kissmyaff

best illinois debaters/opinions?

whats your opinion on illinois debaters (specifically chicago teams but suburbs too)? any especially good/bad ones you have debated? ones to watch out for next year?

whow do you expect to go far in the TOC this year?

This year GBN JT was the best in my mind. They won state, and I bet they'll at least break at the TOC. GBS RS, HoFlo HL, Maine East PS, Niles West GG,Walter Payton BC, the best Whitney Young team (forgot their team code) all have a decent chance of doing well. I know for a fact that Maine East is pretty screwed for next year (Wayne is leaving and they have no Juniors, and not many good Sophomores). In two years Niles West will be good (their Sophomores now are good), but overall, only time will tell.  

Are any of em going to naudl?

Yeah Walter Payton but it's Lenny and some Sophomore I think

• Upvote 1

GBN JT is not better than GBS RS or Niles West GG.. records at major tournaments just prove it.

I guess we'll see at the TOC and at NFL

I guess we'll see at the TOC and at NFL

it's fair game at the TOC but NSDA is a joke for determining who the best circuit debater is.. over half of it is lay debate.

it's fair game at the TOC but NSDA is a joke for determining who the best circuit debater is.. over half of it is lay debate.

Only half? Used to be lucky if you got one circuit round.

• Upvote 1

Either way, do you think my original post was more or less correct tho (other than GBN JT being better that is)?

Edited by Leffen

kind of an egregious claim... I agree that NSDA judging can be bad and that the tournament should feel bad , but often times teams that are in outrounds of the TOC tend to be the ones who also do well at the NSDA tournament  

Either way, do you think my original post was more or less correct tho (other than GBN JT being better that is)?

yes. I did not however, know that Maine East was in Illinois lol.

kind of an egregious claim... I agree that NSDA judging can be bad and that the tournament should feel bad , but often times teams that are in outrounds of the TOC tend to be the ones who also do well at the NSDA tournament  

I guess that's fair, but I think the adaptability requirements are a joke. Especially for K teams (it doesn't apply here) but people who haven't read a policy aff since novice year tend to not do so hot with lay judges. 

• Upvote 2

yes. I did not however, know that Maine East was in Illinois lol.

I guess that's fair, but I think the adaptability requirements are a joke. Especially for K teams (it doesn't apply here) but people who haven't read a policy aff since novice year tend to not do so hot with lay judges. 

lmao this reminds me of my quarters round in state this weekend- 

we had a judge subbed in at the last second who was someone we didn't know

I asked him before the round "what do you think about critiques"

He said "if you really want I can give one after the round". 

*I was very disappointed, but coach said meh we'll just get the other 2 on the panel

We read Warren and, surprisingly, won on a 3-0 

After the round, the "lay judge", despite admittedly not understanding the arguments fully, said, "I really like your discussion of the fact that the world is meaningless because it's imbricated within antiblackness, and I really think that their call to ethical action becomes problematic in the face of that". Also, "your argument was very interesting, and it helps me understand why politics is problematic". 

That was probably one of my favorite moments ever; got the judge who didn't know what the K was to vote on the world has no meaning :) 

• Upvote 4

lmao this reminds me of my quarters round in state this weekend- 

we had a judge subbed in at the last second who was someone we didn't know

I asked him before the round "what do you think about critiques"

He said "if you really want I can give one after the round". 

*I was very disappointed, but coach said meh we'll just get the other 2 on the panel

We read Warren and, surprisingly, won on a 3-0 

After the round, the "lay judge", despite admittedly not understanding the arguments fully, said, "I really like your discussion of the fact that the world is meaningless because it's imbricated within antiblackness, and I really think that their call to ethical action becomes problematic in the face of that". Also, "your argument was very interesting, and it helps me understand why politics is problematic". 

That was probably one of my favorite moments ever; got the judge who didn't know what the K was to vote on the world has no meaning :)

lol my experience with reading a k aff in front of a lay judge (by lay I mean he did policy in high school but he was the guy who read the speed k and framework vs. k affs that defended a plan text just because he thought critical theory shouldn't be discussed in debate) went as follows:

"What the hell was that? You're a disgrace to your institution. Cabot used to be good. (That's actually a lie.) I can't believe I had to watch you read an aff, that you were so bad at and dispassionate at reading (we were bummed because it was our friends last round at a local tournament and this guy was being a total ass before the round) and then you go and use the tools of the state that you're criticizing! At that point, I don't vote on topicality because abuse isn't real, but the fact that the judges had to ask you to flash them your speech means that you engage the very system you criticize. You can't use the tools of the state and criticize it. You did something very wrong, and have disgraced this activity."

lol my experience with reading a k aff in front of a lay judge (by lay I mean he did policy in high school but he was the guy who read the speed k and framework vs. k affs that defended a plan text just because he thought critical theory shouldn't be discussed in debate) went as follows:

"What the hell was that? You're a disgrace to your institution. Cabot used to be good. (That's actually a lie.) I can't believe I had to watch you read an aff, that you were so bad at and dispassionate at reading (we were bummed because it was our friends last round at a local tournament and this guy was being a total ass before the round) and then you go and use the tools of the state that you're criticizing! At that point, I don't vote on topicality because abuse isn't real, but the fact that the judges had to ask you to flash them your speech means that you engage the very system you criticize. You can't use the tools of the state and criticize it. You did something very wrong, and have disgraced this activity."

I gave an oral critique of about that level of harshness at my last tournament, but in fairness, the 2NC was 8 minutes of A-spec, the 2NR was 5 minutes of A-spec, and the Aff's one solvency card was statutory language citing to Congress.gov. I think it may have been the most unpleasant round I've ever judged.

I gave an oral critique of about that level of harshness at my last tournament, but in fairness, the 2NC was 8 minutes of A-spec, the 2NR was 5 minutes of A-spec, and the Aff's one solvency card was statutory language citing to Congress.gov. I think it may have been the most unpleasant round I've ever judged.

Jesus christ that sounds horrible 

Edited by Theparanoiacmachine

This year GBN JT was the best in my mind. They won state, and I bet they'll at least break at the TOC. GBS RS, HoFlo HL, Maine East PS, Niles West GG,Walter Payton BC, the best Whitney Young team (forgot their team code) all have a decent chance of doing well. I know for a fact that Maine East is pretty screwed for next year (Wayne is leaving and they have no Juniors, and not many good Sophomores). In two years Niles West will be good (their Sophomores now are good), but overall, only time will tell.  

Nobody forgets the team code of Whitney Young BF and gets away with it you bastard

• Upvote 2

Nobody forgets the team code of Whitney Young BF and gets away with it you bastard

I'm pretty sure he said the best Whitney Young team

• Upvote 7

I'm pretty sure he said the best Whitney Young team

Listen here you little shit

• Upvote 4