Zhangs2606

OOO Hyperobjects and Irony

I know that I'm super behind the band wagon on this one, since OOO as a phase in debate seems to have gone away for the most part. However with that being said, I'm still trying to get a solid grasp on the thesis of OOO and how it relates to Morton's hyperobject and most importantly how irony is used. I've noticed that in the realm of OOO Morton in particular uses throws around the term irony like it's a football in white suburbia and I'm not exactly sure what irony is in this context. I guess a majority of this stems from Morton's description of art as hypocrisy (weakness and irony), and every time I try to consult external sources, they just end up using even more confusing terms to try to explain it. 

Any sort of explanation or help, or resources to help me understand terms like meta-irony, ecological irony, post modern irony, post irony etc would be greatly appreciated

• Upvote 1

There's a mod on here, I think he goes by Phantom or something, who can explain why OOO is stupid (how do you enact an ontology as a normative strategy, for example? An ontology is a view of the world, merely saying that the world operates in a certain way because of certain things does not mean it has any normative value) and how even the very idea of an object-oriented ontology is impossible in itself (how can you think about objects, for objects?) Bryant and Morton are so adamant in their critique of correlationism that they forget the inevitability of it. 

I know this doesn't answer your question but please don't try to pursue this as an actual viable strategy. You don't see people reading Platonic Forms as an alt to Affs - and that's because using a metaphysical theory as an alternative is dumb and has no normative value. 

Normative obligations are derived from our ontological standpoint. If i view X without value, it is permissable for me use it. If i view X with value, I have a normative obligation to not use it. etc.

Normative obligations are derived from our ontological standpoint. If i view X without value, it is permissable for me use it. If i view X with value, I have a normative obligation to not use it. etc.

Ontology is not about values.  There's no way to derive an ought from an is.

• Upvote 4

There's a mod on here, I think he goes by Phantom or something, who can explain why OOO is stupid (how do you enact an ontology as a normative strategy, for example? An ontology is a view of the world, merely saying that the world operates in a certain way because of certain things does not mean it has any normative value) and how even the very idea of an object-oriented ontology is impossible in itself (how can you think about objects, for objects?) Bryant and Morton are so adamant in their critique of correlationism that they forget the inevitability of it. 

I know this doesn't answer your question but please don't try to pursue this as an actual viable strategy. You don't see people reading Platonic Forms as an alt to Affs - and that's because using a metaphysical theory as an alternative is dumb and has no normative value.

You'd think this, but I actually did see a Neg team try to do this. They read a K that started with cards saying "materialism," referring to the ethical belief that acquiring things is good, will destroy the world, and an alt that said that the solution to "materialism," referring to the ontological theory that things actually exist, was something like Platonic forms. Aff had no idea what was going on, and I think I probably intervened more than a judge typically would because the Neg position was so nonsensical.