LaurenMutton

Which states still have policy debate?

Missouri has policy debate that seems to have never left the 80s, so if you consider that then we do. 

Do you mean like no spreading and no Ks?

• Upvote 1

Do you mean like no spreading and no Ks?

I consider myself a k team and we have a few teams around here that spread/run k's. What I mean when I said it's like we are in the 80s, is that the overall debate community in Missouri has a very negative attitude towards progressive debate styles and our judging pool (at least the KC side, St.Louis is better) is not very tolerant at all of critical policy. And that fact alone, in my opinion, is why it is very hard for Missouri to compete nationally. Also we have to abide by the rules of MSHSAA which does not allow more than one out of state tournament (maybe two counting Nats) so we are very closed in and don't experience much different than local styles. Not saying we don't have some great critical teams though, because we do, it's just not very common

• Upvote 2

I think California still has a few teams left.

Wow really???!!!!  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek: I had no idea!1!!!!11!!!1111!

• Upvote 5

East Mo has some spread teams. Not a lot but still a few.

Some of your teammates need to realize that they are NOT a spread team.

I consider myself a k team and we have a few teams around here that spread/run k's. What I mean when I said it's like we are in the 80s, is that the overall debate community in Missouri has a very negative attitude towards progressive debate styles and our judging pool (at least the KC side, St.Louis is better) is not very tolerant at all of critical policy. And that fact alone, in my opinion, is why it is very hard for Missouri to compete nationally. Also we have to abide by the rules of MSHSAA which does not allow more than one out of state tournament (maybe two counting Nats) so we are very closed in and don't experience much different than local styles. Not saying we don't have some great critical teams though, because we do, it's just not very common

I'm not sure how much better St. Louis is. While I can't speak for KC, as a St. Louis debater there are only a select few judges who will listen to critical positions in STL.

Edited by diantonion

Missouri has policy debate that seems to have never left the 80s, so if you consider that then we do. 

Debate is debate.  And IMO, Traditional Policy >>> PFD. 

I'm not sure how much better St. Louis is. While I can't speak for KC, as a St. Louis debater there are only a select few judges who will listen to critical positions in STL.

I feel you. In KC, though, it is very rare. I don't see St. Louis around here a lot, but when I do that's my take. However, you probably know more than I. Bottom line though, in MO, it is pretty hard to find some Kritik accepting judges, or even just experienced ones. 

One of the judges on the final's panel at a local tournament voted neg on presumption because we emailed the other judges speech docs. 

They wrote that on the ballot?

T - "spread team"

Necro-ing but w/e

There are probably like 5 kids (Luis, Lucy, Bryan, Nishant, Aditya (kind of)) that can speed in East Mo right now (by speed I mean like 280-300 wpm) and there's only one team that has two of them on it (West Agarwal/Zhang)

There's actually quite a few, but almost all are former HS/College debaters (although from experience, they don't reliably come to tournaments)

I heard that Tennessee was down to just mba and usn :(

Hume Fogg has an up and coming program but yeah for the most part it's mostly just us rip.

Hume Fogg has an up and coming program but yeah for the most part it's mostly just us rip.

Doesn't Soulsville debate?

seriosly though, while talking fast is fun, it seems policy debate is on the decline

Policy is alive & on the rise in Wyoming, but most teams don't spread above a 4 or 5

Doesn't Soulsville debate?

No idea who/what that is, sorry

I hit a Soulsville team at a regional tournament in Arkansas. We went 6 off. 2AC conceded 5 of those off;

• Upvote 1

Dan Fitzmier, the current director at northwestern, went to hume fogg.  It would be nice if they were in action again.

Illinois, New York, Ohio, and Maryland certainly still have policy debate; it's not as strong in Ohio, though. In Illinois, especially in the Chicagoland area, policy debate is the dominant forensics event by far.

Yeah, some Ohio schools' programs have been liquidated, and only 2/3 big districts have it, but there still are plenty of teams and tournaments.

Yeah, some Ohio schools' programs have been liquidated, and only 2/3 big districts have it, but there still are plenty of teams and tournaments.

nice necro

• Upvote 3