amvj

Parents said no to debate camp...

I got into GDS 2 week, Northwestern 4 week, and DDI + DDIx, but my parents said no to all three. How do I convince them otherwise? Is it possible to be good at debate without going to camp?

Thanks for your input!

It's definitely possible. Camp is just super helpful. Why won't they let you go?

They don't see the benefits of a camp meeting or exceeding the cost. Also, I went last year to UNT and in their minds it was a waste of money.

1. Try the digital debate camp

2. Try UTNIF -- they're relatively cheap

3. Apply for scholarships at those camps

4. Apply for scholarships from the Voices Foundation.

• Upvote 2

What High School do you debate at?

Thank you for the suggestions! I will definitely look into the digital debate camp and UTNIF!

if you are UDL kid you'd probably get discounts  at most camps

It is not that my parents cannot afford the camps, it is that they don't see the benefit in them.

It is not that my parents cannot afford the camps, it is that they don't see the benefit in them.

Well CODI, is super cheap, but its only 6 days long. It would be enough to help you out, and be just cheep enough that your parents might not see the harm in going. 

Edited by Dankestshrek
  • Upvote 1

Well CODI, is super cheap, but its only 6 days long. It would be enough to help you out, and be just cheep enough that your parents might not see the harm in going.

Thanks! I will look into it!

Come up with a list of debate alumni that went to camp and are doing really well in life

Thanks! That is a great idea! I hope it works.

Thanks! I will look into it! Thanks! That is a great idea! I hope it works.

If they're conservative mention Ted Cruz. If not, he's proof of debate turning people into fascists. 

• Upvote 1

If they're conservative mention Ted Cruz. If not, he's proof of debate turning people into fascists. 

I thought Cruz did parli, not policy?

I had the same problem with my parents allowing me to go to Gonzaga. In the end, the main factor that swayed their decision was the idea that it was an investment. I had them talk with my coach about how camp allows you to access your potential, and how many of the colleges look for it. It also is a place to network. They had to trust that I was a good enough debater to become better and that it would ultimately be a breeding ground for scholarships.

• Upvote 2

I had the same problem with my parents allowing me to go to Gonzaga. In the end, the main factor that swayed their decision was the idea that it was an investment. I had them talk with my coach about how camp allows you to access your potential, and how many of the colleges look for it. It also is a place to network. They had to trust that I was a good enough debater to become better and that it would ultimately be a breeding ground for scholarships.

What year did you go the GDI and what lab?

Thank you for the suggestions! I will definitely look into the digital debate camp and UTNIF!

The Digital Debate Camp is great for debaters in your situation and the camp director (me) interacts with parents quite regularly, so it shouldn't be too hard to convince your parents to let you join.  You can have them contact us through our website and if you'd like you can feel free to PM me here if you have any questions.

• Upvote 6

I too recommend that you email Steven (Maury) and work out a plan with him!

By the way, Steven, is there any chance that the DDC will eventually branch out into an Evazon-like evidence sales platform?

Edited by Chaos
  • Upvote 6

I too recommend that you email Steven (Maury) and work out a plan with him!

By the way, Steven, is there any chance that the DDC will eventually branch out into an Evazon-like evidence sales platform?

It would have if I had bought cross-x.com way back when Kerpen first sold it.  As it is, without the major forum traffic, you just can't get enough buyers to make an evidence market works.  I can assure you, if I did start an evazon market, authors would be regularly paid. For now, I will be content with owning and operating the oldest and most established digital camp of all time.  

• Upvote 5

The Digital Debate Camp is great for debaters in your situation and the camp director (me) interacts with parents quite regularly, so it shouldn't be too hard to convince your parents to let you join.  You can have them contact us through our website and if you'd like you can feel free to PM me here if you have any questions.

Who will be working at the Digital Debate Camp this year?