Nodulux

Practice Debates with only two people?

Hey, so my partner and I will be the only varsity team at our school next year, and we (obviously) want to prepare as much as we can over the summer. I was wondering if anyone has any tips for practice debates, considering there is nobody to debate against besides each other. Should we just have a normal debate, one on one, with extra prep time to make up for CX? Should we focus more on individual speeches? Is there even a point to this, or should we spend our energy on regular drills and argument preparation?

Thank you for any help!

you should find a team from another school who you're really chill with and maybe do some practice rounds with them; that's what my partner and I do (we're also our school's only circuit policy team) 

Also, do a lot of rebuttal redoes

• Upvote 2

I think that you should have a policy debate that is in the times of LD with one minute added to every speech, and two to the 1AC. It allows you to have more word economy skills (getting more content into a shorter amount of time) and to make you be able to accurately answer arguments in a more direct fashion in order to make the issues more resolved.

• Upvote 1

you should find a team from another school who you're really chill with and maybe do some practice rounds with them; that's what my partner and I do (we're also our school's only circuit policy team) 

Yeah, we will look into this, but we also wanted something we could do on our own, especially to test new args and such (we don't want to reveal all of our tricks to other teams on the circuit before the time is ripe)

Also, do a lot of rebuttal redoes

True, but for that we need rebuttals to redo XD. Hence, practice rounds

I think that you should have a policy debate that is in the times of LD with one minute added to every speech, and two to the 1AC. It allows you to have more word economy skills (getting more content into a shorter amount of time) and to make you be able to accurately answer arguments in a more direct fashion in order to make the issues more resolved.

This is a really good idea, thank you!

hey yo conrad I'm up for a virtual practice debate. I could prolly get Soren to join me (or someone else if he's too lazy)

Edited by AltsNeverSolve
  • Upvote 1

hey yo conrad I'm up for a virtual practice debate. I could prolly get Soren to join me (or someone else if he's too lazy)

We would really appreciate that. It will have to wait till the summer, but I will hit you up for sure.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

When season starts you should record your rounds (with other teams permission of course) and see where u messed up or what you could've done better

When season starts you should record your rounds (with other teams permission of course) and see where u messed up or what you could've done better

This is useful advice, but not really what I was looking for... I was specifically curious about off-season practice

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2