in the top-right corner of cross-x webpages.

I also recommend looking at the bottom of this page, in the "Similar Topics" box, which has some relevant threads for you to look through.

Edited by dancon25
  • Upvote 2

These links should help you: ​

webpages.johnprager.net/IPD/Chapter14.htm

debate.uvm.edu/NFL/cxkbennett0496.pdf

cross-x.com/topic/27340-kritik-help

The first site presents an outdated model of the K. One can just look at the determinism and see that it doesn't even have an advocacy.

Plus, "the ks are a priori to everything else" isn't necessarily true- Most people evaluate the framing or theory before they go to the K itself- for example, if the Aff wins on "reject alts bad" or floating piks bad then you reject the K on that theory regardless of what the k says. Or if you win that extinction should be prioritized first- the judge rejects the arg that doesn't impact out to extinction.

• Upvote 1