jenxtang

TOC Predictions + will there be streams

Blake SW, Westminister CK, Rowland, Peninsula TW, maybe Law Mag GJ, Baltimore has a good team... don't really know a lot of good teams. These are just teams I have heard of.

don't know bout streaming though.  

I'm pretty sure TOC breaks to Octos- my predictions (in no order)

1. Blake SW

2. Little Rock WW

3. Rowland Hall GL

4. East Kentwood BO

5. Westminster CK

6. Westminster DH

7. Peninsula TW 

8. Highland BD

9. GBS RS

10. GBN JT

11. Niles West GG

12. McDonough JN

13.New Trier BK

14. Walter Payton BC

15. St. Marks KP

16. SVDP HM

Who has a really good chance of breaking imo:

1. Skyline HL

2. Centennial LP

3. BCC YE

4. Uprep CM

5. Law Magnet JG

6. Blake NW

7. Greenhill KS

8. Alpharetta KK

9. CK McClatchy HN

10. BCC DI

11. Whitney Young BF

All personal opinion though, a lot of the teams this years has been great! I mainly took into account amount of tournaments/bids and personal knowledge of the teams.

• Upvote 6

Debate Stream should be streaming it. Thats where I watch all of my rounds. (its a youtube channel) I think it will be either LawMag GJ, University Prep CM, Westminster CK, Westminster DH, Rowland Hall GL or Blake SW. In my opinion it will either be Blake SW or LawMag GJ. Blake went 19-0 at Greenhill which is basically the TOC and they won Harvard too which is pretty damn impressive. But LawMag are monster Anti-Blackness debaters and won TFA state (in case you don't know thats the texas state championship and its cut throat as fek) and have gone really far in all their tournaments.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Debate Stream should be streaming it. Thats where I watch all of my rounds. (its a youtube channel) I think it will be either LawMag GJ, University Prep CM, Westminster CK, Westminster DH, Rowland Hall GL or Blake SW. In my opinion it will either be Blake SW or LawMag GJ. Blake went 19-0 at Greenhill which is basically the TOC and they won Harvard too which is pretty damn impressive. But LawMag are monster Anti-Blackness debaters and won TFA state (in case you don't know thats the texas state championship and its cut throat as fek) and have gone really far in all their tournaments.

Actually, I think either Michigan or Montgomery Bell was the hardest tournament this year. Little Rock Central WW won Michigan and Peninsula won Montgomery Bell. 

Rowland Hall was undefeated at NDCA Nationals until the final round where they dropped to Smarx KP. 

Harvard, though obviously not "easy" by any standards, was the easiest bid tournament that weekend, in my opinion that is, because Berkeley which had over 200 maybe even 300 entries if I remember correctly, was the same weekend, and so was Pine Crest which is where many of the good policy teams went. 

Note that this is not to say that Blake SW aren't OG's because they're phenomenal, I just don't think anything is set in stone.

• Upvote 1

Is streaming something I can like help with? I'm going to be in LD but if/whe I get out early i'd be down to help stream/round report policy rounds.

• Upvote 4

Is streaming something I can like help with? I'm going to be in LD but if/whe I get out early i'd be down to help stream/round report policy rounds.

There was a discussion in the HS Debate facebook group

Honestly, unlike the ndt the toc is on the most part very unpredictable. Teams that perform very well usually may not break or drop to a underdog often at the toc. I'm expecting blake sw, law mag gj, lrc ww, peninsula tw, rowland hall, westminister whatever their top team is to perform well the toc just because of their consistency.

• Upvote 1

Gotta be honest though, I still think Blake has the best chance along with Westminster. I think they have best coaching staff, and blake has been to TOC like 3 times or something now. Experience comes in handy I think. But honestly I think law mag GJ and university prep are also contenders for semis/finals. The university prep coach guy went all the way to semis of TOC in 14' without dropping a ballot. He win all of NAUDL and some other tournament before that without dropping a single ballot before finally downing vs the winners in semis. Law mag is also hella goood. But Coolio is right - TOC is ridiculously unpredictable - virtual nobodies have made it really far. 

Can attest: dropped to GJ at TFA in our last round and they're amazing at debate. Really great guys; wishing all of Law Mag well at the TOC

Rowland Hall vs. Peninsula in finals.

Monica (I don't want to butcher her last name, but she's from Lincoln Prep BM) Ricardo, and one other person.

What about Monica Madeiros and Ellen Baker (Lincoln Prep BM)? 

What about Monica Madeiros and Ellen Baker (Lincoln Prep BM)? 

A friend who went to camp with Monica told me she is the best performance debater in high school.

Y'all should check out their wiki, it's pretty cool.

A friend who went to camp with Monica told me she is the best performance debater in high school.

Y'all should check out their wiki, it's pretty cool.

They didn't qualify, is live streaming the TOC
  • Upvote 1

Ricardo is not going to be streaming the rounds, the ToC wasn't going to pay him to do it and he just was unable to do it this year. Monica said they will pick up some streams for policy, but will be mostly-centered on debates featuring people of color. Sarah Robinson also said they will be streaming some rounds, with the help of some of Ricardo's equipment. I believe the discussion was that one of their streams will be policy, one for LD, and two for PFD (but may be wrong on that, idk).

• Upvote 1

Ricardo is not going to be streaming the rounds, the ToC wasn't going to pay him to do it and he just was unable to do it this year. Monica said they will pick up some streams for policy, but will be mostly-centered on debates featuring people of color. Sarah Robinson also said they will be streaming some rounds, with the help of some of Ricardo's equipment. I believe the discussion was that one of their streams will be policy, one for LD, and two for PFD (but may be wrong on that, idk).

Okay, where can I find the streams?

Okay, where can I find the streams?

Monica is going to post a link in the HS Policy Debate group -- I will edit this post w/ the link whenever it becomes available.

Edit:

Link for stream:

Link for ToC Google Doc: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10kHOWAejRCxnOnC_0QHvl2haIkYx5V7OprN4XvKCPmE/edit#gid=867746803

Edited by CodyGustafson
  • Upvote 7

Monica is going to post a link in the HS Policy Debate group -- I will edit this post w/ the link whenever it becomes available.

Edit:

Link for stream:

Link for ToC Google Doc: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10kHOWAejRCxnOnC_0QHvl2haIkYx5V7OprN4XvKCPmE/edit#gid=867746803

I think a collective thank you from Cross-X directed towards the person live-streaming is something we could all agree with; I'm not part of this facebook group (dont have a facebook) but if you have the chance, thank them for what they're doing as these debates are really really important to some of us 

• Upvote 7