LaurenMutton

Which states still have policy debate?

I know that North Dakota no longer has it, and I have heard that many other states no longer have it too.  Does anyone have a list of states that still have at least 1 school with policy debate? 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I don't have a list, but I know that a lot of states still have policy debate. States I have personally seen debaters from include Texas, Kansas, Florida, California, Illinois, Minnesota, and Michigan.

• Upvote 1

Illinois, New York, Ohio, and Maryland certainly still have policy debate; it's not as strong in Ohio, though. In Illinois, especially in the Chicagoland area, policy debate is the dominant forensics event by far.

New Mexico, Utah, DC, Arizona, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, Iowa, Nevada, Kentucky, North Carolina, Rhode Island, Virginia, New Jersey, Nebraska, South Dakota, and Wisconsin also have some.

Perhaps a better way of phrasing it (it seems that many states have it by default): which states don't have policy debate anymore: North Dakota, Vermont, Indiana (?), South Carolina, what else?

• Downvote 1

Yes Florida.

Arkansas (barely), Missouri, Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, etc.

I heard that Tennessee was down to just mba and usn :(

damn guess we should have not been so fast with our talking #ivorytower 

seriosly though, while talking fast is fun, it seems policy debate is on the decline

seriosly though, while talking fast is fun, it seems policy debate is on the decline

eh I wouldn't be so sure about that. in oregon, it actually seems to be doing okay (improving? hard to say, but definitely not declining rapidly) and it's not like you see massive decline in attendance at bid tournaments etc (actually I think a lot had more teams than years past).

New Mexico, Utah, DC, Arizona, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, Iowa, Nevada, Kentucky, North Carolina, Rhode Island, Virginia, New Jersey, Nebraska, South Dakota, and Wisconsin also have some.

Not a state, but DC does not really have it after the death of the program at my school. GDS is there but has a lessened presence than in past years and doesn't participate in regional tournaments. 

Not a state, but DC does not really have it after the death of the program at my school. GDS is there but has a lessened presence than in past years and doesn't participate in regional tournaments. 

Do National Cathedral or St Johns debate?

Edited by Leffen

So what if I don't want CX debate to die? Can we, like, save it? Make it more popular? I should think its popularity would increase over time.

I am also fairly certain that NH is down to Guertin. 

New Mexico only has like two or so teams only left.

Edited by Leffen

So what if I don't want CX debate to die? Can we, like, save it? Make it more popular? I should think its popularity would increase over time.

I don't know if its dying, we would need to find some kind of way to record the amount of teams nationally, as far as saving goes promoting awareness, pushing for debate related scholarships, and showing the world the value of debate are all good ways.

I don't know if its dying, we would need to find some kind of way to record the amount of teams nationally, as far as saving goes promoting awareness, pushing for debate related scholarships, and showing the world the value of debate are all good ways.

What's your plan for doing that?