MorticOkemjo

Counter K's to K Affs

I was wondering what kritiks you can run against critical affirmatives. This year the only off I had was Marx, Framework, and TVA, but then I ran into Marx affirmatives. I'm specifically looking for kritik ideas to run against cap and identity affirmatives.

Edited by MorticOkemjo

It depends on the AFF lol. Different K AFFs link to different things just like different policy AFFs do - here's a few suggestions if you want them though 

Most cap AFFs link pretty hard to identity Ks - anti-cap authors tend to disavow a lens on identity in favor of totalizing critique of class -  most identity ptx authors find this problematic because and makes invisible the reality that certain populations suffer more under cap. Probably every cap team is going to A. say they're R/C and B. say I.D. Ptx = fracturing that reinforces cap so you'll need good answers to those. 

Identity politics AFFs link to cap (see above) and also a lot of high theory Ks about identity. For example, you could look into Deleuzian Ks of static identity or Baudrillard's stuff on difference vs Otherness. Certain types of identity politics will link to other kinds, too - (for example, an anti-blackness AFF would link to decol Ks) - however, I personally feel like this devolves into oppression olympics and essentialist claims such as "My identity group suffers more than yours!" 

In general, the academy K links to nearly every K AFF, and it is particularly useful against AFFs that invoke trauma or read narratives if you are interested in a generic K to read vs K AFFs. 

I was wondering what kritiks you can run against critical affirmatives. This year the only off I had was Marx, Framework, and TVA, but then I ran into Marx affirmatives. I'm specifically looking for kritik ideas to run against cap and identity affirmatives.

I know that feel ; _ ; you think you're set but then they read the K you read back at you in the form of an aff ; _________ ; 

• Upvote 3

Cap/FW is typically what happens. As TyR said, it's really about the aff you're debating. Utopianism (Stravikakas is the author, I think) K wouldn't be bad, and Mark Kingwell write some stuff talking about why a lot of kritikal advocacies are authoritarian.

Cap's sufficient, or Anthro, or even various identity args that you can access.

Against cap bad affs, just say cap good- most positive engagement you can have without being forced to defend something morally problematic.

I know that feel ; _ ; you think you're set but then they read the K you read back at you in the form of an aff ; _________ ;

See, stuff like is why I don't buy it when all these K teams are like 'Switch Side Bad.'

I'd try Seshadri Crooks against antiblackness. Like a specialized version of psych.

University K is imo a decent argument. I think it is problematic when people see debate space as a place to create change. Links into most K affs.

I'd try Seshadri Crooks against antiblackness. Like a specialized version of psych.

University K is imo a decent argument. I think it is problematic when people see debate space as a place to create change. Links into most K affs.

Particularly, I think Bifo's work on exhaustion and the semiocapitalist nature of activism paired with more specific university turns could be a very viable strategy that a lot of teams don't seem to answer properly or with a lot of offense. 

See, stuff like is why I don't buy it when all these K teams are like 'Switch Side Bad.'

Switch Side Bad is a dumb argument though 

but high school teams suck at framework so what's easier

Edited by TheZodiacKiller

Nah. It's basically terminal defense. 

• Upvote 2

Nah. It's basically terminal defense. 

BUT U GET COOPTED BY THE UNIVERSITY!!!1!!!!!111!

CX: So what's the impact...

U GET COOPTED

CX: But why does that matter

U GET COOPTED

CX: What's the material implication of being coopted

COOPTION 

CX: But we already read the aff so how does the alt solve

WE JUST TAKE THE UNIVERSITY, AND MOVE IT OVER THERE- LIKE PATRICK SAID!

• Upvote 3

"Nah judge, I know you've seen us say "Cap bad" 5 times this year, but this time I swear that Capitalism is literally the only form of governance and their cap K is literally Bolshiviks who need to be purged like the little marxists they are. I swear judge, I swear cap is good this one time."

• Upvote 1